395xp disappointed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knobby57

Peeing outdoors
Reaction score
I ran across a 395xp in pretty good shape over the summer . It started up no problem and sounded good. It was a crazy good deal . The chain was wiped and me being a stihl guy I had no .058 . 4 or 5 100 foot roles 050 but non of that stuff for the other saws . This thing sat in my garage for a few months . I finally got around and ordered a bar adapter to install a stihl bar . Grab a 25” bar to throw on and give this baby a test . Crap . Turns out my chains for my stihls are about a DL short .. Found a chain that was pretty wooped up and a bit streached . Not quick and easy to get a chain on like the stihls . But ok ok I’m on top of this . Give the chain a touch up with my outside in filing (works well for me )and head up to my brothers to try it out . This is when it happened . And I can’t say how disappointed I am !!!! This thing is a beast !!! Runs like a top. All the power in the world going though 18-22 “ dry oak that was logged and thrown in a pile a couple years ago . Made about 100 cuts or so before the thing finally ran low on fuel . Seemed like forever . The av and balance on this saw is amazing !!! Wish I had a good dealer for these things local . Very much respect for the orange saws . Hats off toHusky .

Damn! You're right up the road from me. Congrats on the saw. I got a good dealer here in Berwick that deals Husky. They also have a shop in Dallas. That's pretty close to you. I don't know if we can post businesses here so if you want more info, let me know. I'll shoot you a PM.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Do the old girl a favor and buy Husky large mount bar in 50 gauge of whatever length you want and go to town. I seldom run over 24", but the other day I had a 36" on the ported 288XP and WOW. The 395 will really pull a big bar. Big saws come into their own when enough load is put on it.

I was between a 395 and a 661 for my big saw. Wanted the ability to run longer bars and do some chainsaw milling. I went with the 661. These big saws are certainly a whole different animal!

Damn! You're right up the road from me. Congrats on the saw. I got a good dealer here in Berwick that deals Husky. They also have a shop in Dallas. That's pretty close to you. I don't know if we can post businesses here so if you want more info, let me know. I'll shoot you a PM.

Berwick. Do you get to Bobs subs ? I used to to to a place out that way to see the local talent ...

Berwick. Do you get to Bobs subs ? I used to to to a place out that way to see the local talent ...
Sometimes. Pretty good subs there. They still get some live bands at a small bar outside of town called Hogs Hollow. Good food too. Live entertainment is hard to find anymore.

The 390 is a 6.6 horse power saw, they run really well, mine would out cut a 660 in 20" and less diameter wood but the 7 horsepower 395 and 660 would beat it every time in 24" wood and bigger. 390 is allot smoother but is also a lot newer design.

It's a trap, it's a trap..... I was pretty much a die hard Stihl guy for probably 15 years and built up quite the collection all the way back to the BLK. I never really considered Husky, for two reasons, all I ever really had through my shop were the homeowner/ranch ones, and there wasn't a dealer near by. Then I took a 2100 in as partial trade for a Stihl saw I was selling, now about 4 years later, my Husky collection is about 80% the size of my Stihl collection. Then I started on the yellow ones... it's a trap I tell you.

Do the old girl a favor and buy Husky large mount bar in 50 gauge of whatever length you want and go to town. I seldom run over 24", but the other day I had a 36" on the ported 288XP and WOW. The 395 will really pull a big bar. Big saws come into their own when enough load is put on it.
Fitted with a 32" 3/8 x 1.3 bar & chain it will give good performance

I think it is a trap !!!! Lol. I don’t have a call for over a 28” much usually a 25” will get most I do with some room and I don’t have to reach for limbing . That’s said I have at least 2 x36 “, 2x28”.barscthat hang on the wall . It will probably get a 30” wide bar I have that I converterted to 404 .

I think it is a trap !!!! Lol. I don’t have a call for over a 28” much usually a 25” will get most I do with some room and I don’t have to reach for limbing . That’s said I have at least 2 x36 “, 2x28”.barscthat hang on the wall . It will probably get a 30” wide bar I have that I converterted to 404 .

Now you just need a 3120, 2101, 390, 572(soon), 372, 272, 262, 357, 346, 242 and you'll be in good shape. I'm probably forgetting a dozen or so, but if you get those for now you'll be well on your way. Of course you'll want the red counterparts to go with them. Then, then, then.... if you ask my wife, it isn't funny anymore.

Now you just need a 3120, 2101, 390, 572(soon), 372, 272, 262, 357, 346, 242 and you'll be in good shape. I'm probably forgetting a dozen or so, but if you get those for now you'll be well on your way. Of course you'll want the red counterparts to go with them. Then, then, then.... if you ask my wife, it isn't funny anymore.
Cheaper than heroin ..??ohoh maybe not

Cheaper than heroin ..??ohoh maybe not

In the long run, I would say much cheaper, used saws typically carry more monetary value than empty used syringes. I've never tried heroin, but if it's nearly as addicting as chainsaw collecting, I see why there is a problem. Eventually you get to the point where you pass up saws cause you already have one or ten of that model. I'm not sure a heroin addict ever passes up heroin. So, I think you'll be okay, just have to get the first 250 or so saws on the shelf. Smooth sailing after that, or so I've heard...

If you want to slow chainsaw collecting .... a race car works ok . Sure fire way ... first by a descent size tractor . Then you need a trailer to pull it . Oh and a good diesel truck to pull it . You can’t leave that baby stock . Mini max tuner . 6 inch turbo back exhaust and southbend duel disc clutch . EGR deleat kit and intake to start . For about 6500 $ if you can find used . The a duel turbo kit and a fass fuel pump kit and injectors . Another 6k . 6 new tires 1400$ . Oh and then you need a good back blade and box blade and rake . Lots more $$$ . So to try and save you go to a auction and come home with a skid steer and a Ariel lift 20k or so ,also . Then you need a grapple and light duty bucket for the skid steer 1000$ . And of course 4 tires 1000$. I’ll stop there but it slowed down to the point of a 4x4 cat extendahoe backhoe . Older cat track loader and a medeum size 80 horse tractor . People complain about 100$ to repair a saw . Get into that stuff and if it’s only 200-400$ to repair anything equipment size you giggle because that’s as good as it gets . Probably into hydroloc hose for about 500-600 last year

Latest posts

Back