372xpw chain width, .050 or .058?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But like Jerry said, I'm not cutting aussie hardwood.

I use a lot of .050" despite being basically unheard of in Australia as I got some really good deals on NOS GB's in .050" a few years back.
Sadly though with the odd dry, old hardwood we get here there are major issues with chain and bar heat. I've had smoke literally pouring off the tip of a 24" Tsumura on the 390XP with the oiler wound up due to the heat buildup. They can get that hot that I've had oil boiling out of the bar groove. Chains don't last long under these conditions and it's not uncommon after one of these sessions that you'll have to knock an extra DL out due to chain stretch. The .063" chains handle this abuse a LOT better.

I use a lot of .050" despite being basically unheard of in Australia as I got some really good deals on NOS GB's in .050" a few years back.

Sadly though with the odd dry, old hardwood we get here there are major issues with chain and bar heat. I've had smoke literally pouring off the tip of a 24" Tsumura on the 390XP with the oiler wound up due to the heat buildup. They can get that hot that I've had oil boiling out of the bar groove. Chains don't last long under these conditions and it's not uncommon after one of these sessions that you'll have to knock an extra DL out due to chain stretch. The .063" chains handle this abuse a LOT better.

That's crazy.

No such thing as .063 here worth mentioning. Every new Stihl I've ever seen comes with .050.

For those itching to know the dealer was SLE Equipment in Antioch TN. Good price, best I found online and certainly better than locally and then I didn't have to pay $50-60 sales tax either. Another plus is they are only 2 days regular ground UPS from me, certainly beats 5+ days from west coast dealers.
Just be aware, they don't necessarily have in stock what they say and will promise several dates they will ship, the first 3 times they are lying:msp_sneaky:
UPS hopefully weighs shipped items, otherwise they get screwed as SLE sent a 15lb box marked as 7 lbs on the label:laugh:

Another comment on the dealer- as mentioned elsewhere in this thread a piece was missing from the bag o' parts - the "sleeve" that goes in the chain catcher.
I emailed the dealer and I got a read receipt, 10 days ago, about the missing part and asked for one.
No reply and no part.
I'd advise against using these guys:msp_thumbdn:

Latest posts

Back