372XP Rebuild and mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you cut the bottom of the cylinder sleeve off by the transfers ? it didnt look removed in one of the pictures

Nice, I wouldn't doubt it, mine has 2* more ex too, it's at 98.

I've went through 3 gauges in the past year so I've give up on compression gauges. I haven't run it with a 32" buried in hardwood yet to see how it acts. It may need the compression lowered a little for working like that.

I think my xpw is probably pushing 200 lbs if i had to guess. I think it had .050" cut out of the chamber and the exhaust raised back to 100.

Yeah I'd say so Mike! Mine just had ~.020 cut from it and squish at .024. Its at 175 with 1 tank through it. I really didn't want it super high though. I got lots and lots of work for this saw. I like it where it is for my intended use :msp_thumbup:.

It seems like it's pretty high when pulling it over. Next time I'm down your way I'll have to bring it and check it. It runs good like it is with great torque.

Finally here it is.

A few cuts in the vid wern't too bad, I guess I could of shortened it a bit. Oh well.

[video=youtube;cr3ZbiNA1Uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3ZbiNA1Uw[/video]

Yeah that lil hicup was weird.
Other than that it sounded good.
If you don't want it, I'll take it.:biggrin:
Why no high top?
What was it wearing?

Yeah that lil hicup was weird.
Other than that it sounded good.
If you don't want it, I'll take it.:biggrin:
Why no high top?
What was it wearing?

LOL, I think I'll keep it for now. If you listen close when I put it down you can hear the erratic idle, hard to hear with the other saw an the chipper running. That's a 28" bar skip with 8pin. No high top cause that's what it came with. It kept going lean on the high too, I had it around 14k kept going up to 14.8k, barely 4 stroking, I don't like that.

LOL, I think I'll keep it for now. If you listen close when I put it down you can hear the erratic idle, hard to hear with the other saw an the chipper running. That's a 28" bar skip with 8pin.

It's hard to hear anything with a chipper running.
Thats skip:msp_scared::msp_thumbup:

Other saw sounded good as well is that your other 372?

It's hard to hear anything with a chipper running.
Thats skip:msp_scared::msp_thumbup:

Other saw sounded good as well is that your other 372?

The other saw in the vid was a 390 done by me as well, its got pretty mild porting, I never got any vid of my other 372 running today, I should of.

Last edited:
The other saw in the vid was a 390 done by me as well, I never got any vid of my other 372 running today, I should of.

Looked like a good tree for it.

I must say you can build some runners.

I do ok I guess. As you can see he was having chain troubles, must of hit something, he just put it down at the end.

Like I said I'll take a saw that you are not using. :)
Yard trees, I'm surprised when I don't hit something.
Its a shame too, I've seen some Nice trees get chunked up for firewood just for this reason.

Bad tank vent?
I'd like to see what it does with the vent fixed.
How far out are you on the screws.
You'd think a 385/390 carb would be an easy swap on that 372.

Screws are at least 1 1/4, maybe slightly more, maybe I should try a 385 carb. I don't expect it to be much faster with it running right. It should open up some more though once broken in.

Well I figured out what the tank vent issue was, I must have had a retard moment when putting the tank on.

This is the way it looked when installed, as soon as I popped the green elbow off I heard the tank start venting.

attachment.php

WOW! Tested today when cold, after 1 tank of gas. HMM What to do? I think I'm just going to run it and see what happens.

attachment.php

That's a pretty intense number but I think it'll be fine. As long as you're running good quality oil and gas you should be able to keep from turning the top of the piston into molten alloy.

I don't need that much compression though. :)

That's a pretty intense number but I think it'll be fine. As long as you're running good quality oil and gas you should be able to keep from turning the top of the piston into molten alloy.

I don't need that much compression though. :)

LOL, I really wasn't shooting for this much, I've always had trouble getting enough comp out of 372's before, so I took a little more and well, look what happened. If I were running this thing as a full time gig I would not leave it that way. When I did run it the other day it did not exhibit symptoms of running hot.

Latest posts

Back