4-Stroke String Trimmer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Stihl. It'll do the blackberries OK and will girdle the older that a year alders. I'm liking it so far. The trusted guys at the sawshop recommended it over the 2 stroke and said it had more torque. I really went up. I was running an old Homelite Bandit, which I liked pretty well but it was not as powerful. In fact, you have reminded me that I should probably do the yard as soon as it dries out. That would be August.:greenchainsaw:

has anyone used a shindaiwa 4-stroke. Iv had a two stroke shindaiwa for ten years and this thing absolutly has 8000 hours on it. Iv been thinking of getting a new trimmer and after a service record like that I hate to change brands. Iv never had to replace anything on it but the head a few times.

has anyone used a shindaiwa 4-stroke. Iv had a two stroke shindaiwa for ten years and this thing absolutly has 8000 hours on it. Iv been thinking of getting a new trimmer and after a service record like that I hate to change brands. Iv never had to replace anything on it but the head a few times.

8K hours, good god! Thats trimming grass nonstop for a year straight! It's hard to argue with that. Shindaiwa says first to start last to quit, and I guess they really mean it!

Powerful!!!!1
You are kidding?
A FS250 is the minimum strimmer that should be sold
:agree2:
I bought one this spring and won't trade it, nor would I go back to my 31 cc 12 year old Ryobi. Can't imagine using anything smaller. It goes through anything that I put it up to. I guess you could call it a brush hog on a stick!! Now if I could find string that is as tough.

Got a 4 mix Shindaiwa, great unit.
Bought it from my Johnnyred dealer, he was so confident that I'd like it that he told me to use it for 30 days & would refund me 100% if I didn't like it.
How do ya beat that?!!!:cheers:
Paul

Powerful!!!!1
You are kidding?
A FS250 is the minimum strimmer that should be sold
:agree2:
I bought one this spring and won't trade it, nor would I go back to my 31 cc 12 year old Ryobi. Can't imagine using anything smaller. It goes through anything that I put it up to. I guess you could call it a brush hog on a stick!! Now if I could find string that is as tough.

Pan,
Try the .100" Shindaiwa string, tough as the trimmer.
Paul

If this is your trimmer and the specs are right, it's 13lbs. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...=P2TB&modelname=HHT25SLTAT&modelid=HHT25SLTAT

My 100RX(4-mix) is 10.4lbs. I just used it for 4 hours around the FD and hunting club, the power that trimmer puts out is amazing. My arms and body feel great.:D Unless I decide to get a 250 bike handle, I will never go back to a 2 stroke trimmer. These 4 mix trimmers are the sheet!
Yup, thats the Honda Ive got. Its not so much the weight, its the balance. The rear part of trimmer where the engine is weighs noticably more than does the front.
I didnt think the weight was that bad either until last summer I used my brother's 20cc Echo trimmer. Just as much power but waaaaay lighter and a lot less tiring to use.
The engine on the Honda is a work of art and will run forever, but you have to be careful to really keep an eye on the oil level. They dont hold much oil (I think its less than a cup of oil) so its easy to run the pump dry and to burn up the engine. Ive also heard that the timing belts on the Honda GC engines are somewhat suspect, but the belts on my 2 GCs have been fine thus far.
About the 4-mix, those are pretty cool in that they are have a lot of the advantages of a 4-stroke without the weight.
Im personally not a fan of Stihl trimmers. Ive got enough experience with them to know that I dont want to own one.

I have the Troybuilt version. I am just a homeowner and don't use it comercially but do have a number of attachments (blower vac, cultivator, blower, edger, hedge trimmer, pole type reciprocating saw) and find that mine anyway starts very reliably, runs well, and I have had zero problems with it.

I have only had it for 4 or 5 years so I can't comment on the ultimate longevity, but for my purposes it certainly has been a good tool.

There are a couple of things I find annoying however, RPM needs to be pretty high to get the clutch to engage so certain delicate trimming operations are difficult, and on the top end it has a rev limiter (or just valve float) so it's pretty annoying when working in a task that requires WOT and goes in and out of load like edging.

Mark

Last edited:
Back