395XP gets hot and stops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ciscoguy01 said:
Piston scoring is not covered? What the hell kinda deal is that crap? That's like a bumper to bumper saying that a transmission isn't covered. That's it, I'm done with husky's now. Stihl all the way. Couple things, I'd like to know what the first 395's problem was, and, could it possibly be something in the carb? I.e. a spring. When it gets hot, they open up, cold they contract. I used to have an exact problem like this and ended up being one of the older ignition modules. Lemme know what you find. Also, sorry to hear your having problems with a thousand dollar saw dude. That really sucks. But I think it sucks more that your dealer won't go good for a scored piston after you spent a thousand dollars on a saw.

I don't know about Husky, but Stihl also won't make a blanket coverage for piston scoring. Sure, they'll listen to any reasonable story and often do pay out, but as they point out, most scoring is operator related, like fuels or mixes. The dealer has to make the case though...

395XP surgery

OK! Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm getting ready to replace the piston & rings again today. Maybe this time I'll find out what is causing this problem. I've printed out the thread and will be checking on all the things mentioned. I'll report back on progress...

Hey Dave, hope theres nothing wrong with your 395, I thought it was a nice saw for somethoing that new.;)

It wouls seem like a venting problem with it quitting as aproximatly the same time every time.

Just check out your pis/cyl for good measure regardless.

Eric

Back