372XP Rebuild and mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too Jasha. I've built several 395s with 220psi. :)

Just curious,how hard is it to test compression on a big cc saw like a 395xp with 220psi? My 395 is at 165psi and it is really tough to pull that sucker over without the decomp. My 288 and 385 are not that bad.

Ya, I'm just as shocked as you guys. We shall see what happens with it.

I think the 372 Randy built me was around 195 last I looked but I would have to recheck that to be sure. I don't notice that it gets too hot but I keep it under 13,800 to be sure because it does get worked some.

Just curious,how hard is it to test compression on a big cc saw like a 395xp with 220psi? My 395 is at 165psi and it is really tough to pull that sucker over without the decomp. My 288 and 385 are not that bad.

A high compression 395 is not hard to pull over. A 390 is much harder. I imagine it has to do with the diameter of the pulley.

Where was the ex at?

Maybe I took more out of the squish then I thought???

I wonder if the AM jug has a smaller combustion chamber?

I just pull........hard.......with commitment. :laugh:

I think the 372 Randy built me was around 195 last I looked but I would have to recheck that to be sure. I don't notice that it gets too hot but I keep it under 13,800 to be sure because it does get worked some.

I sure appreciate the updates and feedback. I worry more about the 372 and 390 cranks than any saws I build. I think a limited coil is a must on these saws if they are used for limbing.....

On my own 372 I tuned it with an unlimited coil then installed a 13,300 blue coil......

I sure appreciate the updates and feedback. I worry more about the 372 and 390 cranks than any saws I build. I think a limited coil is a must on these saws if they are used for limbing.....

On my own 372 I tuned it with an unlimited coil then installed a 13,300 blue coil......

I like the timing on the blue coils better and am now running those in both my work 372 and 385s. My 390 has a NOS black coil from an early 385 because it's headed out for porting soon.

I like the timing on the blue coils better and am now running those in both my work 372 and 385s. My 390 has a NOS black coil from an early 385 because it's headed out for porting soon.

I don't see any reason to ditch the limited coil for my own saws. I have them from 13,000 to 14,100......

I cut three 372XPWs last week. The one that made the most was 185.

I haven't measured a XPW top end but a stock 372 combustion chamber is 6.8cc and the NWP BB kit is also 6.8cc. Cutting 0.030" off the squish took it down to 6.1cc. Taking another 0.020" (0.050" in total) I'm going to guess would bring the chamber down around 5.7cc.

A high compression 395 is not hard to pull over. A 390 is much harder. I imagine it has to do with the diameter of the pulley.

The pulley on the 395 is bigger than the 372 or 390. Still if you get a 395 above 200 psi your going to want to hit the decomp button before pulling the cord.

I haven't measured a XPW top end but a stock 372 combustion chamber is 6.8cc and the NWP BB kit is also 6.8cc. Cutting 0.030" off the squish took it down to 6.1cc. Taking another 0.020" (0.050" in total) I'm going to guess would bring the chamber down around 5.7cc.

Good info Shawn.

I wonder if the AM jug has a smaller combustion chamber?

I just pull........hard.......with commitment. :laugh:

I dunno Randy, thus one is OEM, I do have a BB here I could check.

This one came with a blue coil, but I have a black one in it now, I may try the blue.

The hardest saw I own to start is a poulan 5200, that thing is just retarded.

I have a Poulan S25CVA that pumps 190 psi from 39cc displacement. :msp_scared:
To add to it's hard to start problem is a carb 4 inches above the pick up, old flappers in the carb that lets the fuel drain down and a long fuel line. When I cut the squish on that one I should have drilled it for a decomp. It's pulls a 16" bar so well I've been tempted to put felling dogs on it but you better have more then a few limbs to cut because it's a SOB to start the first time.

Anyone know a source for an inline universal primer bulb?

I ain't scared.

I don't just lick the envelope, I push it!!

If ya ain't livin on the edge you're taking up too much space!

Yep! you're really pushin it Willie.......I would've thought you would've said, "they'll never take me alive".....Hahahahahahaha!

Ran the saw today doing some cleanup at my inlaws, getting ready for the haloween fire tonignt. Saw ran flawless, just had to reset the idle, and lean out the high. Ran really great.

Ran the saw today doing some cleanup at my inlaws, getting ready for the haloween fire tonignt. Saw ran flawless, just had to reset the idle, and lean out the high. Ran really great.

Good! Glad you got it figured out.

But you know what they say.....:popcorn:

Did find any gains with the fixed vent?

Back