3pt hitch splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagrue

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just found this site and its great. I have had a taylor water stove for a couple yrs. It has really saved me a bundle. I live in an old draft house:laugh:

Does anyone know of a good set of plans for building a 3pt hitch, hydrolic tractor mounted splitter. I have a 45 hp tractor and would like to have a splitter for it. If having to buy all of the parts, am I going to save much money by building my own?

3 Pt Hitch Splitter

I looked at this very carefully prior to building my splitter. Since I had a cylinder and a couple of pumps and a 5 hp Honda engine I went we a free standing vertical split unit.

I priced out the individual parts at Princess Auto and easily ran up a bill close to 7 / 8 hundred dollars.

Unless you have a bunch of "stuff" to fabricate the unit etc I suggest that you look at one that is already made. No muss and no fuss.

Also you need to look at how much wood you are going to split. If it is minimal then a simple horizontal splitter is OK. If you have big stuff and are splitting more than 20 /30 chords then you really need to look at a vertical unit and these are more complicated for 3 Pt. hitch units.

I think I spent around $400 on the one I built, but I didn't buy my main beam or hoses. Were you planning on using the pto to drive a pump, or use the remotes on your tractor?

I looked at this very carefully prior to building my splitter. Since I had a cylinder and a couple of pumps and a 5 hp Honda engine I went we a free standing vertical split unit.

I priced out the individual parts at Princess Auto and easily ran up a bill close to 7 / 8 hundred dollars.

Unless you have a bunch of "stuff" to fabricate the unit etc I suggest that you look at one that is already made. No muss and no fuss.

Also you need to look at how much wood you are going to split. If it is minimal then a simple horizontal splitter is OK. If you have big stuff and are splitting more than 20 /30 chords then you really need to look at a vertical unit and these are more complicated for 3 Pt. hitch units.

Well I wont be splitting that much. The only thing that concerns me about the horizontal unit is the big pieces that I can lift up on it. I have several of those out there right now.

I think I spent around $400 on the one I built, but I didn't buy my main beam or hoses. Were you planning on using the pto to drive a pump, or use the remotes on your tractor?

remotes on tractor. I dont have anything laying around. I would have to buy everything. I can get a horizontal unit on ebay for about 500 bucks. Is your vertical or horizotal?

If you decide to built it yourself, make sure your controlling valves match your tractor. If the tractor is open center you need an open center valve and the same for closed center. Running them mixed can damage either the tractor or the valve. Your manual for the tractor should tell.
Sam

Latest posts

Back