372XP Rebuild and mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been looking for a square grinder for the last 6 months and can never seem to find a good deal on one. it is looking like i better keep practicing my hand filing

Bill G has a Swingarm on Ebay now. There's another in our Classifieds.

the price that is on the grinder in the classified is way too close to new price for me. i also cant buy from ebay any more since i dont have a paypal account. my account is permanently done becouse of the charity raffle.

I have the ultra rare Sithl Square grinder attachment for the USG grinder. I have never used it as I have a northern grinder and can't make it work for the time and what it is.. So until I find an older usg that isn't worn out, I'm sticking with hand filing.....

the price that is on the grinder in the classified is way too close to new price for me. i also cant buy from ebay any more since i dont have a paypal account. my account is permanently done becouse of the charity raffle.

That's really Lame Terry, isn't there anyway you can get reinstated?

ive tried to appeal it twice and get the same answer .no
i could get a new bank account ,email address, ebay account and use one of my kids names to get a new account. but i dont see it being worth it.

Same here. But can you really pin the whole problem on high compression?

Can't be said for sure Will. My 371 doesn't rev as some do as I built for torque so considering the quality parts I used, it points to compression.

Big end rod bearing was fine I take it? I know others are doing their own testing.

Big and small were fine. Even the piston felt good with the pin, but I didn't risk it considering it had been kissing the lid! Those parts replaced and all good. Yeah sure big ends cop it but it doesn't make the small end exempt I suppose.

I've always thought that too Al. I've always liked around 180. I'm just trying stuff on my own saws and having some fun.[/QUOTE

Yeah Will, as you do, hence the 371 running 205.

If I keep only one saw, this one will be it. It sure ran nicer with 205 psi though!

Can't be said for sure Will. My 371 doesn't rev as some do as I built for torque so considering the quality parts I used, it points to compression.

Big and small were fine. Even the piston felt good with the pin, but I didn't risk it considering it had been kissing the lid! Those parts replaced and all good. Yeah sure big ends cop it but it doesn't make the small end exempt I suppose.

Yeah Will, as you do, hence the 371 running 205.

If I keep only one saw, this one will be it. It sure ran nicer with 205 psi though!

Was that a BB kit Al, with the 064 piston? Even with quality parts you can get a dud, but yes it may just point to the compression. We'll see how this holds up, but I won't be able to put a whole lot of time on it this winter.

ive tried to appeal it twice and get the same answer .no
i could get a new bank account ,email address, ebay account and use one of my kids names to get a new account. but i dont see it being worth it.

I've had a real love/hate relationship with them for years (50/50)

That darned PP is convenient, tho'

That sucks, and not in a good way.

luck,greg

Paypal is a form of dictatorship/oligarchy. They don't respond much to petitions.

Similar to the 'bay, they are up to 8% commission now I think and take your money regardless of the auction outcomes. You basically have to fight to get it back. But I guess they don't have a real competitor...

Was that a BB kit Al, with the 064 piston? Even with quality parts you can get a dud, but yes it may just point to the compression. We'll see how this holds up, but I won't be able to put a whole lot of time on it this winter.

Yes Will. The barrel is looking consistent all the way through. I can't factor the barrel in it's demise. Nor the piston really. Short of doing any length measurements and the pin felt snug and by eye no evidence of fractures. It was replaced due to whacking the squish band. Ne evidence at the pin either. This leaves the small end bearing. Small end journal felt fine with new parts and been running fine since.

Sure, new OEM and quality parts are not exempt from their run/percentage of less than optimum, but I tend to think higher compression will bring on a failure earlier.

Paypal is a form of dictatorship/oligarchy. They don't respond much to petitions.

Oh I know, just that I don't believe in just rolling over!

Last edited:
Yes Will. The barrel is looking consistent all the way through. I can't factor the barrel in it's demise. Nor the piston really. Short of doing any length measurements and the pin felt snug and by eye no evidence of fractures. It was replaced due to whacking the squish band. Ne evidence at the pin either. This leaves the small end bearing. Small end journal felt fine with new parts and been running fine since.

Sure, new OEM and quality parts are not exempt from their run/percentage of less than optimum, but I tend to think higher compression will bring on a failure earlier.

Oh I know, just that I don't believe in just rolling over!

I didn't think it was the BB's fault, was just curious, withe the piston hitting the top, can usually be only the bearing.

Well I'm back from running the saw. Good thing I brought my old faithful 372, cause the new one ran like ****, kept going lean, idle was hunting around up and down, was chasing the tune, just generally crap!! At one point at first it just kept dying in the cut then would not restart, then I think I tracked it down to a bad tank vent, a soon as I opened the cap, it restarted and ran fine again for a bit, so I kept cracking the cap open, then got fed up and just stopped running it before I blew it up. The other 372 sure ran great though, as it always does. So going to replace the tank vent and try again. Got a video uploading right now good or bad I'll show it, not very impressive, and was cutting really knarly knotty wood, at one point when it was running ok I saw up to 11,000 in the cut, 28" bar 8pin. Going to be a while for the vid to be done, probably this EVE.

Well I'm back from running the saw. Good thing I brought my old faithful 372, cause the new one ran like ****, kept going lean, idle was hunting around up and down, was chasing the tune, just generally crap!! At one point at first it just kept dying in the cut then would not restart, then I think I tracked it down to a bad tank vent, a soon as I opened the cap, it restarted and ran fine again for a bit, so I kept cracking the cap open, then got fed up and just stopped running it before I blew it up. The other 372 sure ran great though, as it always does. So going to replace the tank vent and try again. Got a video uploading right now good or bad I'll show it, not very impressive, and was cutting really knarly knotty wood, at one point when it was running ok I saw up to 11,000 in the cut, 28" bar 8pin. Going to be a while for the vid to be done, probably this EVE.
503 8280-04 is a vented cap, makes the stock vent redundant.

I think my xpw is probably pushing 200 lbs if i had to guess. I think it had .050" cut out of the chamber and the exhaust raised back to 100.

Latest posts

Back