40:1 to rich?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the guy telling you this don't know ****. I find synthetic burns more complete, thus less carbon, the regular stihl oil you will carbon up more. But it takes a long time to carbon up a saw, keep it tuned right and you wont have a problem. If it starts getting carbon'd up you need to decarbon before it causes a problem. Most people abuse their stuff, and perform no maintenance, thus burning up top ends.

What he said!

I am surprised that your Stihl tech would claim that saws are "burning up" with a 40:1 mix, using synthetic! I run 40:1 in ALL of my equipment (Stihl Ultra), and will continue to do so. Premature failure with this setup is the least of my concern. If ethanol was not a concern, I may try 50:1- but is not the case with todays fuel.

Hmm well I guess any saw that was built before 1990 was just prone to carbon failue no matter how it was tuned according to that saw tech..

I don't put a lot of faith in my local dealer. My local stihl dealer didn't even know what RSC chain was???

My local Dolmar dealer isn't any better... I won't even walk through his door anymore..

Take what he said with a grain of salt...

I just run everything at 32:1. It's easy math mixing 4 ounces to the gallon. Also, everyday is different as far as tuning goes, so whenever I fire up a saw, I'll warm it up for a few minutes, make a couple cuts, and then check it wide open. If it's not 4 stroking wide open, then I'll back out the H jet until it is. Definitely when doing mods or breaking in new saws, the operator needs to stay on top of the tuning.

Stihl could sell more of their premium oil if it suggested 40:1.
If 40:1 made the saws more durable/reliable or perform better, it would be in Stihl's interest to suggest that ratio.

But Stihl suggests 50:1, even during break-in.

Not knocking anybody, just curious - what is it that people seek to gain via 40:1 (or even richer) and how does the richer mix acheive that goal?

Thanks

First off the EPA dictates what saw companies recommend to run in their saws without a care as to what is best for the saw.
Second is 40:1 is LEANER than 50:1. More oil in the mix means less fuel. Less fuel = leaner. Adjust your carb accordingly.
Third more oil means better lubrication. If you have modded your saw at all or abuse it such as using one for milling, extra oil adds a safety margin.
Last point is I have seen a ton of motors eat themselves for lack of lubrication. Its hard to argue a case of engine damage do to over lubrication.

yours dont hold together long enough to burn up.....:hmm3grin2orange:
th_ohsnap.gif

Stihl could sell more of their premium oil if it suggested 40:1.
If 40:1 made the saws more durable/reliable or perform better, it would be in Stihl's interest to suggest that ratio.

But Stihl suggests 50:1, even during break-in.

Not knocking anybody, just curious - what is it that people seek to gain via 40:1 (or even richer) and how does the richer mix acheive that goal?

I have been under the impression that 50:1 was to satisfy the EPA, but I have no proof of that.

I have also read that in Germany 100:1 is required.

Yep more oil results in lowering the octane rating and the saw can run hotter. This is worse out west where the sun is bigger.

I had run Opti 2 for years and then switched Stihl Ultra at 50:1 for a couple of years. I did not like the Ultra because of the smell so now I am back to running Opti at 100:1.

It has always been funny to me when people say that Stihl doesn't know what it is doing by recommending 50:1 or they say it is an EPA conspiracy to ruin all saws. All modern Stihl saws are desined to run at 50:1 for any normal work. (Milling may be different, I don't mill much so I don't know and I don't follow the milling threads.) Husqvarna says the same thing as Stihl and if there are other saw makers I bet they say the same thing. Somehow, guys like me are smarter than the engineers at Stihl? No I don't think so.

Last edited:
Yep more oil results in lowering the octane rating and the saw can run hotter. This is worse out west where the sun is bigger.

I had run Opti 2 for years and then switched Stihl Ultra at 50:1 for a couple of years. I did not like the Ultra because of the smell so now I am back to running Opti at 100:1.

It has always been funny to me when people say that Stihl doesn't know what it is doing by recommending 50:1 or they say it is an EPA conspiracy to ruin all saws. All modern Stihl saws are desined to run at 50:1 for any normal work. (Milling may be different, I don't mill much so I don't know and I don't follow the milling threads.) Husqvarna says the same thing as Stihl and if there are other saw makers I bet they say the same thing. Somehow, guys like me are smarter than the engineers at Stihl? No I don't think so.

You do know Opti 2 is not even a full sys oil. I ran it for about a year, IMHO it's tar. Ultra and other syn oils are far Superior. Smarter than the engineers? no. Smarter than the EPA? YES!

Last edited:
I ran a tank of Trufuel 40:1 through my saw and noticed it spit blackish spots all over near the exhaust port. It didn't do that before with the Stihl Ultra mized 50:1, nor does it do it with the Trufuel 50:1. I have to think based on these observations that my saw likes 50:1 stuff.

So with this piston at 100:1 where does the carbin come from ? and whats the go with the blow bye below the rings ?.
What Ron, Octane fuel did it live on ?.

Andrew

Back