Pondering adding a 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever saw you use at some stage gets heavy but if you use them enough there are other points that will come to the front and push weight to the back. Like easy to start, vibration, how long a full tank last (if your cuttings lot) how good is the air filter and how easy to clean when your out if need be. Lots of little things you may over look but will annoy one day. It's like cookie cutting and what's best, ok you just saved a massive five seconds, then stand staring at the cut for 15 seconds🤔.
A saw is a tool you will spend many hours working with, do your OWN research and get what's right for you, not necessary the newest saw on the market, it's not always the best option.

But sensible!

I'm a homeowner firewood guy, bought my 500i because it's FUN. Wasn't practical. Saws I had already were just fine for my needs. Hell, the cost of the 500i would have bought years of wood.

But it's fun, makes me smile every time I use it, and I don't regret buying a ridiculous saw for my needs in the slightest.
Same here. But I would also add that it is less fatiguing than most saws because it gets the job done faster, and at a lighter weight. And that matters to me in my old age.

Looking for a two/three saw plan. Currently have a 261 w/18” bar and a 462 w/20” bar and 28” spare should any need arise. I am really liking the 500 but cant decide to add it with a 24” bar and sell the 462 or just add the 500 and call it a day For a three saw stable? Also have a little 150 for real small stuff.
A 150 or 150T?

I think I will run with a 661. I just don't see the benefit the 500 has over the 462 except for slight hp gain and some newer tech. The 661 would I think offer something the 500 does not have ........ better on longer bars, more power and proven tech.

I picked up a 500 a week ago with a 25 light bar balances really nice. It makes a pile of wood in a hurry. Every video i watched the 462 runs pretty close with it. I've got a 362 which is within a few ounces weight wise of the 500. I dont think ill use it much after running the 500. The 500 is a lot more fun and almost same weight. The 400 is only a pound less, and supposily a great saw but dont think id use it if i had a 500. Maybe you just need 2 500s.
Change of plans and couldn’t help myself. Sold the 462 and bought a 500 and 400 today. I may still get the 661 but need to play with these first. Will run a 20” on the 400 and 24” on the 500. May end up putting a 28 on the 500 but want to see how she runs first.

I picked up a 500 a week ago with a 25 light bar balances really nice. It makes a pile of wood in a hurry. Every video i watched the 462 runs pretty close with it. I've got a 362 which is within a few ounces weight wise of the 500. I dont think ill use it much after running the 500. The 500 is a lot more fun and almost same weight. The 400 is only a pound less, and supposily a great saw but dont think id use it if i had a 500. Maybe you just need 2 500s.
It's a good idea to have two, that way you can troubleshoot problems if needed by switching parts.

Every homeowner should buy a 500i...and add my custom titanium felling DAWGS to 'em!

I have yet to try a 500. Some people say they are extremely nice and reliable. I am a late adopter, so I am going to wait till more of the bugs get worked out, if there are many. I have read a bit about air filter challenges, for instance. I also bet Husqvarna won't be far behind on this, and perhaps may have a few improvements?

Plus I have a few other older and cheaper saws which fit my needs. I ain't a daily pro user, anyway, so I really can't justify the up-front expenditure at this juncture.

Every homeowner should buy a 500i...and add my custom titanium felling DAWGS to 'em!

I have yet to try a 500. Some people say they are extremely nice and reliable. I am a late adopter, so I am going to wait till more of the bugs get worked out, if there are many. I have read a bit about air filter challenges, for instance. I also bet Husqvarna won't be far behind on this, and perhaps may have a few improvements?

Plus I have a few other older and cheaper saws which fit my needs. I ain't a daily pro user, anyway, so I really can't justify the up-front expenditure at this juncture.
I have one and don't see an air filter problem.

Latest posts

Back