460 gas tank leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greener

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok. So I just took my old beat up 460 into the shop because of the gas smell. Was told the tank leaks-no surprise there. But the guy said it is "on it's way out" and "run it till it dies." Other than using extra gas, why would such a condition decrease the life of the engine? Seems to run well.

The two faults are not related other than by age or total usage

If the crack is not to big you can use JB weld. Clean it really well and it usually works.

The two faults are not related other than by age or total usage

Ok. Update. My bad. I clarified with the tech and he said the lower bearings are getting bad. Should I run her til she dies or trade it in quick with my saw guy? If the bearings go, will it hurt the other parts of the saw, or can I just replace them then? Thanks.

Ill give u 150 for it and get rid of your headaches for u

If it is your only saw limp her thru till winter. I would think a second saw would be need while the 046 is down. You ever work on small engines? Splitting a case take some skill,it can be done,if your shop is worth a spit see if they can do the lower end. You would be wise to rebuilt her now before you have bigger problems.

Peplace the bearings ASAP. Don't ruin a good saw. 046 is worth fixing. If you aren't inclined to replace them strip it to the crankcase and have someone put the bearings in for you. The rest is pretty easy. While it's down put in a new piston (Meteor or Episan), carb. kit, intake tube, impulse line, gas line, filter and of course new crank seals will have to be put in after bearings are replaced. Good to go for another 10 years!!! As others have said Seal All for tank leak couple of coats thoroughly drying in between. Leak gone bam!
Shep

Peplace the bearings ASAP. Don't ruin a good saw. 046 is worth fixing. If you aren't inclined to replace them strip it to the crankcase and have someone put the bearings in for you. The rest is pretty easy. While it's down put in a new piston (Meteor or Episan), carb. kit, intake tube, impulse line, gas line, filter and of course new crank seals will have to be put in after bearings are replaced. Good to go for another 10 years!!! As others have said Seal All for tank leak couple of coats thoroughly drying in between. Leak gone bam!
Shep

Shep. Thanks for the tip. But wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a new, or good used 46 for close to the same price of these repairs/parts? About $1,000 brand new retail. How much do you estimate for all the parts and labor you mentioned.

Latest posts

Back