394XP vs 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade to a larger saw for milling and have kind of narrowed down to the 394XP/395XP, but I was trying to get some better information on the difference from the saw and was hoping some more intelligent people could help clarify for me. From what I've researched, this is what I can determine (or have read, true or not?):

-the 394XP has better torque in its power band, but both are the same HP
-the 394XP has a smaller crankshaft bearing that was increased in the 395XP
-the muffler in the 394XP is different and has less flow resistance

anyone who can chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. Given if the torque is true, for use of milling, the 394XP would be a slightly better option, though I doubt I would be disappointed in either.

also, in regards to the 394XPG model, this just offers the hand warming coils? Given I am in Texas, more heat is the last thing I need in the summer. Is there a way to turn that feature off or remove the generator? (also aware of the fact that it is just another power leech in heavier cutting).

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

also, in regards to the 394XPG model, this just offers the hand warming coils? Given I am in Texas, more heat is the last thing I need in the summer. Is there a way to turn that feature off or remove the generator? (also aware of the fact that it is just another power leech in heavier cutting).

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

You can turn the heating on/off as you please.

One differense that you didn't mention is that the 394xp has a two transfer cylinder, and the 395xp a quad one.

i like both saws and would choose either depending on price. i actually think the 394 having more torque thing is BS. i have owned alot of each of these saws and i couldn't tell a difference. they actually seem to run pretty damn close to identicle. you have me questioning what the inside of the mufflers look like now because of what you said about restriction. been a while since i've been in one of these saws but i believe the mufflers were the same.

Thanks for the input. Are there any disadvantages to having an XPG model if i don't plan on using its feature 90% of the time?

I've seen some 394XP's labeled air injection on their side decals. Is there a difference in those, or is that just a promotional thing they put on models before/after a certain date?

Not sure where you're at(it's a big state), but you're welcome to run my 394xp. You'll have to find some wood though, I don't have anything around that would put a decent load on it.

Thanks for the offer. I am in Fort Worth.

Do you ever have issues with vapor lock when you run your 394xp in warmer weather?

I haven't run it enough yet to find such a problem. Only thing I've used it for so far was noodling a bunch of big pecan rounds. I ran several tanks through it without issue, until the intake block bolts vibrated out.

Edit: I'm an hour north of dallas.

There's no difference in the crankshaft bearings between the 394 and 395. The 394 crankshaft itself is actually slightly beefier than the 395 crank and is a few grams heavier. The flywheels are different as well since the flywheel key is molded into the 395 flywheel like the 365/371/372/385/390 flywheels. The 394 flywheel is a few grams heavier than the 395 flywheel.

Machinistttx, you sound right in the neck of woods I grew up in. I grew up in Denison. Not many places an hour north of Dallas that are still in Texas, hah.

Machinistttx, you sound right in the neck of woods I grew up in. I grew up in Denison. Not many places an hour north of Dallas that are still in Texas, hah.

My family has been in this area since the 1860's. :)

Latest posts

Back