390xp a worthy step up from 576xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much and the funds must be cleared before this is done since your a cull and all. run away after a loss is your thing. i've ran some strong 372's and my confidence in this race is 100%. you will lose lol

I didn't know you where such a 372XT fan. I worked on my 365xt and in 28 inch oak it cut the same time as my stock,except muffler, 2188. Now my Eric C. 390 was faster as I would expect. I did a thread with video on it.
Link= http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-365vs2188vs390.295966/

I had a ported 576AT and it was a very nice saw but I prefer the 372 platform.

24" is the longest I plan on running on it. If I need more I'll just buy a 390. I wanted yours but no funds at the moment :(

A 24" bar is perfect on a 372...good balance and plenty enough power to bury it. Any longer and a stock OE will struggle in hardwood and not balance as well. The OE likes to rev high, the X Torq has better low end grunt.

For me it was the weight difference. If you are just bucking the 395 is perfect. Dropping, limbing and bucking I was shot at about 4 tanks of fuel. The 390 gets me to the end of the day. CJ

try it on a slope. see how long you last lol you'll be at the dealer buying a 372 before you know it.

Spent last Saturday running the 372 and 390. Felled, bucked and broke down the tops of 4 dead hardwood trees which had trunks of about 3' diameter at waist height.
Being a medium sized bloke with two reconstructed shoulders I found myself reaching for the 372 as soon as the wood size was appropriate.
In addressing the OP's query i would strongly recommend the 390 if you have the body to handle it. The extra power and weight was very advantageous when bucking the bigger stuff.
Oh, and my first top end rebuild quote got me into saw mechanics... and this very useful forum.

try it on a slope. see how long you last lol you'll be at the dealer buying a 372 before you know it.

Funny, a few months after a little auto accident I dropped and bucked up 2 large Ash trees that the ash borers killed. They were both on a 30deg slope. Thought I was going to die! Wayyy out of shape! I have a 372 or 2. That would have been easier on me but the trees were 30"+, the 390 just does better on the bigger stuff like that. CJ

I love my 576AT. I also have a New 365XT that I turned into a 372. I really like the 365 but the 576 is smoother and has more grunt. It is a little heavier though. I'm still waiting on the New so called 572 or 590 to come out.

At Baileys, a Jonsered 2188 PHO is $979, and they're running a $40 off sale now, so its $939. If you're not in CA, then no tax. Shipping is $10 I think.

The Jred 2188 is the same saw are the 390xp, just different plastic cover on the air filer, and a slightly different angle on the hand bar. I have one, its a beast.

Check out Steve at wood cutters garage. He's a Jonsered dealer and sells new 2188's for under $900. He's also got a couple used ported trade ins available too the last I talked to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back