372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
385xp

Man that is a double-barrel shotgun saw now! Big diff on performance and did you set the H jet with a tach or by ear?

Thanks for the pic. Search function is OK but returns too many results sometimes.

That is my walker style muffler.....I love it...it was a huge difference in performance. My 385 was a performer stock...but modded it is unbielevable... I tuned it with my tach and listened by ear, and it is at 12,800rpm...nowhere near the limiter that's at 13,000.... Thanks for the comment BTW....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

thanks for the info everyone. Does the 372XP come stock with a 20" bar?
does the 372Xp come stock with a full chisel chain on it?

It usually comes "stock" as powerhead only - you can select any bar lenght and chain style you desire (within reason).

The saw handles the best with a 20", but cuts about as well with a 24".

Last edited:
I will respectively disagree with the above comment!! In your opinion OK, but in reality a 24" bar on a 372xp is barely making it work hard. I have 2 that Bolth have 24" bars on them and get used almost daily also I run a 32" on the older 372xp on occasion and it still cuts well although its a bit underpowered its still rips. I guess its personal preference but to say a 24" is to much for a 372XP is completly false. IMHO...

I totally agree!

Tell me why? A 372xp can bog in anything over 20'' hardwood pretty easy. I am saying this from experience!!! 20'' is a good setup for certain tasks!!

Dude (no disrespect intended) but I can't believe that quite yet. I just got a new 372 24" bar yesterday and can't wait.

My current 353 has cut 30" plus Maple/Ash/Beech and doesn't bog if you use it right.

Husky Rocks!

(ok so the 353 is marginal with this big a wood....GRIN)

PS == also got a 20" bar and some loops for backup in case I'm wrong.....

LOLOLOLOL, WTF are you talking about.......I'm a professional timber cutter/logger and your gonna sit there and call me a newbie.......lolololololol...that's just halarious.....ROFLMFAO!!!!!:censored: :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :buttkick: :givebeer:

I ain't much for Stihl (dealer.............) dude but I've read your posts and I do respect them.

Emmet County Woodbutchers (laughable...........)

LOL...he doesn't know what he is talking about anyway........a 20" is by far the BEST combo for that saw......24" is too much.....:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :givebeer: :clap: :)

I disagree totally a 24 is perfect for the 372xp, it balance just right
and pulls just fine. I ran a 28 and it did fine but would agree it was a
little much for it stock. If you take too much off the drags any saw
will bog!

I disagree totally a 24 is perfect for the 372xp, it balance just right
and pulls just fine. I ran a 28 and it did fine but would agree it was a
little much for it stock. If you take too much off the drags any saw
will bog!

I'm sorry.....But I WOULD NOT run a 24" on a 372. When I get mine it will wear a 20" all of it's life...... When you're cutting timber you want a bar that's long enough to cut the trees and short enough that you can fly around the base of the tree. The faster and easier you get them on the ground= more money. And why would I run a 24" on my 440/460 when I have the 385xp,066,660? That is why my 440/460 wear 20" stihl ES bars, and have, all their life. Now if I hadn't put a 8 pin sproket on the 460 I was gonna buy a 24" for it just to keep it under a load. That saw is a monster with the 20" and 8 pin sproket and muffler mod.....lolol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
I ain't much for Stihl (dealer.............) dude but I've read your posts and I do respect them.

Emmet County Woodbutchers (laughable...........)

Did you try the 24" bar and 20" bar with your 372 yet? I'm sorry, but I like my saws to thunder though the wood and not have to struggle through it. I do like power as well....so maybe that's my problem...but I WILL NOT run a 24" on my 372 when I get one. It will be happy and monsterous with it's 20" bar and muffler mod...lol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I'm sorry.....But I WOULD NOT run a 24" on a 372. When I get mine it will wear a 20" all of it's life...... When you're cutting timber you want a bar that's long enough to cut the trees and short enough that you can fly around the base of the tree. The faster and easier you get them on the ground= more money. And why would I run a 24" on my 440/460 when I have the 385xp,066,660? That is why my 440/460 wear 20" stihl ES bars, and have, all their life. Now if I hadn't put a 8 pin sproket on the 460 I was gonna buy a 24" for it just to keep it under a load. That saw is a monster with the 20" and 8 pin sproket and muffler mod.....lolol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

May be in timber but when cutting as an arborist in close proximity to homes,powerlines etc.you want a bar that makes the notch and back cut without going on both sides. Directional notching in tight quarters I want the bar to go all the way through! Really the point is it pulls a 24 just fine and I have a twenty and a 24 can't tell the power apart! If you want to believe it wont pull it, fine; but a lot of us know different:monkey:

May be in timber but when cutting as an arborist in close proximity to homes,powerlines etc.you want a bar that makes the notch and back cut without going on both sides. Directional notching in tight quarters I want the bar to go all the way through! Really the point is it pulls a 24 just fine and I have a twenty and a 24 can't tell the power apart! If you want to believe it wont pull it, fine; but a lot of us know different:monkey:
+1 rope

I didn't say it wouldn't pull it. It will, but not as good as the 20". I understand the arborist thing....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I didn't say it wouldn't pull it. It will, but not as good as the 20". I understand the arborist thing....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Stihl I got nothing to base this on except my 372xp. It pulls the 24" chain with just as much torque as the 20" bar. I can stall it in wood with either bar if I try. It's still a great saw, handles well and cuts like crazy.

Now that being said, I'm not a professional "arborist, timbercutter, axman", etc. I'm just an old woodbutcher from Northern Michigan.

I would LOVE to try a Stihl 440 or MS460, my dealer is a real, well, he's not a nice person. Let's leave it at that.

My Husky dealer is a pretty good guy. Maybe some day he'll get the Stihl dealership.

JMHO

Truthfully I can not tell the differance in 20 to 24. Anything larger yes,
they would have to make a dyno test to tell the differance in 20 to 24
and I am fairly certain it would be close!

I have one saw stock,I am referring to.
My modded 372 will pull it like no tomorrow and pull the 28 at a fair clip!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back