390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gonna port it Will, or leave it be? With those numbers, where would one port too? I guess if you done a popup and lowered the cylinder some, it would help it out all the way around?

Yes, will be ported. At a minimum you can widen the ports to max. I'll be lowering the cylinder, thinking of not doing a popup in this one, I haven't checked squish yet.

Squish is usually pretty tight around .025-.027" in the 3 I've checked. Compression really helps them come alive though.

Squish is usually pretty tight around .025-.027" in the 3 I've checked. Compression really helps them come alive though.

Ok, if its that tight, I'll probably do a popup, I kinda want to start conservative, since I've heard these port quite a bit differently then 372's. Have gotten a couple tips from a couple good builders, don't want to say anything yet due to respect for them. If they are cool with me sharing then I will.

Checked squish today. Was at .028", doesn't leave much room for lowering. So instead of doing a popup in this saw, I'm going to attempt to cut the squish band if needed, hope I don't screw up a new 390 top end.

Made a jig for holding the cylinder.

Now before anyone jumps all over me for copying others, well, I did, this isn't my idea got the idea from Eric and Dennis, couldn't see any other way to do it so why not use this method.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice saw Will. I want a 390 have for a long time. Was that a lathe? Good work you do alot of metal work?

Cool!!! If you never ran one of these things before HANG ON!! They are a beast stock! I recomend PPE. :msp_thumbup:

I started giggling like a little girl when my dealer fired up my 385 to tune the carb.!!!:dribble: I should of known when we had to go outside, when my other saws were fired in the shop!:big_smile:

I've been lusting after a 390 for some time now, finally got my mitts on one.

Yes that's my metal lathe. Do a bit of metal work, mostly chainsaw related.
Awesome Will, nice work, and that is a great skill, the metal work. Is the 390 headed to salt spring island soon?

BUT after running this thing for a year or so I'm wondering what a BB 395 would be like. I know a guy that has a 3120 and its just to friggn big.( I'm 5'8 190 he's 6'+) I would almost dread running some thing like that for a day! The 385 gets heavy at the end of the day, but its so much fun I don't mind. Any more weight would take some fun away. I would recomend a light weight bar if possible, my 36'' Carliton is very nose heavy!

BUT after running this thing for a year or so I'm wondering what a BB 395 would be like. I know a guy that has a 3120 and its just to friggn big.( I'm 5'8 190 he's 6'+) I would almost dread running some thing like that for a day! The 385 gets heavy at the end of the day, but its so much fun I don't mind. Any more weight would take some fun away. I would recomend a light weight bar if possible, my 36'' Carliton is very nose heavy!

395's get real heavy after a while. I've had a few of them.

That would be the ticket Will. I have never run a reduce'd weight. I want to try one. I do have a 34 standard weight bar on the 2101. My short self has adapted too!

That would be the ticket Will. I have never run a reduce'd weight. I want to try one. I do have a 34 standard weight bar on the 2101. My short self has adapted too!

Its nice, but they ain't cheap. Cost me a few dollars short of $200 for bar and chain.

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Ya I like! Sold that saw though, still have the bar, and down to 1 running 395 now, and one project.

Latest posts

Back