.404 chain, 0.050 gauge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy in Wilton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a site that sells .404 chain in .050 gauge? I need a 24 inch or something that can be cut down to 24 inch.

That, or how hard is it to convert the sprocket from .404 to 3/8? The saw is a McCulloch 250 from 1965.

Thanx!

The clutch drive sprocket or the bar nose sprocket? Both are simple enough, but the bar if worn may not match the new nose. You can order a new rim drive clutch and drive sprocket then easily switch between 404 and 3/8 as needed w/ different drive sprockets.

I know a lot of proprietary stuff was out in the 60/70s time frame, but I have never heard of .404 x .050 chain. but what do i know. I'm just a newbie.

dw

First link on a bing search... PM sent.

dw

EDIT - Well that is specialized ripping chain.... maybe note what you need.

Last edited:
.404 .50 gauge is obsolete you have to call around to saw shops that have been around for 40 years to see if they have any hiding under a table or bench, I found a source in Haden ID but it is a small saw shop in a guys garage, I can PM you his # if you want, he has a full roll.

Go over to the Mac thread in the sticky threads,someone said they had some new 404 50,I think it was M Heimann.

Here's the deal-

I bought a 1960-something McCulloch 250 on eBay, and tried to make it work. Despite being what most people call a "gear-head", I couldn't get it to run, so I deferred to an expert. Mastermind turned it around, and the machine runs beautifully.

[I keep it with the plug wire pulled because it starts so easily now that I'm literally worried about a spontaneous start~ :msp_biggrin:]

OK, the seller on eBay told me that the 24 inch bar would need a .404 chain, and that the gauge was .063. OK, so I found a 25 inch chain on eBay, bought it for $60, and today took it to a local shop and asked them to cut the chain. They of course pointed out the obvious to me: The chain wouldn't fit into the slot in the bar, and after a lot of checking and straining, they finally told me they just couldn't get that chain. It is "out of production" according to them.

-Well, they were nice guys. I walked in there and told them that I thought the chain was too wide for the bar, and it went WHOOSH! Right over their heads. I left the saw there for them to search for a chain. But before I left....

["Holy [poop]! Lookit that!" And everyone in the shop, about 10 guys, came over and checked out the saw. It had a tiny amount of gas in it, so I fired it up. On the first pull. "BUummb bummmb bummb bummb" the old saw rumbled, its 80 cc idle WAY slower than what they were used to. "They used to use these engines in go-carts" I said. I revved it a few times, and suddenly these $1000 Stihl fans were shown the $125 eBay American-built alternative, heads nodding.]

Well, a few hours later, the guy at that shop called and said that they couldn't get the chain. So I have a .050 bar 24 inches long, and a sprocket that needs a .404 chain. I have a 25 inch long .404 chain that needs a .063 bar.

What is the easiest way to go?

Thanxx!

i asked the same question in the mac forum and someone did say they had some, i then looked on evilbay and found a place that had it also. i have not decided what i want to do yet, buy chain that is hard to get or just invest in a new .063 bar. good luck

I have a good bit of .404/.050 Oregon chain with humps, older stuff but NOS.

Let me know how many DL you loop requires (most McCulloch 24" would use 77 DL) and I will make sure I have some presets and can put a chain together for you.

PM me if you're interested and I can shoot you a price with shipping.

Mark

A new bar, then you can buy off the shelf chain at any shop in town.

dw

I think this is definitely the easiest route in the long run,

But, You certainly can't beat this for service:
heimannm

I have a good bit of .404/.050 Oregon chain with humps, older stuff but NOS.

Let me know how many DL you loop requires (most McCulloch 24" would use 77 DL) and I will make sure I have some presets and can put a chain together for you.

PM me if you're interested and I can shoot you a price with shipping.

Mark

Nice gesture, Mark, no matter what he decides to do.

Here's the deal-

I bought a 1960-something McCulloch 250 on eBay, and tried to make it work. Despite being what most people call a "gear-head", I couldn't get it to run, so I deferred to an expert. Mastermind turned it around, and the machine runs beautifully.

[I keep it with the plug wire pulled because it starts so easily now that I'm literally worried about a spontaneous start~ :msp_biggrin:]

OK, the seller on eBay told me that the 24 inch bar would need a .404 chain, and that the gauge was .063. OK, so I found a 25 inch chain on eBay, bought it for $60, and today took it to a local shop and asked them to cut the chain. They of course pointed out the obvious to me: The chain wouldn't fit into the slot in the bar, and after a lot of checking and straining, they finally told me they just couldn't get that chain. It is "out of production" according to them.

-Well, they were nice guys. I walked in there and told them that I thought the chain was too wide for the bar, and it went WHOOSH! Right over their heads. I left the saw there for them to search for a chain. But before I left....

["Holy [poop]! Lookit that!" And everyone in the shop, about 10 guys, came over and checked out the saw. It had a tiny amount of gas in it, so I fired it up. On the first pull. "BUummb bummmb bummb bummb" the old saw rumbled, its 80 cc idle WAY slower than what they were used to. "They used to use these engines in go-carts" I said. I revved it a few times, and suddenly these $1000 Stihl fans were shown the $125 eBay American-built alternative, heads nodding.]

Well, a few hours later, the guy at that shop called and said that they couldn't get the chain. So I have a .050 bar 24 inches long, and a sprocket that needs a .404 chain. I have a 25 inch long .404 chain that needs a .063 bar.

What is the easiest way to go?

Thanxx!

You can send the bar out and have the groove opened up to .063 .

There is a place in Portland OR that seems to be able to do it.

As far as which way to go, (bar or chain) it would depend on how you intend to use the saw. If it is mostly going to be for fun cutting from time to time but mostly a shelf queen, I would go with the chain. If it is a saw you intend to cut with regularly, then a .063 bar would make more sense. One chunk of metal in a tree and...

I have 160 links of NOS Oregon .404 in .050 gauge, Full Chisel, non-safety that I have no use for. PM me if you want me to make you a loop.
EDIT: I just took another look and it has the ramped links, so it is a safety chain.

Last edited:
Back