372xpw chain width, .050 or .058?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks like the idea of having one "fits all chain"

I used to be of that thinking and wanted to keep everything .375/.050.

I found some screaming deals on Tsumuras in .058, then some cheap Carltons in .058.

Now it seems the .058 is way more common around the shop.

Like has been said it seems to be a regional thing.

You'll find the wider guages are better at dragging oil around the bar.

On another note after hard use which guage do you think is most likely to break through the drivelink rivet holes? That's right, .050" :)

I've used the same amount of .050" and .063" with the cutting I've done and never busted an .063" but have had a number of .050" chains break. Same brand and model of chain too.

That's interesting. I guess I don't cut enough wood because I've never had to worry about breaking one. I never would have thought the wider gauge would make a difference dragging oil either.

Wisdom from Oz. :)

I have never noticed a difference in the three gauges. I'm a bargain hunter, so I have bars with 50, 58 and 63 in my garage. The only difference in the chains appears to be in the drive links. My chains fail by cutter wear, and I am embarassed to say I have only broken a chain once (can't remember the gauge). I would agree in theory that with the wider groove, more oil could be pulled around in a 63. My 385 oils like a mofo, so I can't really see a difference. A non R still 660 with a 42 might be a different story. I find new 50 chain in a new 50 bar feels less wobbly than the others, but this is purely subjective:arg:

if it is the original b/c it will be .058. if somebody swapped it out it could be anything.

How so? The powerhead is packaged separately. It comes in its own box.
The bar and chain are selected and they come in two more boxes.
So...nothing was swapped out IMO.
The dealer sent two boxes via UPS, one with the saw and chain and one was just the bar. Makes sense since a 28" bar won't quite go in a 20" box:jester:

For those itching to know the dealer was SLE Equipment in Antioch TN. Good price, best I found online and certainly better than locally and then I didn't have to pay $50-60 sales tax either. Another plus is they are only 2 days regular ground UPS from me, certainly beats 5+ days from west coast dealers.
Just be aware, they don't necessarily have in stock what they say and will promise several dates they will ship, the first 3 times they are lying:msp_sneaky:
UPS hopefully weighs shipped items, otherwise they get screwed as SLE sent a 15lb box marked as 7 lbs on the label:laugh:

How so? The powerhead is packaged separately. It comes in its own box.
The bar and chain are selected and they come in two more boxes.
So...nothing was swapped out IMO.
The dealer sent two boxes via UPS, one with the saw and chain and one was just the bar. Makes sense since a 28" bar won't quite go in a 20" box:jester:

For those itching to know the dealer was SLE Equipment in Antioch TN. Good price, best I found online and certainly better than locally and then I didn't have to pay $50-60 sales tax either. Another plus is they are only 2 days regular ground UPS from me, certainly beats 5+ days from west coast dealers.
Just be aware, they don't necessarily have in stock what they say and will promise several dates they will ship, the first 3 times they are lying:msp_sneaky:
UPS hopefully weighs shipped items, otherwise they get screwed as SLE sent a 15lb box marked as 7 lbs on the label:laugh:

Oh were talking a new saw here. Cool. Yer gonna love that saw. I didn't catch that last night. The jagermeister had my head on backwards. If you didn't request anything different it will have .058 :)

That's interesting. I guess I don't cut enough wood because I've never had to worry about breaking one. I never would have thought the wider gauge would make a difference dragging oil either.

Pretty common knowledge with hardwood fallers in Australia and firewood cutters. I mean .050" has never been common here on standard 3/8" chain anyway but .063" will cop a lot more punishment than .050"
Anyway I just made that up...

Pretty common knowledge with hardwood fallers in Australia and firewood cutters. I mean .050" has never been common here on standard 3/8" chain anyway but .063" will cop a lot more punishment than .050"
Anyway I just made that up...

Bastard. I suppose that story about the neighbor dogs nuts wasn't true either. :(

You are not cutting wood as hard as concrete with dust about the same as comes from sawing concrete.

You are not cutting wood as hard as concrete with dust about the same as comes from sawing concrete.

No, that black spruce isn't usually that nasty. I did have a 40" elm here I thought was pretty solid at -20 C. :)

I have never really tried .050 on stronger saws, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me - I suspect it clogs up easier? I am no expert on this though! :confused:

It is completely logical that .058 should drag oil better, as the path is over 10% wider. It should wear slower, as the metal is over 10% thicker, and per the first point, it gets more oil. The chain will be slightly heavier, so acceleration might be a tiny bit less. All in all it is logical that .058 is an all around better chain when really put to the test.

The last Husky I bought new was a 455, and it came with 050 chain. (yes it was purchased from a local dealer) In this "region" it seems that .050 is more popular, but I know that if I go west, the .058 is more popular.

Some crazy posts in this thread, lol.

I have never really tried .050 on stronger saws, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me - I suspect it clogs up easier? I am no expert on this though! :confused:

I have .050 on 80 to 100 cc saws and have no problem. But like Jerry said, I'm not cutting aussie hardwood.

You use .058?

If you are putting .050 chain on an .058 rail, won't the chain to run sloppy in the wider groove, and cause excessive wear on the bar?

Yes, and .063 on the MS361. .058 is what Husky like to sell here, and I see nothing wrong with that!

I don't see anything wrong with any of it, I just wish they would standardize it. If I only had one gauge I could buy a reel of chain and make my own, but I can't buy three. :)

Latest posts

Back