462 Will modding oil flow void warranty?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would only void warranty related to the oil pump or items related to pump-bar/chain.
if your ignition fails-should be still covered

If I had handed over good money for a new 462 which I discovered had an oiling problem to the point of not being able to supply sufficient oil to a 20 inch bar and chain combination- even after I have checked for blocked oil galleries, clogged bar groove and ensured the oiler was at max setting not min- I think I would be making use of the warranty and taking it back to the shop I bought it from- long before looking to modify the oiler and void the warranty.

There’s a pin that needs to be punched in that allows the adjustment screw to be opened fully
That is the adjuster stop pin you knock in?
Does not give a whole lot more adjustment- but it might be enough,
Stihls are pretty stingy oilers at the best of times- guess by now they know what they are doing though. :laugh: If you are used to oil flinging off the end of a bar- creating rainbow images on surrounding puddles- perhaps the 462 oiler is going to disappoint you, but generally the ones I have had anything to do with oiled sufficiently up to 32".

That is the adjuster stop pin you knock in?
Does not give a whole lot more adjustment- but it might be enough,
Stihls are pretty stingy oilers at the best of times- guess by now they know what they are doing though. :laugh: If you are used to oil flinging off the end of a bar- creating rainbow images on surrounding puddles- perhaps the 462 oiler is going to disappoint you, but generally the ones I have had anything to do with oiled sufficiently up to 32".
Yes. The control bolt can only turn about 45°. Punch the pin in and it turns 90°

It’s called the magneson moss act and it’s surprising how little people understand their rights in regards to warranties.
Long story short is you can modify anything you want and it will not void a warranty. However, if your modification is the cause of the failure, then the manufacturer is not responsible for that particular issue. And by the law, they have to prove that your modification was the issue. Unfortunately, since people do not know about or understand this act, these types of rumors get spread and people think they cannot make changes to a product they own.
Some prime examples are car dealers that say you must get your oil changes at their dealership or it voids the warranty. 100% false. You do need to keep the maintenance schedule per the warranty contract, but you can do those changes at home. You just need to document them. And it’s still on the manufacturer to prove your lack of oil changes caused a failure.
here is another example. You change the fuel programming in your new car and then the transmission goes out. The dealership says it’s not covered because your modification voids the warranty. False again. It is their burden to prove that a change in fuel programming caused a failure to another component of the vehicle.
Read up on the act and know your rights. But above that, stop playing in to the BS of these companies and spreading untruths about your rights regarding warranties.

If I had handed over good money for a new 462 which I discovered had an oiling problem to the point of not being able to supply sufficient oil to a 20 inch bar and chain combination- even after I have checked for blocked oil galleries, clogged bar groove and ensured the oiler was at max setting not min- I think I would be making use of the warranty and taking it back to the shop I bought it from- long before looking to modify the oiler and void the warranty.
It’s had a Tsumura light 20 since new. Only made about 20 cuts with it. It’s maxed out to the factory stop pin and barely gets any on cardboard when checking oil flow and looks like chain is getting a little hot in the bar groove.

It’s had a Tsumura light 20 since new. Only made about 20 cuts with it. It’s maxed out to the factory stop pin and barely gets any on cardboard when checking oil flow and looks like chain is getting a little hot in the bar groove.
Oh goodness since it is under warranty, take it back to the dealer no reason to smoke your bar.

It’s called the magneson moss act and it’s surprising how little people understand their rights in regards to warranties.
Long story short is you can modify anything you want and it will not void a warranty. However, if your modification is the cause of the failure, then the manufacturer is not responsible for that particular issue. And by the law, they have to prove that your modification was the issue. Unfortunately, since people do not know about or understand this act, these types of rumors get spread and people think they cannot make changes to a product they own.
Some prime examples are car dealers that say you must get your oil changes at their dealership or it voids the warranty. 100% false. You do need to keep the maintenance schedule per the warranty contract, but you can do those changes at home. You just need to document them. And it’s still on the manufacturer to prove your lack of oil changes caused a failure.
here is another example. You change the fuel programming in your new car and then the transmission goes out. The dealership says it’s not covered because your modification voids the warranty. False again. It is their burden to prove that a change in fuel programming caused a failure to another component of the vehicle.
Read up on the act and know your rights. But above that, stop playing in to the BS of these companies and spreading untruths about your rights regarding warranties.
That all sounds fine and dandy. But have YOU ever paid your lawyer tens of thousands of dollars to try to win against a manufacturer over this in court? I promise you, their money and lawyers will hold out longer than yours will. And none of that crap even matters. If he's worried about voiding his warranty, it means that he in fact still has a warranty. He should just take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. That's the purpose of having a warranty.

And who were you addressing when you told somebody to stop spreading "untruths"?

If it's under warranty, I'd take it back and get them to fix it. That's what I did with my 361 that didn't oil worth sh!t ... two or three times. At least then there would be a paper trail documenting that they use insufficient oilers if there's ever an issue in the future...

It's a legitimate warranty issue (the bar and chain are supposed to be oiled, that's why they have oilers) and you should treat it like one.

That all sounds fine and dandy. But have YOU ever paid your lawyer tens of thousands of dollars to try to win against a manufacturer over this in court? I promise you, their money and lawyers will hold out longer than yours will. And none of that crap even matters. If he's worried about voiding his warranty, it means that he in fact still has a warranty. He should just take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. That's the purpose of having a warranty.

And who were you addressing when you told somebody to stop spreading "untruths"?
Everyone who posted that modifications void warranties. Who do you think I was talking about. Your mom?

and fighting these are not difficult. I did it with the Nissan dealership in town when they tried say I had to do my oil changes there. They know about this stuff, but try to hide it

god damn man. Who crapped in your Cheerios? The whole idea is to help people and remove the rumors that corporate America likes to spread and take advantage of us.

So quit being part of the problem and having such a bad attitude. You can either roll over like a dog (such as yourself) or stand up and say enough is enough.

Everyone who posted that modifications void warranties. Who do you think I was talking about. Your mom?

and fighting these are not difficult. I did it with the Nissan dealership in town when they tried say I had to do my oil changes there. They know about this stuff, but try to hide it

god damn man. Who crapped in your Cheerios? The whole idea is to help people and remove the rumors that corporate America likes to spread and take advantage of us.

So quit being part of the problem and having such a bad attitude. You can either roll over like a dog (such as yourself) or stand up and say enough is enough.
You know, there where no "bad attitudes" until you came along. I suggest its not worth your time hassling over. Just use the warranty and have it fixed.

Latest posts

Back