50 to 1 for old equipment????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding of this topic is this:

Older machines were produced back in the time where oils were less sophisticated than modern oils.

It isn't that new 2 stroke equipment can cope with less oil in the mix but more a case that the developments in oil mean you can run with 50:1.

I have saws ranging from 1 year old to 43 years old and I run 50:1 in them all.

I only use Stihl oil.

Dan

I run everything at 40:1 with no problems, including my older Poulan that specifies 16:1...

This is the first time that I have given my 2 cents worth on a mix thread but here goes,

We do service for a large equipment rental company. They run 50:1 Stihl oil in all of their 2 cycle equipment (every rental comes with a can of their mix). People treat these things like rentals!! I have never seen any signs of wear due to poor lubrication. Same goes for most of our commercial cutters.

On the flip side we deal with some contractors who mix everything 25 or 32:1. When these things come into the shop they are dripping with oil around the muffler and engine. We constantly have to clean spark arresters and burn out carbon plugged mufflers. I have even seen major piston damage caused from exhaust ports being carboned over.

Latest posts

Back