372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita represents Dolmar here, and they basically have no dealers, as far as I know. I guess it is a little different in Germany. The 7900 was banned from pro use in Germany in 2005 or so, because of "excessive vibes" that was supposed to harm a full time operator btw, but I never really cought how they arrived at that conclution - most likely some theoretically based number.......

Or more likely someone got a little extra money in their pocket. The 7900 isn't the smoothest saw out there, but it's up there, much smoother than the 460, 660. I'd say it's on par with a 372. The newest saws like the 441 and 576 are super smooth. I still say the smoothest saw made is the 5100, even though I don't care for that model overall.

NORM The 9010 is a robust saw with great low end grunt. A bit of an old school saw in many ways, but it's built like a tank and will likely last a long time. They lack chain speed stock, but they take well to porting and will cut with a 660, if not better and with more torque. IMHO Only thing I don't care for is the air filter.:cheers:

I would have to agree with Andy that the AV system onthe 7900 is as smooth as the 372, and I had no problem with mounts breaking. The oiler on the 7900 was weak always had a 1/4 tank of oil left with the ajustment wide open.

I would have to agree with Andy that the AV system onthe 7900 is as smooth as the 372, and I had no problem with mounts breaking. The oiler on the 7900 was weak always had a 1/4 tank of oil left with the ajustment wide open.

1/4 of a tank is actually better than most saws especially new Stihl's IMHO. My 362 has 1/2 a tank left when it's out of fuel, and stock the 660 had a hard time oiling a 28" B&C, I had to upgrade the pump to run a 32"B&C. However when it comes down to it, what's left in the tank really doesn't matter if the chain is properly oiled. My 362 does fine with a 20" bar.

The 7900 has had it's fair share of issues during it's life span, as most saws do. The early 7900's had oil hose, recoil starter, chain tensioner, tank vent and AV spring issues. All of these issues have been taken care of, and luckily they were small issues that were easily fixed. The 7900 has never had any major engine issues to speak of, I've seen maybe one bad top end in the last 8 years. I actually had an early red top 7900 and it was a great saw, but I did replace the oil feed line and tank vent. The old thinner top spring without the limit stop, were too weak and would stretch too much, they now use a thicker gauge spring with a limit stop.

I know some say the 7900 hasn't proven it's self, but lets look at what's known. The 7900 has been on the market since about 2002, the 6401 has and is used at rental shops across the U.S. There has been quite a few full time cutter that have used the 7900 for many years and still use them.

Last edited:
Replaced my 394 with a 7900 heated a week ago. This afternoon it was "broke in" on its first three stumps and I have to say, I'm very impressed. My hands were warm and it didn't break a sweet with the 32 on it.

Mitch you dindn't need a 394 over a 7900? Just curious 394 one of the all time best, be hard for me to part with one. You must not have a use for one that big?

Mitch you dindn't need a 394 over a 7900? Just curious 394 one of the all time best, be hard for me to part with one. You must not have a use for one that big?

It wanted to move north to a quaint drinking town with a fishing problem.:D

I really want to big bore my 6400 after reading everything on the 7900.....

Last edited:
It wanted to move north to a quaint drinking town with a fishing problem.:D

I really want to big bore my 6400 after reading everything on the 7900.....

Don't get me wrong the 6400 is great for what it is, but nothing like the 7900. If you do decide to upgrade your saw, go with the OEM top end, unless you plan on porting it. The BB kits are pretty low in quality, and normally run slower than the OEM saws.

Don't get me wrong the 6400 is great for what it is, but nothing like the 7900. If you do decide to upgrade your saw, go with the OEM top end, unless you plan on porting it. The BB kits are pretty low in quality, and normally run slower than the OEM saws.

That's what I meant. I planned on sticking with the oem Dolmar 7900 P/C.

Upgrade with the bigger OEM cc's, and add some bigger saw's to. Why not nothing wrong with collecting:biggrin::hmm3grin2orange:

It IS one of the all time greats but I DO have bigger lol. That saw was the strongest 394/95 I've ever run and only one 066 ever pulled a chain faster next to it. Is the 7900 enough for a daily driver....yes and then some.

I will build another 394 just not for a while.

I have and had several 371/372's and a 575 with heated handles, and the 7900 did not get any were near as hot as those. That has nothing to do with brand loyalty that just a fact with the 7900 I owned. And with the oiler I was used to the husky I know on my 576a/t I had to turn the oiler down because it running out of oil before gas. Still haven't seen many loggers that use the saw everyday chime in. There is one other logger in the county that I know of that is using the 7900, he is a GOL instructor which is sponsered by Dolmar, so he gets his saws free has had bearing problems too.

in all honesty,i still like the feel of the 460 better than my xpw. but when it comes to power and weight i went xpw. i joined em cause i couldnt beat em either.

in all honesty,i still like the feel of the 460 better than my xpw. but when it comes to power and weight i went xpw. i joined em cause i couldnt beat em either.

Yeah it is funny how once you start trying other saws it becomes apparent Stihl isn't the only manufacturer or the best.

I dont think any one manufacturer is necessarily the best. They each have there special models, and all have some that are one of the best you can buy. MOst brands have had at least a few saw's in the hall of fame, best of the best class. For me having my experience mostly with Stihl, and husky, but Homelite, and Mac's too earlier on. I have seen Stihl, and husky neck and neck for years. I actually think some of the earlier Husky's were ahed of Stihl in technology desing, and weight. The 2100 was the 066 before the o66. 1977 2100 came out I believe, and when you consider the year, and compare it to a saw today, pretty awesome design, and they had alot of top runners. So did Stihl, but the 044, 046, 066 I think really put Stihl on the map I think anyway. The 090-076-56mag were real famous to, but I think then husky had a design edge. Now I think they are still so close maybe closer together in technology, but each brand having certain models that really shine.:clap:

Latest posts

Back