49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saws are getting well along on their rebuilds, very nice clean work you are performing, much like myself, I can`t work on or with dirty parts.

:agree2: In my 45 years as a truck mechanic I also used to spend more time cleaning than repairing. There is nothing worse than dirt all over the place.

geoff.

:cheers:

Well it would seem that a guy who came by the shop on Friday while I was bead beadblasting very graciously gave me a case of the flue......I haven't been sick for 7-8 yrs. This sucks......I hate being ill. So anyway this project is temporarily on hold......I will be back with more when I am able.:cheers:

Well time for an update......I'm done with ill....worked a full day today and survived!! Happy St. Patties!!!!! Got back to the shop and did some testing on SEM modules and coils for the 70E. The bonehead that ruined the P&C ( see earlier description) was chasing an ign problem which ended up being the SEM unit under the flywheel. This unit would not create a spark but the coil was faulty as well. The plug wire insulation was broken right where the wire came out of the coil. It would fire on a different module, but was not going to be a reliable unit. So I pulled the coil and module from a 66E that was totally trashed but had good fire. About this time my daughter called with a computer emergency so I had to quit and run home to give her a hand. These units will require a through cleaning. Also getting a points plate and condenser ready for the 49SP. This will also sport a NOS set of points. So all in all the next episode will bring us to installing the points ign and timing the 49SP and installing the SEM unit in the 70E and also installing the new clutches, drums and rims on both saws, with pics. Sorry no pics this time but still coming up to speed again.:cheers:

Yeah it sucks being sick. Sounds like your feeling better and ready to get back to it. Looking forward to seeing the finished products.
BTW the little blast box you have is killer.

Thanks Jerry....was a bad couple days......but good now. It's those salt air genes....takes the posion out of everything except your attitude..LOLOL!!!! Perhaps over the weekend I'll get a few hrs in a row on these saws and make some serious headway. I want everything the best it can be for both these saws, so there will be more blasting and going through parts to find the best I have in stock.......It's a process.....

Hey Pine....That blaster works OK but not the best.....looks better than it works. It has a poor media pickup and small return air filter that fills up quickly and if not cleaned will cause leakage of glass beads around the case gasket. It might not do that so much with a larger media such as silica sand or black beauty.
You get what you pay for and I paid $90.00 for that one. As I said it works...things get clean and shiny.

Hey Robin, sorry to hear that you have been a little under the weather. Seems as though it is going around here lately, my adviser and his wife have been down for the past week with the flu. I hope you are feeling better. I'm looking forward to the new pics but make sure you are well first.

Take care.

Good to hear that you are fit and well again Robin. I hate being ill and it always makes me grumpy, because I can't do anything. Still at least we get the next episode now, been looking forward to it.
geoff.

Good to hear that you are fit and well again Robin. I hate being ill and it always makes me grumpy, because I can't do anything. Still at least we get the next episode now, been looking forward to it.
geoff.

Yes, I am a grumpy patient too!!! Been working today on getting a whole bunch on misc. small (but necessary) parts cleaned and ready for installation too. Pics soon.....:cheers:

Well folks the usual Friday 5:00PM safety meeting ran longer than usual and at the end I had to run to do the horses before dark and left the camera at the shop.........but I did work on the saws, mostly the 70E and got pics...so tomorrow perhaps...headway has been made . ( I said early on you all would have to be patient as am I)LOL!!:cheers:

Lookin great Robin. I surely know who to ask if i have any questions on my 52e!! Bump for a great thread and great guy.

Time for the next report. This section is not terribly exciting but a necessary part of the whole. I will be spending some time on somewhat boring stuff but this is to post pics and explain how these older saws are put together and the order of parts with the idea being that if someone else has one of these saws apart and needs to know specific things about the location and reason for this part or that the info is readily available. For the same reason I will not spend a lot of time on things that are more genaric such as, rebuilding the carb, tuning etc. As I proceed the parts I am using are either NOS or have already been cleaned, tested and proved suitable for installation. I don't like surprises.....

062...Parts laid out and ready for installation include; new clutch drum and rim drive, new clutch bearing, clutch backing plate, and "new" used clutch, oil and gas caps with NOS gaskets, tank vent, kill switch, two wire retaining plates with screws, H&L adjustment grommet, chain brake block off plate with screw, chain catcher and gasket, bar oil pickup and filter screen.

063...70E case with SEM ign module and wiring installed (note the coil connection in lower right hand side of flywheel area. This corrisponds with another connecter in the recoil cover where the spark coil is located) These SEM modules were used on the early (SS# 158500 and below) E igns. These E igns have a plastic fan on the flywheel.

064...To show the difference between the early and later E igns this is a pic of the later type (SS# 158500 and above). This type has nothing under the flywheel and the coil is mounted on the cyl like a 49SP. This type has an aluminum flywheel and a "black box" trigger located in the carb compartment under the carb. I have been told that any of the points eliminator chips will work in place of the stock unit which is of course NLA. I have not tried this so can not comment as to if this works or not.

065...This a a pic of the clutch spyder and shoes installed, the sleeve sitting on the case goes on the crankshaft and is the inner race for the clutch bearing. Note the two holes...the end of most all older Jonsereds crankshafts were drilled with a grease corridor and these holes allow grease to get out to the clutch bearing. The bar tip grease gun is used in the end of the crank to achieve this. Also the chainbreak block off plate installed.

066..Clutch, sleve and backing plate.

Great pics Robin, I am learning a lot from your thread.
It's kinda like having a service manual on the 49sp with pics and explanations. :rock:

Great pics Robin, I am learning a lot from your thread.
It's kinda like having a service manual on the 49sp with pics and explanations. :rock:

Thanks part of the reason I picked these two saws to do together is that they are designed so much the same and are yet very different. My hope is that some of this info will be useful to others who have interest in these saws. I don't presume to "instruct" anyone in these posts, however these are the saws I've used, repaired and used some more for over 35 yrs and as such do know my way around them. More.....

067...New clutch bearing packed with grease.

068...Side shot of 70E with gas & oil caps, both wire retainers, and ign switch installed.

069...Bar oil pickup and filter screen intalled.

070...Clutch side mechanicals complete. Chain catcher and gasket installed.

071...This is the begining of the next post. The 49SP ign system .
Points plate with condenser, points cover, pkg. of NOS cam wipers (1 required) and NOS complete points set. The 49sp is the ONLY Jonsereds to use this type of points which are, of course NLA. Please note the yellow wire in the kit this will need to be soldered to the condenser on installation.

Things like clutch and oil flter/chain catcher etc. that are basically the same from one saw to the other will not be given further mention if already gone over.

Back