441 or 460.... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ran both, but I've ran a 460 more, I don't see what the hype is about the 460, didn't seem to be anything special...okay power, okay anti vibe, a little porky.
The problem is how much they've choked up the muffler. If you ever get a chance to run an early 046, or 460 with a muffler mod, I think you'd have a completely different opinion. Thanks EPA!

I believe what you have wrote. I was surrised by the power of the 441 I ran at a GTG, I was expecting some turd of a saw, to say the least it was NOT. Very nice saw I thought. I can't believe people bash that saw the way they do, I'm begining to wonder if they have really ran one or are just giving opinions that have no basis?:cheers:
I agree with you entirely! I was shocked how well the 441 ran first time I got to run one. How it got it's reputation I'm not sure. Plus it's even been shown that it mods fine.

the new 460's are easily fixed

GEDC1629.jpg

from this

the new ones are even smaller this is about 3/8" the new 460 outlet is stinkn tiny
GEDC1626.jpg

My experience is with a 441, 440 and 460, all running 28" bars and round skip chain in wood from limbing to full bar cuts.

The 441 is smoother than the others and needs less filter attention. It feels close powerwise to the 440 and less handy than the 460.

The 460 feels stronger and earlier in the throttle than the other two.

I own the 440 and borrowed the others.

If you are doing volume cutting and are not a pro, the 441 is a pleasant saw to run all day. It is becoming a proven runner and has been modified successfully, it is just new.

If I were buying a saw to run a 28 or 32" bar in volume cutting that required that much bar, I get the 460 and think about sending it to California. Anything else, 441 all day and still be able to open the beer when you get home.

Good thing is you can't make a bad choice!:givebeer:

I honestly think in about 10 years the 441 will be looked at as a better saw than the 440/460. Some just have a hard time excepting new and different things. Plus the 441's that I've ran are just as strong with a 32" bar as the 460 is, in timed cuts.:cheers:

Last edited:
WHAAAAT??!!

He's trolling in his own dang thread! Isn't there a law against that or something! :ices_rofl:

Lol....

The first pro saw I ever ran was an 046 at the age of 18. My first saw was a used 066 when I was 19. There's a bit of nostalgia there. :)

Overall I'm a Stihl fanboy. The MS460 is a nasty frikkin' saw. But there's REALLY something to be said about those 066's / MS660's.

:greenchainsaw:

^^^^^^^^

Hmm. I dunno.

The 660 might be Stihl's best IMO..... :greenchainsaw:

I bought a new 660 and also bought a almost new 660 and I got rid of both of them and kept my 460. The little power is'nt worth the extra weight IMO. 460 is all that you need to bury a 32'' bar and smile!:hmm3grin2orange:

I honestly think in about 10 years the 441 will be looked at as a better saw than the 440/460. Some just have a hard time excepting new and different things. Plus the 441's that I've ran are just as strong with a 32" bar as the 460 is, in timed cuts.:cheers:

I agree. I bought the 441 for the new technology, trusting that Stihl knew what they were doing. I have been completely satisfied with the 441. The filtration is key for me because I mill with the saw a lot. I have never timed timed it against another saw but I have run quite a few saws in this class(440, 460, 372,576,575,7300,7900) and none of them made me wish I had picked another saw. All of them were great saws, owned by people who took care of them. Some of them were a little stronger than the others one way or the other. They all feel about the same weight to me when fueled up ready to cut. Overall though I can't see picking a different one over this one, all things considered. The 372 is a good look'n saw though! as is the 2171. Problem is no one is watching me cut so fashion doesn't matter too much.

The only real answer is to try them yourself and form your own opinion. See which one feels best to you and has the features you prefer and that's probably the one you'll like the best. Powerwise the difference isn't significant to probably 90% of users, unless you're paid by the piece.

The only real answer is to try them yourself and form your own opinion. See which one feels best to you and has the features you prefer and that's probably the one you'll like the best. Powerwise the difference isn't significant to probably 90% of users, unless you're paid by the piece.

LOL, I'm paid by the piece and if the 441 is one second slower than the 460 in a timed cookie cut, it more than makes up for the one second per cut in the much, much better fuel mileage, read that as less stops to fuel up the saw in a day's time.

So basically you measure the difference in timed cuts by maybe one second and you measure the stop to go get your fuel jug in minutes. Its a guarantee that the 441 will cut more wood in a day than a 460. Plus better air filtration and your hands won't hurt after work or 20 years from now like they might if Vibes do end up bothering you. The 441 is just that smooth and efficient.

It bears repeating the typical person who doesn't like the 441 are those that have never run them, and those with weird statements like rougher is better and other such wits of wisdom. If you study field type cutting like I do, the strato saws are far and away more effecient cutting systems than the old saws.

Typically, I'm resistent to change just like the next person, but when the work is rough and tough, I'm the first person to try and find a better, faster way and the old saws are not it. If they were why aren't we all running old MAC's ???

I like how in this very thread owners of the 441 have timed cuts next to the 460 and at public events, no less, and the times were either the same or next to nothing in difference. Yet repeatedly others completely ignorant of the 441's power will say things like "Go for the power, get the 460" ?!?!?!?!?!

What the hell? If the Oh so powerful 460 cannot cut any faster than the 441, Uh hummmm, maybe something doesn't add up here, yet again the 441 will get a lot better fuel mileage, to the point that it will suprise a first time user of the 441.

But hey, if you like the old, rough and tough system have at it, just don't act like the 441 is crap, just because you are too stuborn or foolish to admit it.

My opinion,

Sam

LOL, I'm paid by the piece and if the 441 is one second slower than the 460 in a timed cookie cut, it more than makes up for the one second per cut in the much, much better fuel mileage, read that as less stops to fuel up the saw in a day's time.

So basically you measure the difference in timed cuts by maybe one second and you measure the stop to go get your fuel jug in minutes. Its a guarantee that the 441 will cut more wood in a day than a 460. Plus better air filtration and your hands won't hurt after work or 20 years from now like they might if Vibes do end up bothering you. The 441 is just that smooth and efficient.

It bears repeating the typical person who doesn't like the 441 are those that have never run them, and those with weird statements like rougher is better and other such wits of wisdom. If you study field type cutting like I do, the strato saws are far and away more effecient cutting systems than the old saws.

Typically, I'm resistent to change just like the next person, but when the work is rough and tough, I'm the first person to try and find a better, faster way and the old saws are not it. If they were why aren't we all running old MAC's ???

I like how in this very thread owners of the 441 have timed cuts next to the 460 and at public events, no less, and the times were either the same or next to nothing in difference. Yet repeatedly others completely ignorant of the 441's power will say things like "Go for the power, get the 460" ?!?!?!?!?!

What the hell? If the Oh so powerful 460 cannot cut any faster than the 441, Uh hummmm, maybe something doesn't add up here, yet again the 441 will get a lot better fuel mileage, to the point that it will suprise a first time user of the 441.

But hey, if you like the old, rough and tough system have at it, just don't act like the 441 is crap, just because you are too stuborn or foolish to admit it.

My opinion,

Sam

Well Said!

Run one for a week and you will forget all about the good old 046/460.

Back