40-50cc chainsaw (what to get)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your MS250 has the wrenchless chain adjustment, that is going to be the first thing you miss when you get a different saw. If it does not, then get another MS250 with that feature.
No mine isn't a wrenchless model, don't think that I would want one with that feature.

I would like to someday have a shindaiwa 377 and a redmax g3800avs to compare to my dolly ps401.

Current model redmax gz4000 or gz4500 saws pique my interest, also.

These are all well under 10 lb, 40-ish cc saws.

Like others have said, echo cs400 cs4500 or 500p. all good saws. as well as dolmar. i would even look at jonsered, while they have husqvarna engines, they have a very different feel, and there are lots of dealers on this site who could give you a good price

I had an 025, sold it, and kind of miss it. Depending on how much you use it that saw is probably going to keep you happy for a long time. If your looking for more performance a muffler mod and a fully adjustable carb will go a long way. I'd say keep it, get another saw, and then decide which one to sell. I am not brand loyal, just saying that is a decent saw.
Agreed. An 025/250 wakes up nicely with even a mild muffler mod. If you can tune the high jet on your carb, then you can really gut the muffler and retune the saw. You'll have a "whole new saw" after that. Might as well put in a new spark plug and air filter while you're doing the work. Put on a sharp chain and you're good to go.

Agreed. An 025/250 wakes up nicely with even a mild muffler mod. If you can tune the high jet on your carb, then you can really gut the muffler and retune the saw. You'll have a "whole new saw" after that. Might as well put in a new spark plug and air filter while you're doing the work. Put on a sharp chain and you're good to go.

One more thing to add to that 215 carb :msp_thumbup:

346xp, 550xp, 353, 545
No offense sunfish, but did you read the original post? The OP wants to try anything other than a Stihl or husky. Granted your suggestions are good ones, but he aint looking for a husky or stihl. To the OP, IMO muffler mod and retune that 250 and keep it, but I understand wanting to try something other than the big two brands. Good luck.

Either a Echo Cs400 or Dolmar 40cc. With a muff modd a CS400 will cut quite a bit faster than the CS4400 you had, a Dolmar is a good saw also but real life weight might be quite a bit more than the Echo CS400 at 13# ready to cut, I think the Dolmar might be 14-1/2 + pounds. Steve

OP I see that you have your chainsaw for sale for 170 bucks shipped. I can tell you that you will not find anything new that cuts as well as your MS-250 for 170 bucks. I really enjoy my MS 250 for the weight and power 3hp 10lb. power head it is hard to beat.

The downfall for the MS 250 is the lack of good pre filtration (air injection), poor A/V, clamshell design. Pluses out weigh the minus in my book. It cuts like and angry beaver for it's size and weight.

You could purchase a reconditioned Husky 435 for 170 online but your MS 250 would cut circles around that saw as far as power is concerned.

Unless there's something wrong with your MS250, it's as good as if not better than other saws in its class/price range. Not sure you'll see much difference with another brand unless you go to the pro level saws for significantly more $$$.

Unless there's something wrong with your MS250, it's as good as if not better than other saws in its class/price range. Not sure you'll see much difference with another brand unless you go to the pro level saws for significantly more $$$.

I didn't see any heckuva huge diff between my 250 and a good running poulan. The stihl is a little lighter, but as for cutting, not much difference.

I have been thinking especially after reading all the posts that I am going to keep the 250, it is a good saw, maybe down the road if I get the extra $$$ I will get something else and keep the 250. With a good set of dentures (sharp chain) she sure can gobble up wood. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Last edited:
OP I see that you have your chainsaw for sale for 170 bucks shipped. I can tell you that you will not find anything new that cuts as well as your MS-250 for 170 bucks. I really enjoy my MS 250 for the weight and power 3hp 10lb. power head it is hard to beat.

The downfall for the MS 250 is the lack of good pre filtration (air injection), poor A/V, clamshell design. Pluses out weigh the minus in my book. It cuts like and angry beaver for it's size and weight.

You could purchase a reconditioned Husky 435 for 170 online but your MS 250 would cut circles around that saw as far as power is concerned.

What kind of rocket fuel were they using to see 3 hp out of a 250? That's ludicrous. 2 hp is much more like it.

A bit back I was running my PP4218 next to friend with a 250. Said to him "try this and choose." He compared in the wood, and said "definitely" to PP. He said the PP A/V was night & day better than 250, besides.

Both have lots of plastic. Both were sharp. PP cost $94 fob my door. At least you can get lots of suckers to toss $ at something labeled "stihl", even the gutless wonders. P.T. Barnum covered that.

What kind of rocket fuel were they using to see 3 hp out of a 250? That's ludicrous. 2 hp is much more like it.

A bit back I was running my PP4218 next to friend with a 250. Said to him "try this and choose." He compared in the wood, and said "definitely" to PP. He said the PP A/V was night & day better than 250, besides.

Both have lots of plastic. Both were sharp. PP cost $94 fob my door. At least you can get lots of suckers to toss $ at something labeled "stihl", even the gutless wonders. P.T. Barnum covered that.
I was at Lowe's today and saw a PP4218, not a bad looking saw but don't like the idea of a saw without a spike bumper. Overall I think the Stihl 250 is better quality.

I have been thinking especially after reading all the posts that I am going to keep the 250, it is a good saw, maybe down the road if I get the extra $$$ I will get something else and keep the 250.

Good choice, since it sounded like you were unsure exactly what you were looking for.

An important benefit of A.S. 'membership' are the 'get-togethers' (GTG), where you often have the opportunity to try a bunch of different saw models, including some antique saws, some modded saws, different chains, and a variety of brands.

Keep your eyes open in the forums for one in your area and try as many saws as you can. You will quickly get a feel for the weight, balance, power, smoothness, etc. of different saws, and have an idea of what you might want to look for in your next saw. (I know that I have my list . . . )

Philbert

There is a GTG coming up over here. Samdaweezel05 is having one but the date is yet to be determined. There will be plenty of saws to try out and possibly a few for sale.

Should be a 2 hour drive for ya give or take. If you or anyone else is interested let me know and I'll keep you informed

Latest posts

Back