372xp advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpelaston

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker and I am about to add a 70cc class saw to my stable. I have found a 372 at a local dealer that has had new crank bearings, seals, aftermarket top end and cylinder, and new 25" B&C. The shop is asking $500 for it. It's a 2000 non x torq model. I'm looking for advice as to whether this is a good deal or if someone has a lead on a better deal. The saw has a couple bumps and dings but nothing broken.

Thanks
J

What the others have said.
If it was $300-$350 maybe, but you could find a nicer saw here for the same or less money from a reputable builder/rebuilder. I found my 70cc after hunting around here for a week.
There are also Husky 365, jonsered 2165 and jonsered 2171 in the same range.
From the White and Orange camp there is 044, and 440, and 441

Yeah, that's high. I paid $325 for my OEM 371XP several years ago, and just paid $200 (Well, $275 by the time I had my buddy go pick it up and ship it to me) for a 2015 model 2166 that looks to be really clean. I'd pay up to $400 for a semi-clean, all-OEM-parts 371 or early 372. My personal opinion, even if it's in good cosmetic shape, if it's that age and has a non-OEM top end on it, that's maybe a $350 saw to me.

Mike

All good info guys. That 562 posted above is tempting but I was hoping for a 70+cc saw that can run a 24" B&C well. Will that 562 be able to do that?

I currently have a 346xp OE that I am using to drop and buck the smaller ash that are dead in my woods and would like the bigger saw to work the larger end of the spectrum. I have more than a few that are over 30" and nearing 40" in diameter.

I personally would love a Dolmar 7300 or larger but with only one dealer in my area that I know of, and my budget, finding a used one is near impossible.

My thought is that would probably be the longest you would want to practically run on a 60cc.
But if you already have a 50cc saw, I would wait for a 70cc or above.

As everyone else has said. Price is high. I found a 365 special that I put a big bore kit on. If I'm not mistaken the same cylinder and cylinder assembly that is found the xpw ,which is about 75ccs. I modded the muffler and tuned it in and honestly one of best purchases I have made. I don't know what sites you use but I run across 365s to 372s all day long on Craigslist. Hell a majority of people who own those types of saws don't even use them but a couple times a year. I live on the east coast in va. Depending upon the brand you get in the cylinder assemblies, it can be fairly cheap or can be rather expensive. I went with the hutzle aftermarket assembly and so far so good. I will be putting it to the test with in the next week. I have another 372 that i have had for some time and I will tell you I absolutely love the saw. It's a work horse. I wish you the best of luck and I can assure you the 372 will be one of your favorite saws if not the best one you have. I have only used huskys so to be honest I'm sure the stihl guys could point you in the right direction as well.

Thank you all for the advice. I went way off the rails and bought an echo CS-680 from a local dealer and like it so far. Now to get better at filing my chains. Think I screwed the one on the echo up. It was far better new than after I touched it up.

Screenshot_20161014-205050.png Honestly I use a dremel with an attachment. I'm sure Walmart has them in stock. It's just a sharpening stone. It takes alot less effort. What type of chain are you using? Full chisel, or semi chisel? Semi I find works alot better on the dirty wood.

Back