372XP free bee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

Also your transfer divider shouldn't have a sharp edge. Here is a pic of a 371 I just did for reference.

attachment.php

Thank you for the picture! Now that I think about it, I understand why the divider shouldn't have a sharp edge....the air doesn't flow that way.

Finished muffler with the factory port opened up...

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2659.jpg

I know that this will possibly be a bottle neck in the whole saw, we will see how it turns out though.

Yes, I have printed off a degree wheel to have a crack at this porting thing the right way....

Nightly update

I think I have the lower transfers and the cylinder skirt done, please let me know if I have missed something...

DSCN2660.jpg

DSCN2662.jpg

DSCN2681.jpg

A couple questions:

Is there anyway to keep the carbide bits from clogging up with aluminum??

Would it be safe to start intake and exhaust porting with the old piston for reference? I have a Meteor on it's way.

If you spray the work with WD40/CRC occasionally, it will keep the burs clog free. If your bur is clogged, just spray the job and continue cutting and eventually it will clear.

On the chain side, the inside of the transfer is slightly restricted compared to the flywheel side. Match this to the opposite side.

If you draw a line from the edge of one transfer to the other side, I remove all material including offending cyl, Your job is looking great.

I think I have the lower transfers and the cylinder skirt done, please let me know if I have missed something...

A couple questions:

Is there anyway to keep the carbide bits from clogging up with aluminum??

Would it be safe to start intake and exhaust porting with the old piston for reference? I have a Meteor on it's way.

You can get burrs made for alu that don't clog, I have a couple and they were just called alumacut bits? Don't know why, but they never clog, and I don't have to lube anything while grinding.

Nice work so fay BTW.

Thanks guys! I worked on the transfers more (with lube) and they look much better. The chain side was much more restricted, so I tried to make them match the other side.

So what are your thoughts on porting with the old piston? Should I wait for the new one??

Thanks guys! I worked on the transfers more (with lube) and they look much better. The chain side was much more restricted, so I tried to make them match the other side.

So what are your thoughts on porting with the old piston? Should I wait for the new one??

I don't know? I would assume you will be fine, since the piston doesn't really have skirts and you can go fairly wide. But my first feeling is that you should wait till you have the piston that you will be running, just in case! I know its hard to wait, I feel the same way when doing this stuff.

I weighed the piston before....
DSCN2682.jpg

and after doing the windows...
DSCN2683.jpg

Just a little weight trimmed off.

The windows turned out pretty good...
DSCN2684.jpg

except for one little mishap with the Dremel...
DSCN2685.jpg

I wasn't very happy but it doesn't look like it will hurt anything. It is in the exhaust port and it's smooth, I'll call it a speed dent.:)

except for one little mishap with the Dremel...
DSCN2685.jpg

I wasn't very happy but it doesn't look like it will hurt anything. It is in the exhaust port and it's smooth, I'll call it a speed dent.:)

ROFL...Speed dent. LOL

Looking good. Do you charge extra for the speed dents?

I checked the squish without a base gasket, it's .029"
DSCN2686.jpg

I will mill a .020" pop-up on the piston and then machine .030" off the base of the cylinder. That should put me around .020" squish when done without a base gasket. Does anybody think I should machine a little more so I can use a gasket??

ROFL...Speed dent. LOL

Looking good. Do you charge extra for the speed dents?

Nothing extra, speed dents are free!!;) I was ok with it for my first time. It would have been a mess if I didn't have a layer of tape on it to protect it!!!

Back