372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
I dont quite understand the xpw thing, why the differant displacement than the 372 xp. can you get the saw in a half wrap handle with the 74cc displacement? Does the 5 ccs make that much difference?

Just my opinion ok, but i think it was huskys way of getting the saw under the epa radars. they used the 375 cylinder on the 372's and therefore it was a different saw. 375 cylinder had the porting and transfers reworked to match chainsaw usage for the xpw saws. This is just stuff i have read of others postings on other sites.
Modders have been using the 375 cylinders for awhile and making their own versions, no replacement for displacement.
xpw West coast saw, never seen half wrap for xpw, but half wraps are sold at baileys.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
But the possibility for even more power is there after a modding someday if they decide to in the future and that dont have nothing to do with weight, its the cylinder and piston of 74.66cc's.
Throw the book crap specs in for heat Troll. :laugh:

I guess you are right on that one.......:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Deerskin

Deerskin

ArboristSite Lurker
71cc vs. 75cc

I finally got to run my 372XPW (75cc version) the other day, had to wait for the snow to melt some! I LOVE it!, good power, acceptable weight. Only got to run about 1/2 tank thru it, cut the frozen Ponderosa pine like butter. Also running the new LGX Oregon chain. I had to concentrate on keeping my lips tight or wound up with a mouth full of chips.

I put a half-wrap handle and small bucking dogs on my saw, dry weight is 14 lbs. 10 ozs. powerhead only. I also weighed it with the full wrap handle and large dogs, weighed in at 15 lbs. 4 ozs.

My brother-in law weighed his 71cc 372 full wrap on the same scale, weighs in at 15 lbs. 6 ozs. dry.

If you look at the IPLs for each saw you will see that they are, for weight purposes, IDENTICAL with the exception of the cylinder and piston. Mine does have a rev. limiting ignition, set for 13,600.

I think for all intents and purposes these saws are the same in stock form.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
I like mine three years runs like new. I was wondering If 385 jug and
piston would work on the saw when it needs rebuilt and would it beef it much?

It is not a direct bolt on....The piston uses a larger pin, and the bolt pattern is totally differant. I have heard stories of 372's bored out and using a 385 piston, but don't know all the details.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I finally got to run my 372XPW (75cc version) .....
I put a half-wrap handle and small bucking dogs on my saw, dry weight is 14 lbs. 10 ozs. powerhead only. I also weighed it with the full wrap handle and large dogs, weighed in at 15 lbs. 4 ozs. .....

My brother-in law weighed his 71cc 372 full wrap on the same scale, weighs in at 15 lbs. 6 ozs. dry.

Do those saws have the high air filter/filter cover????

kallaste

kallaste

ArboristSite Operative
372xp/372xpw

Just my opinion ok, but i think it was huskys way of getting the saw under the epa radars. they used the 375 cylinder on the 372's and therefore it was a different saw. 375 cylinder had the porting and transfers reworked to match chainsaw usage for the xpw saws. This is just stuff i have read of others postings on other sites.
Modders have been using the 375 cylinders for awhile and making their own versions, no replacement for displacement.
xpw West coast saw, never seen half wrap for xpw, but half wraps are sold at baileys.

I spoke w/ husky USA this AM. I was told the XPW saw is a California version that has the E-tech features and a catalist muffler. They increased the displacement in order to keep the hp in line w/ the standard 372xp which doesnt have all the epa stuff on it. Therefore they have the same hp.
Do you guys buy this?

SWE#Kipp

SWE#Kipp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe ,,, they did a Cali version of the 335xp (top handle) if got it right it had bigger displacement ,,,,
something I have read here at the forum ,,,

AZLOGGER

AZLOGGER

ArboristSite Guru
Some where between the desert & the trees! AZ
I spoke w/ husky USA this AM. I was told the XPW saw is a California version that has the E-tech features and a catalist muffler. They increased the displacement in order to keep the hp in line w/ the standard 372xp which doesnt have all the epa stuff on it. Therefore they have the same hp.
Do you guys buy this?

kallaste:
I have no idea whom you spoke to at husky USA, but they evidently are giving you some wrong information. The 372XPW (aka 375 XP or XPW) is the same saw as a 372XP except for piston & cylinder, same muffler, crankshaft, carburetor, & so on. It shares the same piston & rings as the 375 Cut Off Saw but not the same cylinder. It may be a California thing because I cannot find it available to us other dealers! FYI :sword:

Deerskin

Deerskin

ArboristSite Lurker
High filter/cover

SawTroll,
Yes, both saws have the high filter and cover. Based on my Husky catalogues dating from 1997 until 2006, all 371xp/372xp USA models had the high filter/cover setup.