$400.00 dollar budget what saw to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, dang

I should probably just bookmark stuff like that MM thread when I see it...alas, a quick search didn't yield what I was looking for. Not sure if there's a specific mod for your specific saw, but the takeaway I got was to compute the cross-sectional area of your exhaust port, and then make the muffler outlets total 80% of that cross section... There are a number of ways to do that, though the cleanest looking ones involve a MIG or TIG welder, some steel tubing and some stainless steel mesh. The more "traditional" method involves a drill bit... I'll keep looking if I get a minute...I see the cold and rainy weather outside as an excuse to mod my 021. :chainsawguy:

That Husky 350 is considered (marketed, etc) as a homeowner saw. It's doubtless a good saw, but nothing to pee your pants about, IMO. It's just another 50-ish CC saw, which you have more than covered with your new Dolkita. $150 doesn't necessarily blow my skirt up, but then again, I'm a cheap basstige. It's likely a fair price. The new 450 is roughly $360 at Baileys, as a price point comparison.

UPDATE::: DUH! I keep forgetting how to use the vacuum cleaner too... An advanced search, using ModifiedMark's handle to filter yields one result ;-)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116737&highlight=muffler

:D

Last edited:
Get a Husqvarna 353. It is a great saw that is identical to the 346XP. Mine regularly cuts right with my 372XP in small wood. The only problem the 353 has is it's the little sister to the 346XP.
ZG

My 353 was my only saw for last four years.I use it to cut up any big firs that volunteer for the wood pile during a wind storm.That saw with a 20" bar is a forest disposal unit.Has a magnesium case like the XP saws so is easy on my busted up old back.It even keeps up with my recently acquired modded 394XP.

buy another husky 350 and use the extra for gas and oil Dont straight gas it and you will have one good little saw.. truth be told for cutting firewood I use my husky 350 and 50 more than any other saw I have.

To the OP, I think it is a good thing you are trying to do starting a firewood business. It could work out well for you. As for people saying that there is no profit in it, that may be true for some and false for others. Just like anything else you will get from it what you put into it. As for your choice of saws, don't be ashamed of your Poulan or that you have a smaller Dolmar. There are many of us here, myself included, that came to this site with the same equipment not knowing the difference and trying to sound like we knew a heckuva lot more than we do (MYSELF INCLUDED). Some of us had to start cheap or small because that is all that we could afford at the time, if you get one season out of that Poulan, it will have paid for a larger pro saw for you without putting you in the hole. Good luck to you and let us know how you do.

So far so good. Been selling a couple loads a week. Not a lot o money by the time you factor gas but it all helps. As for my saws the poulan paid for itself off the first load so that worked out well. As for my dolmar well I need to sell a little more to cover it. And maybe with my income taxes I'm looking at buying a dolmar 7900 with a 24 inch bar. I realy like that saw. Thanks to everyone with good advice. I'll try to get some pics and video of my saws in action. :chainsawguy:

I second that

JimDad said it right. :clap: :agree2:
On this site, favorite saws seem to be the second thing "everyone has one" of! :) (myself included...of course, my first saw that was alllllll my own, nearly 20 years ago, was a yard sale find...the 268XP that I still have...it has completely skewed my expectations with regards to chainsaws!) :cheers:

Here is my $400, plus tax, saw that i purchased yesterday from The Cutting Edge. Thanks guys

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P.S. ....... It will eat a ms261 alive hehehehe

Here is my $400, plus tax, saw that i purchased yesterday from The Cutting Edge. Thanks guys

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thats cause it says "speed" on the top cover..:laugh:
if only it were turbocharged like those jonseredereds

Last edited:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sweet saw. I running a 510. Almost bought the 5105 but I decided to save a 100 bucks and put it towards a 7900. :chainsawguy:

A used 026 can be had for alot less than that. If you need bigger, a used 044 can be found for $350-400. Just depends on what you want to cut.

If you buy anything used, make sure it's a stihl, pre flip cap for the oil and mix. just built a 026 from two beat up saws and the thing works great, plus they are easy to maintain. Anything smaller than a MS360/ or 60cc,
make sure your running a 0.325 pitch chain. Just from my own experiance.

Back