372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
372xpw on the way

I thank you all for input and sharing your experiences.
I got to run my brothers 7900 for a while today and that finalized my decision. The 7900 is a real nice saw with great power, but just didn't feel as nice to run as the 372. Thats just my opinion. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll have to own a 7900 as well. For now I snagged up an xpw while I could. I think I'll let the xtorq's develop a bit more before I own one.
Thanks again.

I got to run my brothers 7900 for a while today and that finalized my decision. The 7900 is a real nice saw with great power, but just didn't feel as nice to run as the 372. Thats just my opinion. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll have to own a 7900 as well. For now I snagged up an xpw while I could. I think I'll let the xtorq's develop a bit more before I own one.
Thanks again.
You chose.................wisely............

250px-Knight.jpg

Ok fine and in your opinion which one holds up the best and is the most trouble free of that group?

Well, like I say, I can't testify to the durability of the 7900 because I've never ran one in a working situation. All of the Stihls I've worked with have held up great. The 372xpw is the first Husqvarna I've ever used cutting timber and it's been flawless for 6 months now. I do try my best to be gentle with my saws though and always keep them maintained.

I have worked with other guys that fall timber with Husqvarnas and they had never had much trouble if any out of them.

I want to try a 7900 sometime in the future and if I do get one, it will be put to work. Until then, my opinion on it is it seems like a well built saw, has tons of power but doesnt feel good in my hands. I'm sure anyone could get used to asny saw if they ran it enough. The xpw just feels so light and nimble and has plenty of power to boot.

Anyone who runs a saw all day will appreciate light weight and manuveurability over a second or two in a cookie contest. So my opinion is, buy the one that feels right in your hands.

Like many have said if your felling with a 5ci saw and like stump power 7900 all the way stock or not. a modded 372 may nip the heals of a 7900 in a race. 7900 seem to have a bit more when the tourque counts... as the general conscience says run what fits ya:wink2:

I have a friend who has a land clearing business that has 2 372xpw's. I have used them on occasion and must say they feel really good. Great balance. One of the best saws ever made in my opinion. But I got my Makita at HD rental brand new for $150. Had the Mahle 79cc kit put on by nmurph. One terrific deal!!! The power is awesome! And with my back is trully great because it is the second ranked power to weight saw ever made! Quite a package and as has been stated" best bang for the buck!"

Last edited:
A man gets the right tooth ache and theres not a pain med made that will even touch it. Its a heckuva lot better to go to the dentist IMHO.

I had a tooth ache so bad I removed the tooth myself with needle pliers, some wax paper to get a grip on it, and about half a bottle of Jim Beam. I gotta say, I am not so sure the bourbon helped during the process, but it sure did help dealing with the aftermath. You'd be amazed how easy a tooth comes out when ya wiggle on it after a fashion. The blood is amazing, too.

Thanks again.

That's one of the reasons I like the 372 series - it just feels right. I would like the 7900's more if they didn't feel like complete hell when running them. It's something hard to pin down, really. Sloppy is a word that comes to mind.

That's one of the reasons I like the 372 series - it just feels right. I would like the 7900's more if they didn't feel like complete hell when running them. It's something hard to pin down, really. Sloppy is a word that comes to mind.

The 7900 does have a different feel no doubt about it. I actually prefer it over the 372, it just feels right to me.

Did anyone catch this Dodge commercial? lol Great Dodge and Dolmar, that's it I'm selling my Dolmar's lol.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IeVqm9U7I2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's up fella's, lets see how long the site lasts tonight. Been real hit and miss for me. As for the 7900, or any dolmar never ran one. Someday wanna give em a try.

What's up fella's, lets see how long the site lasts tonight. Been real hit and miss for me. As for the 7900, or any dolmar never ran one. Someday wanna give em a try.

That's generally the problem - and why they never had a chance to really prove themselves in pro use......

Well then, swing over to Aaron's place, jump in his turbo diesel prius and head out to I O W A. We'll introduce you to a couple off brand saws. May even send ya back with a Pulon a Homie slug and what ever else is on special for the day.:cheers:

Well then, swing over to Aaron's place, jump in his turbo diesel prius and head out to I O W A. We'll introduce you to a couple off brand saws. May even send ya back with a Pulon a Homie slug and what ever else is on special for the day.:cheers:

I never could understand why anyone buy that totally anemic and impractical car - but I don't "know it all".........:laugh: :laugh:

LoL! I settle for that 394 mitch LOL! Yeah Nikko they never brought them this way, why I dont know. There is a dealer selling Dolmar in redding, a ways from me but in California. Back in some big timber day's I did hear of some running the 166's. My shop said they were a runnig son of a biatch, but parts availibility, etc. The usual. I wonder why they dont establish themselves better. German made, so how popular are they in Europe? And how big? I am wondering on a world map where they are established well.

LoL! I settle for that 394 mitch LOL! Yeah Nikko they never brought them this way, why I dont know. There is a dealer selling Dolmar in redding, a ways from me but in California. Back in some big timber day's I did hear of some running the 166's. My shop said they were a runnig son of a biatch, but parts availibility, etc. The usual. I wonder why they dont establish themselves better. German made, so how popular are they in Europe? And how big? I am wondering on a world map where they are established well.

Makita represents Dolmar here, and they basically have no dealers, as far as I know. I guess it is a little different in Germany. The 7900 was banned from pro use in Germany in 2005 or so, because of "excessive vibes" that was supposed to harm a full time operator btw, but I never really cought how they arrived at that conclution - most likely some theoretically based number.......

Hmm, always been curious, good info. I lawyas eyeballed the 166, and 9010. They looked pretty formedable. The chainsaw anti vibe's, a boss at work after we went through all our saw's, old and new. Said as long as they had av we could keep em, funny I used to work for that boss, and he didnt mind me running the jackhammer all day. Your hands will vibrate for a week. I do agree a smooth saw is nice.

Back