390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? Will that bar fit the 390? With the mods I think you should be able to pull full comp. I run skip 73 JGX on my 36'' just to be safe. It seems to have trouble oiling that much surface at times I'm always tring different oils at different times (Summer/Winter). Plain rips w/ 24'' though.

Cool . Been tossing around a big Husky idea for a while. Had a pair of 372's that I liked. never been above that size in a Husky. May have to try one!

Good thread!

Wow...

that's some SURPRISINGLY HIGH exh #'s... (and t-fers for that matter...)

Is this going to be a build thread, Will?

if so, I'ma watchin'...

either way, the plastics on that saw are NICE!!! :rock:

Was this a box-saw from OR?? ;)

Why? Will that bar fit the 390? With the mods I think you should be able to pull full comp. I run skip 73 JGX on my 36'' just to be safe. It seems to have trouble oiling that much surface at times I'm always tring different oils at different times (Summer/Winter). Plain rips w/ 24'' though.

I wonder if the oil pump can be modded...

OR, if the W saws came with a bigger pump like the Stihl W saws did... :dunno:

Degreed the saw too, stock, base gasket in. Not the normal Husky numbers I'm used to.

Ex- 170° duration, 95° ATDC

Int- 150 duration, 74° FTDC

Tran- 122° duration, 119° ATDC
My 390 was very similiar to yours.:
Ex-96
Tran-122
Int-76

The exhaust isn't that high on a 385.

You gonna port it Will, or leave it be? With those numbers, where would one port too? I guess if you done a popup and lowered the cylinder some, it would help it out all the way around?
There's pleny to do in there. All the ports can be widened significantly. The transfers need to come up quite a bit too, IMHO.

Cool . Been tossing around a big Husky idea for a while. Had a pair of 372's that I liked. never been above that size in a Husky. May have to try one!

Good thread!

The only problem w/ the big Husky's is they like BIG wood and its not always avilable. So mine sees some shelf time. I thought that I could put a short bar on and do more cutting w/ it but its heavy and thirsy. When my 357 or your 372 would be like a sord this would be like a big heavy battle ax. Very fun battle ax! When she comes out its by appointment and I bring Moltrin.
View attachment 212518 40'' Limb

I wonder if the oil pump can be modded...

OR, if the W saws came with a bigger pump like the Stihl W saws did... :dunno:

Thats what I'd like to know! But if I'm reaching the limits of my oiler might be time for a bigger saw ( oh no)!

No won't be putting a 36 on this. Maybe 33" at most.

Wow...

that's some SURPRISINGLY HIGH exh #'s... (and t-fers for that matter...)

Is this going to be a build thread, Will?

if so, I'ma watchin'...

either way, the plastics on that saw are NICE!!! :rock:

Was this a box-saw from OR?? ;)

Yep, saw in a box from OR.

My 390 was very similiar to yours.:
Ex-96
Tran-122
Int-76

The exhaust isn't that high on a 385.

There's pleny to do in there. All the ports can be widened significantly. The transfers need to come up quite a bit too, IMHO.

Trans come up??? Do you mean raise the transfers? If I'm at 119atdc, you got to what 115atdc?

Were those numbers your stock #'s or modded?

I really like my 390, it wears a 20" bar most of the time. The saw is light enough to use as a limbing saw but still pulls hard with a 28" bar and full comp chain. I am looking for a 32" bar, I figure it will have no problem with that also. After a few tanks ran through my 395 I could really feel it, not so with the 390. I don't see alot of big wood so for myself to have a dedicated saw for just that makes no sence. With the 390 I have a saw that when the 36"+ trees come up it has no problem and can still be used in the smaller stuff. I really liked my past 285's and 385's so the 390 was the next logical step. CJ

Anything is possible I guess. But I don't think anything can take the place of a 372. This will be a big 372 I think, for bigger wood.

My sentiments,,,, exactly......

Yes, will be ported. At a minimum you can widen the ports to max. I'll be lowering the cylinder, thinking of not doing a popup in this one, I haven't checked squish yet.

Ya my modded 390XP is blowing 185 psi with a flat top piston with just a squish reduction w/.021 squish,,, it is a freaking animal as the rings are really started getting seated!!!!!

Last edited:
Thats what I'd like to know! But if I'm reaching the limits of my oiler might be time for a bigger saw ( oh no)!

Oilers on new -ERA EPA saws put out FAR less oil than the older saws did...one reason ya don't see manual oilers to speak of...someone might BUMP the button, and a few extra drops might come out, hit the ground, get into the local river :rolleyes: and start polluting :msp_ohmy:

and MAYBE it would kill a rare fish, or bird :bang: :taped:...

BUT, the 390xpW comes with a couple carbon-credits you can buy, and THEN your allowed to pollute.. :msp_rolleyes: :msp_mad:

:biggrinbounce2:

More pics please!!
Would a ported 390 top end work on a 385?
How would a ported 390 stack up to a stock 395?

More pics please!!
Would a ported 390 top end work on a 385?
How would a ported 390 stack up to a stock 395?

A ported 390 top end works perfectly on a 385.
I can't speak for Will, but the 357 he built for me would
stay right with a stock 372, so I'm sure his ported 390
would easily stay with a stock 395.

That good eh? I guess I otta port my 357, I don't use it much though, but if it would cut like a stock 372 i'd use it more.

I'm actually hoping that this 390 will run right by a stock 395.

Yes that's where the beauty of ported saws come in, they'll run with the next size up, but becomes a point where you need a bigger saw when the wood gets huge, if your running big bars.

I really like my 390, it wears a 20" bar most of the time. The saw is light enough to use as a limbing saw but still pulls hard with a 28" bar and full comp chain. I am looking for a 32" bar, I figure it will have no problem with that also. After a few tanks ran through my 395 I could really feel it, not so with the 390. I don't see alot of big wood so for myself to have a dedicated saw for just that makes no sence. With the 390 I have a saw that when the 36"+ trees come up it has no problem and can still be used in the smaller stuff. I really liked my past 285's and 385's so the 390 was the next logical step. CJ

I personally don't use mine unless I have some bigger firewood that the 357 might struggle with (then its the 24''), or some one wants a big wooden turd out of there yard (then is the 36''). I have probally used my 28'' on maybe 5 trees. If I new then what I know now I would have the pounded into my head recommended "3 saw plan" (346,372,80+cc). But I still stand by my route and you would have to pry my babies from my cold dead fingers. I just have some gaps that need filling. I'm thinking of filling those gaps w/ modded basket case's like parrisw's 390 due to the fact that instead of buying whole XP line up new I could get a newer truck.

That vid I just watched in the other thread 357 bb? 372 top? That saw sound bbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaadddd!!!!!!!!
Thats what I thought since they are the same chassie, but was unsure about the transfers lineing up and what not.

Last edited:
I personally don't use mine unless I have some bigger firewood that the 357 might struggle with (then its the 24''), or some one wants a big wooden turd out of there yard (then is the 36''). I have probally used my 28'' on maybe 5 trees. If I new then what I know now I would have the pounded into my head recommended "3 saw plan" (346,372,80+cc). But I still stand by my route and you would have to pry my babies from my cold dead fingers. I just have some gaps that need filling. I'm thinking of filling those gaps w/ modded basket case's like parrisw's 390 due to the fact that instead of buying whole XP line up new I could get a newer truck.

Almost all of my saws, I've built. I never buy a running saw, unless its a older cool muscle saw I come across.

Back