372xp or 575xp or Stihl 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are the first here to speak so highly about the 575:dizzy: , did you mean 576? Hope so.......

Actually, the title of this thread should have the 576 in it to begin with and not the 575. Although there is still some inventory in the pipeline, the 575 is essentially a discontinued model.

Also, some but not all of the changes to the 576 are already in the 575, regarding lower end improvements. (not the weight or performance changes to my knowledge)

I also have plenty of customers that love their 575's. The 575's certainly had some issues, especially the early ones. But on forums such as this, "some" becomes "all" in many peoples minds.

On a side note: As of yesterday afternoon, my order status with Husky still shows a ship date of this coming Monday for some 576's. I wonder.:dizzy:

I know it`s not on u`r list but give the MS460 a look, My be-loved MS440`s are all gone. Add a Dual port muffler cover it`s worth the effort.

Spike, when did the lower end improvments come about in the current 575's?

Any serial # breaks or years? Count me as one that loves his 05 model 575xp and laughs at these post. If the 576 will out perform the 575 it will be one heck of a saw.

Actually, the title of this thread should have the 576 in it to begin with and not the 575. Although there is still some inventory in the pipeline, the 575 is essentially a discontinued model.

Also, some but not all of the changes to the 576 are already in the 575, regarding lower end improvements. (not the weight or performance changes to my knowledge)

I also have plenty of customers that love their 575's. The 575's certainly had some issues, especially the early ones. But on forums such as this, "some" becomes "all" in many peoples minds.

On a side note: As of yesterday afternoon, my order status with Husky still shows a ship date of this coming Monday for some 576's. I wonder.:dizzy:

...snippy... Look at the World logging championships in Germany that was held this year. More people used a 575xp or a ms460 than any other saw-noboby (or nobody that place anyways) used a ms441-because they suck, and very few used a dolmar 7900. check it out-

http://www.wlc-germany-2008.com/jx-news.html;Jmxhbmd1YWdlPWdi?PHPSESSID=60i85v8t1f3q79k59spi0pea80 ... snip...

LY,

Well, I did look. You did intend for some of us to actually look. Right?

What I see is this. For the championship, when the scores for the five individual events were added, the winner, Mr. Balz Recher used a Stihl MS440. You following along at home? Yep, Balz use the saw with the most Balz, the MS440. Three out of the top five places were loggers using Stihls. Out of the 86 contestants, those who finished 84th, 85th and 86th used Husky 372XPs.

Mr. Yokel, that was indeed an interesting first post. But, I guess you misjudged the ability of the average AS poster.

Now, these brand wars will continue. It's mostly done in threads that quickly turn into a Tommie vs. Woodie main event with the usual cast of characters entering the fray. But, in this thread, it appears that someone may be interested in the merits of several 70cc class saws.

Now, here's the botton line.

The MS440 and 372XP are legends. You can't go wrong here.

The MS441 and 575XP has modest power gains over there predesessors, but they got a little porky for the "weight it and slay it" crowd. Those that use them are happy. The 576XP promises to be a great saw, but is untested.

Now, the man who started this thread is bucking firewood, currently with a 290 fitted with a 20" bar. He wants to 28" bar so he won't have to bend over. Any of the saws mentioned, the MS440, the MS441, the 372XP, the 575XP and the 576XP, should bring a smile to fyrslyer's face for years to come and with fresh mix, a sharp chain and proper carb setting will be a saw his heirs will argue over.

Let freedom ring,

Joat

LY,

What I see is this. For the championship, when the scores for the five individual events were added, the winner, Mr. Balz Recher used a Stihl MS440. You following along at home? Yep, Balz use the saw with the most Balz, the MS440. Three out of the top five places were loggers using Stihls. Out of the 86 contestants, those who finished 84th, 85th and 86th used Husky 372XPs.

Mr. Yokel, that was indeed an interesting first post. But, I guess you misjudged the ability of the average AS poster.

I meant for all reading this post to look-that's why I posted the link smart guy, I did not even mention the 440-I said nobody used the MS441. To assume that I "misjudged the ability of the average AS poster" says it all........you must assume alot and more than likely think even less-read my words and don't put any in my mouth Joat. With the kind of competion in the world logging championships I would bet it comes down to the operator just as much as the saw. MS460, MS440, 372xp, 2171 turbo-even the 576 and 2071's all over the board......where's the MS441's?????? I know for a fact there has been a new one sitting up at the local dealership for the last 2 years and nobody wants it, where as 372's 575's and 460's get sold. How do you figure a 440 has more "balz" than a 460???? Did you read it on the web somewhere?

p.s how much you wanna bet the "new" '08 576 is just a 575 xp with 570 top plastic and slightly different adjusters on the carb to get the 5.8hp. Mine is a late '07 (3rd gen???) model and it states 5.5hp in the manual instead of the usual 5.4-where did the 1/10hp come from?

The 440 has the slight weight advantage while the 460 is better suited for a longer bar. I think both are the best 70cc saws ever made but I like the 440 more.

The 441s are great saws, at a recent gtg, a 441 hung with a NE 576 in the same cut so it's power is valid. I can't see why your dealer can move the 575 and not a 441, very few saw nuts like the 575 here. While I think the 441 and 575 are a step in the right direction, it only took Stihl one time to make it right.

LY,

I meant for all reading this post to look-that's why I posted the link smart guy, I did not even mention the 440-I said nobody used the MS441. To assume that I "misjudged the ability of the average AS poster" says it all........you must assume alot and more than likely think even less-read my words and don't put any in my mouth Joat. With the kind of competion in the world logging championships I would bet it comes down to the operator just as much as the saw. MS460, MS440, 372xp, 2171 turbo-even the 576 and 2071's all over the board......where's the MS441's?????? I know for a fact there has been a new one sitting up at the local dealership for the last 2 years and nobody wants it, where as 372's 575's and 460's get sold. How do you figure a 440 has more "balz" than a 460???? Did you read it on the web somewhere?

p.s how much you wanna bet the "new" '08 576 is just a 575 xp with 570 top plastic and slightly different adjusters on the carb to get the 5.8hp. Mine is a late '07 (3rd gen???) model and it states 5.5hp in the manual instead of the usual 5.4-where did the 1/10hp come from?

Local,

Well, I used a little play on words. You've posted, but maybe you haven't seen too many posts. Stick around. We laugh, we share, we joke, we jab and poke.

I'll give you this, you had the balz to speak up.

Kudos,

Joat

Careful with the 441!!

I've never used a 440, I hear they're sweet.. wish I had one. Anyways, I own a 441, and would advise everyone to hold their horses with buying it, at least for the moment. I work with another fellow who owns one, and both of ours are about as reliable as chaos theory... Both of our saws do the same thing- one day they run fine, all day long, no problems. The next, or even sometimes later that day, they bog out horribly, (theyre tuned, I promise) refuse to idle, refuse to run sometimes, and are downright awful.

I'm beginning to contemplate two possibilities: 1) I'm wondering if my and my coworker's saws are a canadian model, and therefore different from most of yours, as I hear no problems from anoyone else at all, despite the fact that the Stihl Dealership in town has told us both that these saws are basically a dud model and require an updated carb and fueltank to run right. Interesting considering that Ive searched the interent for hours and havent found a single peice of evidence to support the "dud saw" theory. 2) Maybe its the cold? We live and work in Northern B.C., its cold here, -26F this morning, and although not usually that cold, itll stay well below freezing for the rest of the month. Anyone out there use their 441 at those temperatures?

What we know is not causing problems: bad fuel, plugs, tuning, air filters & maintenance etc.

I've never used a 440, I hear they're sweet.. wish I had one. Anyways, I own a 441, and would advise everyone to hold their horses with buying it, at least for the moment. I work with another fellow who owns one, and both of ours are about as reliable as chaos theory... Both of our saws do the same thing- one day they run fine, all day long, no problems. The next, or even sometimes later that day, they bog out horribly, (theyre tuned, I promise) refuse to idle, refuse to run sometimes, and are downright awful.

I'm beginning to contemplate two possibilities: 1) I'm wondering if my and my coworker's saws are a canadian model, and therefore different from most of yours, as I hear no problems from anoyone else at all, despite the fact that the Stihl Dealership in town has told us both that these saws are basically a dud model and require an updated carb and fueltank to run right. Interesting considering that Ive searched the interent for hours and havent found a single peice of evidence to support the "dud saw" theory. 2) Maybe its the cold? We live and work in Northern B.C., its cold here, -26F this morning, and although not usually that cold, itll stay well below freezing for the rest of the month. Anyone out there use their 441 at those temperatures?

What we know is not causing problems: bad fuel, plugs, tuning, air filters & maintenance etc.

Had mine for 2.5 yrs. No trouble at all.

Is the 441 supposed to be tuned in the old ("normal) way, or is it something like the 575/576 Huskys?

The factory actually send out 2 vital peices of information to the dealers. 1 is an operators manual, the other is a workshop manual. As a guess I would say 1% of dealers have actually read them.

With the 575, its not a case of "set low jet, set high jet with tach to high rpm"

I have posted the tuning manual somewhere on AS... Ill see if I can find it

Basicaly here is how its done.

Step 1. Set L jet as per normal.
Step 2. Set Idle as per normal.
Step 3. Grab your tacho, set H jet to 13000 RPM.
Step 4. Put down your tach
Step 5. Turn the H jet IN (yes, IN) 3/4 of a turn.

So, not having a dig at ya because ya didnt know, but the "richen the H jet" solution is a bad one...

STK

Last edited:
The new MS 441 is super sweet - it cuts so smooth now. Nothing like the old mid-large saws that shook till you had no feeling in your hands. It seemed a little heavy when I first picked it up but after using it a while it is not uncomfortable at all. It feels strong and powerful without feeling overwhelming.

LY,

Joat

Joat your a cruel man,LOLOL

The fuel line was revised on some but other than that the 441 has been fine. I was impressed when I had a chance to run one.

So true, that they did. Seems in some hot climate areas it would vapor lock, problem long solved,hehe

I have said this over and over .Before anyone bashes a 441 run one more than
2 minutes mine will cut with a 460 and yes i will prove it.We have had 2
and never never had a problem .My dealer does a lot of saw work and has yet
to get one back.Just like them new fangeled cars with that fancy fuel injection
and all .Its like the internet its going to go away just aint like the good ol
stuff. Sound familar. How many of you like your new powerfull start in any
weather trucks that everybody whined about years ago.

I have said this over and over .Before anyone bashes a 441 run one more than
2 minutes mine will cut with a 460 and yes i will prove it.We have had 2
and never never had a problem .My dealer does a lot of saw work and has yet
to get one back.Just like them new fangeled cars with that fancy fuel injection
and all .Its like the internet its going to go away just aint like the good ol
stuff. Sound familar. How many of you like your new powerfull start in any
weather trucks that everybody whined about years ago.

This man speaks the truth.

Back