372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like two foot bars. goes unused sometimes, but its nice to have that extra reach. plus 18 and 20 inchers make me feel like a sissy. I rather like coming home feeling like superman everday thank you very much!

i like two foot bars. goes unused sometimes, but its nice to have that extra reach. plus 18 and 20 inchers make me feel like a sissy. I rather like coming home feeling like superman everday thank you very much!

The saw handle and balance better with a 20", so I use the 24" only when needed......:)

i forgot to mention i got 2 free chains and a bar and a bar cover also free. my saw came with a 20" bar. I am so excited. my dad is even jealous once i let him run it. He usually uses a 55 rancher. There is a huge white pine in my yard and if it is not raining tomorrow afternoon i am going to take it down. This pine should help break in my saw.

Glad you like your new saw Kid! This whole 20" versus 24" deal is a little silly. It really depends on where or rather what you are cutting. On the east coast, I've got to agree with 440 that a 20" is about perfect on a stock 70cc saw. When you're cutting rock maple and other hardwoods, you'll be happy you have the 20" on. If your cutting cedar, pine, fir, spruce etc.. then a 24" is great and not a problem. I don't understand the balance issure though? They feel noseheavy to me with longer bars.
This is just MO but I go by the adage that you should use the shortest bar you can get away with too get the job done the fastest and most efficiently. It just stands to reason that the saw will cut faster, you'll use less of everything.:cheers:

Ahhhhhhh but we were not speaking of the weak 440 we were speaking
of a compatible powerhead for the 24! Using the shortest bar will lead
to problems with directional felling in tight quarters. Bucking yeah, I would
agree a short bar is easier to get in and out while bucking tops.

Truthfully I can not tell the differance in 20 to 24. Anything larger yes,
they would have to make a dyno test to tell the differance in 20 to 24
and I am fairly certain it would be close!

I have one saw stock,I am referring to.
My modded 372 will pull it like no tomorrow and pull the 28 at a fair clip!

Yes....modded they are animals!LOL:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Glad you like your new saw Kid! This whole 20" versus 24" deal is a little silly. It really depends on where or rather what you are cutting. On the east coast, I've got to agree with 440 that a 20" is about perfect on a stock 70cc saw. When you're cutting rock maple and other hardwoods, you'll be happy you have the 20" on. If your cutting cedar, pine, fir, spruce etc.. then a 24" is great and not a problem. I don't understand the balance issure though? They feel noseheavy to me with longer bars.
This is just MO but I go by the adage that you should use the shortest bar you can get away with too get the job done the fastest and most efficiently. It just stands to reason that the saw will cut faster, you'll use less of everything.:cheers:

best post so far!

Cutting hardwoods or all around use-I would prefer 20"

Softwoods-run a long one if you want

I don't get guys who have to cut from both sides a few times a day "I better get a longer bar". Why not just use the lighter, faster, easier to sharpen, shorter bar and cut from both sides a few times a day?

best post so far!

Cutting hardwoods or all around use-I would prefer 20"

Softwoods-run a long one if you want

I don't get guys who have to cut from both sides a few times a day "I better get a longer bar". Why not just use the lighter, faster, easier to sharpen, shorter bar and cut from both sides a few times a day?

Yes, good posts by both Zodiac and you!

:cheers:

Last edited:
... but not too nice for carrying trough the underbrush and high grass, and lining up for felling......

I just use the 395 with its 36" chain a day or two and the 372 with a 24"
seems like a trim saw. It is the felling in tight quarters that makes me want
a longer bar the majority of the trees I get stuck removing are dead and 30
to 36" dbh! I want my bar to make a clean pass so I can be sure the tree
follows the hinge to the T as sometimes we lay down spars with just a little room and can't afford pealing to one side or the other. On my 40 nah just
get the stocker out 20" bar junkola an let her rip :laugh:

70cc comment 24 too big 32 in softwood ok???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihl here
Tell me why? A 372xp can bog in anything over 20'' hardwood pretty easy. I am saying this from experience!!! 20'' is a good setup for certain tasks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stihl 440
LOL...he doesn't know what he is talking about anyway........a 20" is by far the BEST combo for that saw......24" is too much.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66785&page=3&highlight=372+bar+chain

notice stihl 440 comment that 70cc saws pull 32" in softwood "without a problem"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back