372xp or 575xp or Stihl 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you aware that the 371- and 385-family Huskys has an inboard clutch?

In theory the chain adjuster could make it collect more noodles than a Stihl anyway - but it doesn't seem to happen.......:givebeer:

Niko,

I've owned a 372XP and an MS440. The noodles clog the 372XP very quickly. I've had no problem with the MS440 in this regard. This is not theory. This is in practice.

I've stated this on two other occasions. In order to make the record complete, I like both the 372XP and the MS440. I like the MS440 for two reasons: I have other Stihls, so I like the bar compatibility. The other is the blocking/noodling issues being discussed.

Now, when this was discussed before, others reported similar experiences to my own. In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, some reported no problems with 372XP in this matter. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy or truthfulness of those with experiences that differ from mine.

I also remember you and another member offering to coach me in the proper technique to mitigate the problems of noodling with the 372XP. I politely declined because I find my technique, whether flawed or not, is quite compatible with the MS440.

I will also say that my experience with the 390XP is similar to that of the 372XP in this matter, and that my experience with the MS660 is similar to the MS440 in this regard.

Now, you can take your big bag of specs and add to it your German testing databases and they still add up to a fat zero in the real world of experiences.

Please share your experiences,

Joat

Last edited:
Niko,

I've owned a 372XP and an MS440. The noodles clog the 372XP very quickly. I've had no problem with the MS440 in this regard. This is not theory. This is in practice.

I've stated this on two other occasions. In order to make the record complete, I like both the 372XP and the MS440. I like the MS440 for two reasons: I have other Stihls, so I like the bar compatibility. The other is the blocking/noodling issues being discussed.

Now, when this was discussed before, others reported similar experiences to my own. In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, some reported no problems with 372XP in this matter. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy or truthfulness of those with experiences that differ from mine.

I also remember you and another member offering to coach me in the proper technique to mitigate the problems of noodling with the 372XP. I politely declined because I find my technique, whether flawed or not, is quite compatible with the MS440.

I will also say that my experience with the 390XP is similar to that of the 372XP in this matter, and that my experience with the MS660 is similar to the MS440 in this regard.

Now, you can take you big bag of specs and add to it your German testing databases and they still add up to a fat zero in the real world of experiences.

Joat

I actually expected to find what you have found, because the 372 cover looks "untidy" on the inside - but it just didn't happen.......:jawdrop:

Another oddity, my 353 is hopeless for noodling, while the 346xp does just fine, just as good as the 5100S so far.......:confused:

I suspect that there are some factors involved, that we haven't figured out yet.

The rounds that I noodle usually are 12-14" long (firewood rounds that doesn't want to split). I try to cut at a slight angle up/down, and to keep some bar between the wood and the saw.

Last edited:
Niko,

Now, you can take your big bag of specs and add to it your German testing databases and they still add up to a fat zero in the real world of experiences.

Joat

Wow, talk about bringing the heat! :popcorn:

I actually expected to find what you have found, because the 372 cover looks "untidy" on the inside - but it just didn't happen.......:jawdrop:

Another oddity, my 353 is hopeless for noodling, while the 346xp does just fine, just as good as the 5100S so far.......:confused:

I suspect that there are some factors involved, that we haven't figured out yet.

The rounds that I noodle usually are 12-14" long (firewood rounds that doesn't want to split). I try to cut at a slight angle up/down, and to keep some bar between the wood and the saw.

Now, try it in comparison to a 70cc Stihl and you'll see what we are talking about.

It's hard to have perspective without experience.

Now, try it in comparison to a 70cc Stihl and you'll see what we are talking about.

It's hard to have perspective without experience.

Why does he need to try it with a 70cc Stihl? He already said his PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the 372 is that it doesn't clog.

So if his 372 doesn't clog, and if your 440/441 doesn't clog...where is the perspective he's missing?

Why does he need to try it with a 70cc Stihl? He already said his PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with the 372 is that it doesn't clog.

So if his 372 doesn't clog, and if your 440/441 doesn't clog...where is the perspective he's missing?

Because these people who likely have as much 372 experience and MUCH more sawing under their belt say otherwise.

Unless you're blocking/noodling!

Now or never. That fairy tale has been running longer than this presidential election.

They don't clear noodles well compared to a Stihl.

Yes.

I've used a 372 for the same tasks as the 441 and it ain't got it. The clutch cover must just be more narrow.

Niko,

Joat

Simple fix, break the chain cover off at the nuts.....:givebeer:

Last edited:
I've noodled a lot with my 372xp and it does clog up, but seem like the wood has to be wet, it has to be close to the wood (spikes right on it), and close to the ground. And even this is not every time, so it's rare.
But when it does, I just take it out of the cut and a couple revs will clear it. Throws it out the front like a noodle gun.
I'm will to bet it I wasn't so agressive in the cut, it wouldn't clog. But I cut every with like that.
I don't noodle with my 044 much, but it's clogged on me to. But I don't remember the conditions it took to make it do it. I cleared it the same way as the Husky.
If I have a lot of problems with the saw clogging on a piece or wood. I just turn the saw upside down or roll the log 180 and cut upwards.
Now my 7900 noodling is a whole different story.

Last edited:
Because these people who likely have as much 372 experience and MUCH more sawing under their belt say otherwise.

So let me get this straight...you're taking someone else's experience to show the need for Troll to have some?

Troll said his 372 works perfectly well for noodling. You're saying your 441 works better.

But if his already works perfectly well, and for the record--mine does too, well then what would his handling a 441 prove? That it works perfectly...weller?

So let me get this straight...you're taking someone else's experience to show the need for Troll to have some?

Troll said his 372 works perfectly well for noodling. You're saying your 441 works better.

But if his already works perfectly well, and for the record--mine does too, well then what would his handling a 441 prove? That it works perfectly...weller?

No, it's nothing more than giving Troll a taste of his own medicine. How often does he cite examples without any experience?\

Here are several people with more experience than he who say differently than him.

If it works well for him, then ok. It doesn't work well for others and they have moved on.

I've found my 7900 to be the best noodler I have in house. :cool:

there is one downfall of the 7900 for noodleing.....

here is a pic of the stock 6400/7300/7900 makita 6401, etc chain catcher. The chain is loose becasue the bar cover is off and I couldn't hold it tight while snapping the pic. Not a whole lot of room in there once the chain is tight...

attachment.php

here is the modded chain catcher...

attachment.php

another....

attachment.php

Only complaint I ever had with the saw, and it really wasn't a complaint!

Thanks Steve, I might have to look into doing that mod... if I ever have a few minutes of free time (hopefully 2010). :)

:agree2: If it works, who cares. My 2171 noodles fine for the record.

Latest posts

Back