460 Magnum or new MS 461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn.54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide on my next saw I’m not a professional logger I’m just feeding my outside furnace but I’ve run into a supply of standing dead ash trees most very large. I have a STIHL MS 390 and an old 045 AVE.
The 045 runs great but I also realize that it’s old and the electronic ignition may go at anytime the 390 is okay for the smaller stuff but I believe that the constant bucking of large trees will be too much for it.
So I decided to get a newer pro saw. Now for the question do I get a brand new 461 or look for an 460?
I want the 75 cc saw because of how the 045 performs the weight is not problem.
Shawn

I’m looking at a used 460 magnum that is used but seems to be in good working order and less than half the cost of the new saw.
Thanks for your input.
Shawn

I’m going to look in person at the 460 tomorrow afternoon that will help me make my decision. The seller wants 425 for it is that too much?
Shawn

I’m going to look in person at the 460 tomorrow afternoon that will help me make my decision. The seller wants 425 for it is that too much?
Shawn

$425 isn't crazy if it's in decent shape. Pull the muffler and look at the piston at the very least. Sounds to me like he wants to get $400 for it.

Who does the porting and ballpark cost.
Shawn

Ballpark is $250-300 plus shipping. There's a lot of guys who do it. Pm a few guys who list ported saws in their signature lines and see who they recommend.

Shawn
If she has decent compression, and the seller let's you pull the muffler off to look at the piston I'd buy it even tho my shed has an 046 & a ms 460 already. But that's just me , your mileage may vary.

What tools wrenches are needed to remove the muffler? And since I don’t have a compression gauge will the hold it starter rope trick be a good check.
Shawn

What tools wrenches are needed to remove the muffler? And since I don’t have a compression gauge will the hold it starter rope trick be a good check.
Shawn
You'll need a T27 torx. Not hard at all.
The 460 is a excellent saw that will serve you well. If it runs well and hangs by the rope, I'd go for it.

You can also just pull the rope. If you have used chainsaws before you could have a good feel for how a saw pops when it has good compression. The rope hang method has been inconsistent for me. What comp do 460's usually run stock? Also, don't forget to look at the intake side wall of the cylinder through the exhaust port for any significant damage. Fine scratches can look worse than they are with a flashlight but gouges and larger scratches in the plating my warrant further investigation, maybe check the carb throat and bargain accordingly. My .02.

Back