372xp vs. 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbyerly

Reaction score
Good morning guys, first post here...
Question for the experts. My go-to saw is my 562xp. It's my first pro saw, it's stock and I'm very happy with it. I came across a good deal on a 372xp and ended up buying it. Took it to the woods with my 562 this past weekend and compared the two saws in some oak. The 372 is much harder to start than the 562, and it doesn't always stay running if I'm not on the throttle. I thought the 372 was going to really impress me, however in a side by side comparison my 562 walked right by it. I felt that the 562 was much faster, which doesn't seem like it should be comparing the difference in spec'd rpms online. I could dig the dogs in and muscle the cuts with the 372 without missing a beat, but I felt like there was some speed lacking. I've never tuned a saw, but I'm wondering if this could be as simple as the 372 needing a tune? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply holeycow. I had just sharpened both chains with my stihl 2in1 before going out. Think this could be solved by adjusting the tuning or are you thinking it's got bigger issues? When I bought it the seller couldn't get it running. Gave $100 without seeing it run, turned out it was just flooded. I'm just looking to get it running as it should be.

Everybodies "sharp" is different (and suspect), especially when using a crutch, like a file holder. Anyway,
your 372 should clobber your 562. Do your chains self feed through the wood, almost to the point of having to hold them back?

"hard to start" is likely tuning. Or it could be plumb wore out. Pull the muffler on the 372 and have a look at the piston through the exhaust port. Use a good light and look at everything you can see as you move the piston through its stroke.

find a tuning video if you are not fully versed in tuning a saw. Try "Steves small engine saloon", or perhaps "buckin billy ray smith", or maybe you can find a video on here that doesn't use a tach. Until coils became limited, a tach wasn't even remotely considered as a tuning tool. Is that an x-torq 372, or an older one?

if you bought that saw for 100 bucks and there's nothing wrong with it :numberone::numberone::numberone:!!! Good on you! Could be something as simple as a low speed screw adjustment.

there's some really generous helpers on this site. Welcome!

Thanks again holeycow, excatly the insight was looking for.

My 562 eats, I have to hold it back at times. The 372 did not impress me like the 562 does every time I run it. The 372 doesn't seem to scream like the 562 either...hopefully I can watch some tuning vids and get it dialed in. Thanks for the recommendations. I did have a look at the piston & ring when I bought it and everything looked good.

It's an older 372...not sure what year. You'll notice the little black tag is missing, I didn't discover that until I got home. Thought it might be a reason he let it go for my non-running lowball offer...

I'll watch some videos, tinker with the tuning, and keep you posted on my results.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.PNG
    IMG_0791.PNG
    287.4 KB · Views: 29
The 372 sound like it definitely needs a little adjustment to cut at its best. But, the 562 is a great saw.

I actually sold my 372 recently because the 562 did everything just as well until i got to big wood and in that case i grab the 390 anyway. On paper the 562 is meh, but in the woods it performs way better than specs say it should. To me anyway, for what I cut and how I cut.

Here is the 372's deal. I have had and heavily used 10 or so. 7 pulls cold and 1 pull hot, Everytime all the time Unless there is something wrong with it. My 562, eh not so much. It is consistent as long as you do everything right and it is not too hot out [above 90] then it starts to vapor lock. The 562 is a bit faster than the 372s stock until you get past the 8 to 10" range then the 372 wins. Modded the 372's will take the 562 lunch money and kick it out of the sand box! Cj

Latest posts

Back