372xp w or 390 xp ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFM

jack of all trades...master of none
Reaction score
So here's the question. Should I buy the high praised 372 or lesser talked about 390. I mostly run, and love, my 1985 268xp. She gets the job done.... most of the time. So seeing as the 372 is just a tick bigger, I am worried that I will still be wanting more. Am I nuts??? Lets here your opinions.... I do a lot of clearing/ landscaping but it's more of a second job than a profession. :help:

Depends on what kind of wood and what size of wood you're cutting, among other things. If you oftentimes feel you need a lot more power than your current saw provides, going up a size to the 390 might be the best way to go.

I have both saws. Get them both for sure. Lol. If you think you may ever want a 372xpw you better jump on it. 390xp will still be available later on.

Rick

Are you sure the 268xp is a 1985? :msp_confused:

If the 268xp still is in good shape, it generally makes more sense to go with the 390xp as your second saw. If not, the lighter 372xp may be a better choise.

Get both if ya can. If I could choose only 1 it would be the 372 xpw.
Both are fantastic! Good luck with that..........

I have so,so regretted selling my 2188 (same as a 390) I had the big idea I needed a Silvey grinder. Now, I cant make up my mind whether to get another 2188,390 or a Dolmar 7900. Right now, the 7900 is #1. I know what your talkin about its a brutal decision....................

Depends on what kind of wood and what size of wood you're cutting, among other things. If you oftentimes feel you need a lot more power than your current saw provides, going up a size to the 390 might be the best way to go.

+1

Im in the midst of breaking in my 390xp right now, and I was worried that it would have been a little close to the performance of my 372xpw with the 390xp, not true. Good gap there. 390 is an animal. 372 is ported and mm. 390 just a mm.

Rick

I have so,so regretted selling my 2188 (same as a 390) I had the big idea I needed a Silvey grinder. Now, I cant make up my mind whether to get another 2188,390 or a Dolmar 7900. Right now, the 7900 is #1. I know what your talkin about its a brutal decision....................

Billy,
Best as I can tell the three saws you indicate are different colors...therefor you should buy all three. It's really that simple. NO reason to muddy up the decision making process...You wouldn't get caught going into the woods with non-color matching outfits would you?? :hmm3grin2orange:

Ran a 268XP for almost 20 years

Great saw.

Another option worth a look might be the 576XP unless you have a thing against the Strato saws. The 576XP is the reincarnation of the 281XP. For years that was my 2 saw plan, the 281XP and the 268XP. Covered firewood, logging, limbing, landing bucking, pulp etc.

If you really want to get up into that 6.5 HP range, the Dolmar 7900 is a good option. Weight of a 372XP with the power of a 385XP. Depends a lot on brand loyalties and dealer availability.

Take Care

Last edited:
Billy,
Best as I can tell the three saws you indicate are different colors...therefor you should buy all three. It's really that simple. NO reason to muddy up the decision making process...You wouldn't get caught going into the woods with non-color matching outfits would you?? :hmm3grin2orange:

Now, you I can see are a man with taste. A man with gusto! My kinda man! Thats the best rootin tootin answer Ive heard yet! I will get all three! Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't need em for work, get a 372xpw now and MM it and be happy. Then get a 390 used later for a good price and be happy. I would imagine 372XPW's won't be under ever rock and bush out in your part of the country in the future. But 390's used will be like 385's today(maybe), and on craigs list every other week.

If you use it for work, and are often cutting 3-4' pines, a 390xp with a 36" bar and full skip will put a smile on your face.

You can't really go wrong with either one. The 372 won't be available new for much longer. The 390 will probably be around for a couple more years new.

mdavlee is right. I also got run his ported 390. There was nothin to dislike about that saw! It was a real runner:msp_wink:

Lol. These are great answers, all of which I appreciate. Seems to be divided still, some say 372 some say 390. I thought I heard some one mention a dolmar? :popcorn: I haven't had the pleasure to run one yet though I have heard of a lot of guys going to that mfg. I primarily cut your standard eastern hardwoods, and a lot of cherry. Big cherry. Sounds like I should pick up a new 372xp w while they are available and then find a used 390xp.... I like the sound of that...:hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like I should pick up a new 372xp w while they are available and then find a used 390xp.... I like the sound of that...:hmm3grin2orange:

Thats what worked out best for me. I knew I would be reaching for the 372 85% of the time. Couldn't really justify spending a grand+ on a new 90cc saw to use a few times out of the year.

Latest posts

Back