390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all of my saws, I've built. I never buy a running saw, unless its a older cool muscle saw I come across.

I want to mod mine but I'm having problems with the idea of tearing into a new saw that I had to scrimp and save for. But swaping out top ends is not that bad. When you port is there anything that needs to be done to the case?

JROPO, My M/M 390 is actually faster than my 395 in everything until it gets into the 16-20" or so range. That is where the torque of the 395 really shines. The only time so far I wished i had the 395 was a 54" tree that I removed last july. So far the 390 has been a good decision for me. Don't get me wrong the 390 handled the tree no problem but the 395 would have been faster in the big cuts. CJ

My brother is a timber falling contractor and he runs up to a 42" bar on his 390 without difficulty. I had a 385 towards the tail end of my falling career but I never ran more than a 36" on it and it was heavily modified. You need to be careful though, some other cutter friends have broken the crankcases on the 385/390 running the longer bars in big wood.

I want to mod mine but I'm having problems with the idea of tearing into a new saw that I had to scrimp and save for. But swaping out top ends is not that bad. When you port is there anything that needs to be done to the case?

No nothing to the case.

Cheaper than a 395 by a thousand or so!
How much to port? Ball park.

Sorry wont be me, got too many of my own things to do right now, and I'm not a sponsor of this site which you need to be to take work from here. Talk to one of the fine builders that are on this site that are sponsors.

My brother is a timber falling contractor and he runs up to a 42" bar on his 390 without difficulty. I had a 385 towards the tail end of my falling career but I never ran more than a 36" on it and it was heavily modified. You need to be careful though, some other cutter friends have broken the crankcases on the 385/390 running the longer bars in big wood.

That's kinda what I thought. The Husqvarna book says recomendened bar length max 28'' for the 385/390 so I know I'm pushing it w/ the 36''. And i'm sure there is a reason for that, during testing there might of been long term problems w/ running long bars on the smaller chassie. At the time I thought the 385/28'' would be more than enough for firewood. But the first tree I put that saw into I couldn't see over. I picked up the 36'' for $50 just for fun or the occasional tree, but it seems like it wears the 36'' the most.

No nothing to the case.

Sorry wont be me, got too many of my own things to do right now, and I'm not a sponsor of this site which you need to be to take work from here. Talk to one of the fine builders that are on this site that are sponsors.

I totally understand! I was just wondering what the ball park was on these since there seems to be quiet a few good builders on here now days and I was just wondering what the "going rate" was and I'm sure its just like sleds and bikes it all depends on what all you do to it. The $300 for the P/C is out of the question for me right now, but I would like to know how many pop cans I would need to take back before I can start shopping for a good Husqvarna builder.

I totally understand! I was just wondering what the ball park was on these since there seems to be quiet a few good builders on here now days and I was just wondering what the "going rate" was and I'm sure its just like sleds and bikes it all depends on what all you do to it. The $300 for the P/C is out of the question for me right now, but I would like to know how many pop cans I would need to take back before I can start shopping for a good Husqvarna builder.

I believe $250-300 is the going rate.

I believe $250-300 is the going rate.

EEEK Thats a New 346!
I hope its worth it!
Looks like the Crapsman is coming apart again! (practice)
395 top 385/390 bottom?
After market 390 top kit?
How is the build comming?

There's currently no aftermarket 390 top end kit and
putting a 395 top end on a 385 case would be more work than its'
worth. You'd be better off to stuff a 3120 top end on a 394/395
(Which I've actually seen in person.)

LOLOL!!!! Ya,,, will I can see your still working on your truck!!!!

Cheaper than a 395 by a thousand or so!
How much to port? Ball park.

Some really excellent builders come to mind in no specific order

ECsaws Eric Copsey (Ohio) is running a discount for next years bookings

Bad Brad Snelling (Ohio) can make one sing a tune,,,,

Mastermind (Tennessee) Smarter than the average Chimp!!!

Simonizer (Campbell River BC/CA) Builds solid fallers work saws

Tree Sling'r (N. California) Builds a mean saw

Back