460 vs 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i am going to get a big saw next yr.I am thinking a 460 with DP muffler or a 660.I always wanted a 660.But its alot more than I would ever use.
My question is how much more impressive is the 660 then say the 460 or 441

i am going to get a big saw next yr.I am thinking a 460 with DP muffler or a 660.I always wanted a 660.But its alot more than I would ever use.

All I can say is that the 660 (or 066) is one impressive saw. However I sold mine because I almost never used it. It was fun to start it up and run but I just don't have the need for it. My 7900 and 046 do everything big for me and aren't boat anchors in terms of weight.

If you really need the 660 then go for it, If you don't have the application then give it some thought because it's one heavy saw.

I really don't see this to be a comparison. Go look at the saws in the shop pick 'em up and decide. I have a 660 cause its quick and a lot of fun. Buy what feels best. 660 is a little heavy

Your 460 will be impressive, until the day someone comes along with a 660 and kicks sand in your face.
Just save up for a 395, get it woods ported and be done with it.

After 28" bars the 660 shines until 36". The 460 is happy at 24". It will spin a 28" but not as easily as the 660. If you have a regular use of 28"+ bar length go with the 660, if money does not matter go with the 660, if you really want to be happy go with the 660.

As far as how much more impressive the 660 is then the 460, a lot, one of the few examples of the price increase reflecting performance. In my opinion the 660 is a very good example of what a saw is supposed to be. I have lots of saws but the 660s are my favorite larger saws to use.

Pumpkins to pears.

I bought a 440 before they disappeared. Wanted something to pull a 25" bar and be a small block Chevy sort of thing, always there, always solid. I avoid the 460 because of cost, supposed rougher vibes, etc.

Then I needed a 660 for training. It wears a 32" bar mostly, has a 36 and needs a 41 for "those times". If I am in wood that big, I love it. If I need less bar, I would rather have a 28 on the 440. It screams and I love it, but it is rough on a guy.

You are a Stihl fan, nothing compares to the 660. If you need a saw to run 36"-42" of bar, this is it and there is no other reasonable Stihl to do it.

If you just want a 660, get a 660 and stop trying to make it make sense.

When cutting thru 20" oak I can not bog the 066 down when I torque on the saw where as I can't torque on the saw to much or I stop the chain.

When milling 25" oak I can push on the 066 a whole lot harder then the 044 before it bogs down.

If I didn't have the mill I would never have gotten the 066. It is way to have for caring around in the woods for me. But it sure is alot of fun to run.

Chris

Do you want something you can swing for hours or a thermonuclear device you can haul out when you have the need?

I absolutely love my 066, but my 372 gets more hours because it is lighter and easier on my compromised back. The 460 is more practical for daily use, but the 660 will save your bacon when things get big. If you want to be a showoff, get the 660. If you need a saw to use for hours, the 460 looks better.

Mark

or.... get the best of both

I'm referring to an 064 of course :popcorn:

barely heavier than 460 but with loads more grunt.

think of it like the 3 bears...

first we got the baby bear .... 260
then we have the momma bear .... 460
then comes the papa bear ... 660

oppsss...let's not forget about the grizzly bear ... 880 :chainsaw:

or.... get the best of both

I'm referring to an 064 of course :popcorn:

barely heavier than 460 but with loads more grunt.

think of it like the 3 bears...

first we got the baby bear .... 260
then we have the momma bear .... 460
then comes the papa bear ... 660

oppsss...let's not forget about the grizzly bear ... 880 :chainsaw:

Or, just make one bad arse bear and rip everyone's A$$!

Do you want something you can swing for hours or a thermonuclear device you can haul out when you have the need?

The 460 is more practical for daily use, but the 660 will save your bacon when things get big. If you want to be a showoff, get the 660. If you need a saw to use for hours, the 460 looks better.

Mark

Great comparision Oldsaw! And very true

The only right answer is.....

Everyone needs both a 460 and a 660.

And I mean everyone. :cheers:

You don't say how much cutting you do. A 460 is a saw I can use all day - usually on an 18" bar, but it runs 25" pretty well. I can hike with it, I can heft it over fences, it is an easy saw. An 880...well, I can carry the bloody thing about 200 yards, and if I can't drive right up to the site, it stays in the truck. 660 is somewhere in between, closer to the 460 than the 880, but you get the idea. I wouldn't like to do a full days work with a 660 - I'm simply not used to it. As an "amateur", I can easily do a day with a 460.

If you have to "go looking" for your trees, get a 460. If they are always big and accessible, get a 660. I wouldn't be without the 460 - if one of them had to go, it would be the 660 or 880.

But, yeah, this is AS. Get two of each, and an 880, just to make sure.... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back