372XP free bee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be sore Darrel, just because Brad, Wiggs and you were all sleeping when the deal went down!! LOL!

Well,

To be honest with you, I think it went to the right guy!!!:clap:

Brad, Jeremy and I already have saws that will outrun a Poulan!!!:greenchainsaw:

I checked the squish without a base gasket, it's .029"

I will mill a .020" pop-up on the piston and then machine .030" off the base of the cylinder. That should put me around .020" squish when done without a base gasket. Does anybody think I should machine a little more so I can use a gasket??

YES! I always use a gasket. Machine the thickness of the gasket off too! I find it easier then dealing with a bunch of sealant, if you ever have to take it apart.

Here's some pictures of last night's activites...

Spinning the piston
DSCN2688.jpg

Making the mandrel to machine the base of the cylinder, should have used something closer to the finish size to start with
DSCN2689.jpg

Turning the base...
DSCN2690.jpg

I ended up doing a .020" pop-up on the piston and removed .040" from the base of the cylinder. I will be able to use my regular .010" gasket material for the base gasket.

Here's some pictures of last night's activites...

Spinning the piston
Making the mandrel to machine the base of the cylinder, should have used something closer to the finish size to start with

Turning the base...

I ended up doing a .020" pop-up on the piston and removed .040" from the base of the cylinder. I will be able to use my regular .010" gasket material for the base gasket.

Nice work Mike!!

Nightly update...

The finished products after the lathe work, not too bad for a parts guy...

DSCN2692.jpg

So I go to check squish, cut my gasket, install piston (less ring), apply solder (.030")....

DSCN2691.jpg

and try to install cylinder. I had to chamfer the cylinder skirt that extends in to the case. The first time I tried it, the piston was sticking at the bottom of the bore, I knew right away what was happening.

DSCN2703.jpg

Checked squish, ended up .026", little more than I wanted, but I can always adjust that later if needed with a thinner gasket.

Next up was checking where I was at with the port timing. I printed off a timing wheel and stuck it to a cd, stole that idea from somebody else here.

DSCN2704.jpg

My numbers right now are:

Exhaust 100
Transfers 124
Intake 80

Not too far from where I want to be. I'm gonna raise the exhaust and the transfers a bit, intake is good where it's at.

I wouldn't touch the exhaust timing. You might raise the transfers up to 120°, but no more.

Just recheck your no's again Mike. Sound high at the Ex for a 372. Most of us port to 160°. Yours is reading that after machining. Are you just using your eye to check when opening?

Ya I agree with these guys. Al has got these down pat, he helped me out allot with the numbers game.

Got to make sure to cut the bottom of the cylinder where it goes into the case after machining the base, I made that mistake the first time and wondered WTF, I'd take some more off the base to get it at .020.

My saw ended up with 120° transfers, and 98.5° on ex and intake closes at 75° ATDC 21.5° blowdown. And I'm real happy with the way it runs. Just take your time and get it right, you'll be happier in the end.

Back