390xp Highspeed problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastRangeCutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so i have a 390xp, with an unlimited coil and it also uses a walbro wj-118 carb which doesnt have any stops for the carb adjustments. why cant i run my rpms over 13800? my High speed adjustment is all the way in, what am i missing?

so i have a 390xp, with an unlimited coil and it also uses a walbro wj-118 carb which doesnt have any stops for the carb adjustments. why cant i run my rpms over 13800? my High speed adjustment is all the way in, what am i missing?
The low might affect it believe it or not.

just went out and messed with the adjustment, i screwed it in till it died ,then back out till it loaded up, then went back to the middle and a touch leaner. then hit the rpms and its the same. i use a tach, for sure, i guess ill run it for while and see how it goes.

just went out and messed with the adjustment, i screwed it in till it died ,then back out till it loaded up, then went back to the middle and a touch leaner. then hit the rpms and its the same. i use a tach, for sure, i guess ill run it for while and see how it goes.
Dont keep leaning it out.

i wouldn't be running a stocker at that RPM. did you verify it's a 118 or did you look it up on the internet? 390's have 116's here in Canada and do have limiters. i don't see you somehow getting one without limiters in north america. regardless, i wouldn't run a stock 390 higher then 13.5k.

i wouldn't be running a stocker at that RPM. did you verify it's a 118 or did you look it up on the internet? 390's have 116's here in Canada and do have limiters. i don't see you somehow getting one without limiters in north america. regardless, i wouldn't run a stock 390 higher then 13.5k.
its a 118, and doesnt have limiter, its had a simple port and polish, ported muffler and no gasket, just simple mods nothing outrageous.

its a 118, and doesnt have limiter, its had a simple port and polish, ported muffler and no gasket, just simple mods nothing outrageous.
Stock 390's will normally be a bit rich at 13,500 but every saw is different. A well ported 390 will want to spin way way past 13,500. Unlimited aftermarket coils are plentiful, and a few unlimited oem coils are still floating around.

Sounds like you're saw is probably best set to around 13,500 unless something else is going on. Is the saw four stroking at 13,500?

And I agree, focusing on rpm and only rpm is never wise.

Stock 390's will normally be a bit rich at 13,500 but every saw is different. A well ported 390 will want to spin way way past 13,500. Unlimited aftermarket coils are plentiful, and a few unlimited oem coils are still floating around.

Sounds like you're saw is probably best set to around 13,500 unless something else is going on. Is the saw four stroking at 13,500?

And I agree, focusing on rpm and only rpm is never wise.

where did you ever see a stock 390 that 4 stroked at 13.5? lol was the one you had the only one you had experience with? 13.5 is what i tune stock 390's at and none of them 4 stroke warm. ya hear them buzz a little bit cold lol to run one at 13.8 is about the max healthy tune you will get away with without any upper transfer work and even then you need your other work done right. most guys doing there first port job won't know where to go to make them do those RPM happily and end up just making a stronger saw that doesn't do anymore RPM's then stock which is fine. if you port them a certain way the bottom ends run alot wetter so they are more up the the task of managing the higher RPM.

I keep my 385-390 @12.800 on the tach n never a problem in 10 years

now this saw is rich lol

Latest posts

Back