391 or 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Echo 450P is getting worn out after much heavier use than intended. I know the 391 is a "Farm/Ranch" saw but the 441 is not all that much heavier and I want the extra power. However, not 100% sure of the extra $400 difference.

I'm willing to pay the extra amount but at the same time, I don't want to "waste" money. I'm thinking of possibly getting an apprenticeship with a tree company after I retire so I'm leaning more toward the 441. Should I go ahead and get the 441? All I need is an excuse. ;)

The 391 is a wannabe the 441 is the real deal.

Except that the 441 still is a "strato" Stihl, meaning bulky and heavy for the power output.

The 391 is much worse, and about as bad as it gets in that regard (except for the 311 of course) - but those are "homeowner type" saws.

I'd be thinking much more about a real 60cc saw, echo 620, dolmar 6100(which would probably be my choice), husqvarna 555, 560, 562(and jonsered equivalent, the 555 would also be my choice) or stihl 362. Those saws would all be more than sufficient for most cutting scenarios!

Okay...so switch out the 391 with a 362? I want something that I won't wear out too soon. The 450P was purchased back in 2011 and the front bar nut post is slightly bent and the nuts themselves are almost stripped. The oiler screw is broken as well. I know I could get them fixed but there aren't any dealers close to where I live.

Honestly, I over worked the Echo during the 8 months it took to fell, buck, and split that 42"-44" DBH red oak last year. I'm not too worried about weight as I'll still be using the 450P to limb and cut up the smaller stuff. It would basically be my 2-saw plan until the 450P finally bites the dust.

With a Stihl you can double them up for other uses, when they run out of fuel you can use them for banging in fence posts or breaking concrete etc, they cut pretty well too

I guess one of the biggest reasons I have to get a bigger saw is so I have the option to run a 25" bar for the times I need to. We have some pretty big oaks down here in Savannah. Would a 362 handle a 25" bar with no problems? I know that when I rented a 391 with a 20" bar to help with the oak last year, it got bogged down quite a bit (and no, I wasn't trying to wrestle the saw into the wood...was letting the saw do the work).

Now that I have a fireplace, I'm going to try to save some money by using it more during the winters.

From what I've heard a 441 will eat wood with 20" or 25" and it's self tuning

If you buy a 441c you get a professional class 70cc autotune saw that'll work all day everyday. Good AV, fantastic filtration and pro build quality.
Or spend less

over here i can get a dolmar 421(42cc/3hp mag case saw pro build type) and a dolmar 6100(pro built 60cc saw) for the price of a 362/560/562! And i am similar to you, not a pro and will never need the lightest most powerful saw on the market! And if i take 10min longer during a days work of cutting, i couldn't care less!

I guess one of the biggest reasons I have to get a bigger saw is so I have the option to run a 25" bar for the times I need to. We have some pretty big oaks down here in Savannah. Would a 362 handle a 25" bar with no problems? I know that when I rented a 391 with a 20" bar to help with the oak last year, it got bogged down quite a bit (and no, I wasn't trying to wrestle the saw into the wood...was letting the saw do the work).

Now that I have a fireplace, I'm going to try to save some money by using it more during the winters.
25" on a 362 with no problems? I'd say no. You can run a 25" in a pinch, but I wouldn't wear a 25"on a 60cc saw permanently, especially for hardwood. That's 70cc territory.

If you don't want to shell out the cash for a new 441, you can find a nice used 440 or 460. They will run 400 to 600 depending on condition. Buying from a reputable seller on the Trading Post here is a good way to go.

I love my 362 C-M, but mostly as a limbing saw. If you are planning to run a 24" bar in Oak on a regular basis, I would get either the 441 C-M or 461. You will not be disappointed with either.

Now perhaps a ported 362 could fill your needs ...

My Echo 450P is getting worn out after much heavier use than intended. I know the 391 is a "Farm/Ranch" saw but the 441 is not all that much heavier and I want the extra power. However, not 100% sure of the extra $400 difference.

I'm willing to pay the extra amount but at the same time, I don't want to "waste" money. I'm thinking of possibly getting an apprenticeship with a tree company after I retire so I'm leaning more toward the 441. Should I go ahead and get the 441? All I need is an excuse. ;)

Sounds like you need a Wild Thingy. : )

Latest posts

Back