440 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
So, I had a pawn shop guy give me a nib Stihl 440 the other day, and I was thinking about doing some mods to improve it. Well, I say gave, but he actually traded me the saw for a case of bud light that fell out of the back of a truck. First, it's *way* too noisy, so I'm thinking of modding the muffler to quiet it down some. The holes are way too big. What do you all think of covering up the stock hole and drilling it out to 1/8"? I'm thinking this should give it plenty of back pressure and make it amenable to not wearing ear plugs. Damned EPA are ruining saws and making them too noisy!

Next, I really hate mehcanical carburators. How difficult would it be to retrofit an mtronic carburator on this old clunker saw? I'd also like to solder a usb cord into the ignition lead so I can make pretty graphs on my laptop.

Statements in this post may or may not have actually happened. ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track.
The USB port might also allow you to down load some cool software to improve the fuel mileage.

the USB mod is very underrated. I love mine. I can play angry birds on my saw now to keep me occupied during long boring cuts. Takes my mind off what I'm doing to pass the time better.

If you can't get the m-tronic up and running right away you can at least start by turning the carb screws in till they hit the limiter stops. The factory sets them to waste way too much fuel. I think it's a conspiracy with the oil companies to make us use more gasoline.

I would install a WiFi radio so you can tether it to your phone :)

While you're at it, might as well braze a bottle opener to the crank case. Why the hell not, right?

Screw the muffler just take it off.
Also you could do some weight reduction and get rid of those heavy Crank seals and gaskets...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Well spacemule i want to know if you are using garygoo and the ratio you plan on using :laugh:
Good post spacemule:rock:

Back