390 or 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
385/390 is a big healthy saw capable of handling most any job you can think of unless you are planning to be cutting huge wood with bars longer then 36 it will get it done for year after year. I would even say my 385 will pull more then 36" but I've never had a bar longer then that. You will find that's a lot of saw I only use mine when I have enough of something big enough to justify getting it out. I find a 60cc or even a 372 much more pleasant to run simply because of the weight difference.

Having had both (still have the 395)..... The 395 is a lot more saw. A LOT!! Mine pulls a 36 full comp in hardwood like nothing. But the 390 is no slouch either. I say go 395. They are scary with a short bar. Lol

Having had both (still have the 395)..... The 395 is a lot more saw. A LOT!! Mine pulls a 36 full comp in hardwood like nothing. But the 390 is no slouch either. I say go 395. They are scary with a short bar. Lol

I guess if that's what you're going for. I've never ran a 395 but imo I like a good handling light saw so like I said unless you're needing a saw to run a reeeealy long bar with then 372.dolmar 7900 or 390.

Definitely go with a 390XP.
Brad could you comment on the stock porting with the 385 and 390? Did the 385 have the better porting in stock form?
I have a muffler modded and base gasket deleted 385 I that I was going to upgrade with a 390 cylinder but it would stay stock except for same mods. Now I'm wondering if it is worth the effort.

Brad could you comment on the stock porting with the 385 and 390? Did the 385 have the better porting in stock form?
I have a muffler modded and base gasket deleted 385 I that I was going to upgrade with a 390 cylinder but it would stay stock except for same mods. Now I'm wondering if it is worth the effort.
If you really want to upgrade the saw, mail the cylinder and a meteor piston to Terry Landrum (before he quits porting for the summer). Shave u'r flywheel key, advance the flywheel 6-7mm CCW, reassemble and hold on. I thought my gasketless, muffler-modded 385 was strong before..........

Back