50cc class chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the 036 is not as much as 2 lbs heavier (pho with empty tanks), but it can of course be when they are fully loaded, depending on the bars etc you have on them.....

That's why I prefer to limb with the 9010 and a 36" bar... What's a couple kilo's here and a couple kilo's there... I don't have to pay for a gym membership that way...
:hmm3grin2orange:

I've owned and run an 026, 350, 346xp and 5100. I still have the 350 and 5100. I've no use for another 026/260 or 346xp at all!
The 026 was just a turd polished to look nice, nothing more. The 346 was just a peaky over reving gutless saw for me.
I think the 346 is the most over hyped saw ever made! Sure if want to limb all day and just cut 3" wood with your 13" bar, it's great, I'm sure. But come to KS and load one up with an 18" bar and try cutting some hardwoods with it!
I'll stick with the 5100 thank you!

My favorite saw is not he lightest or fastest i have in the 50cc range, its not as light as th 026 or as fast and torqey as the 5100. I don't know why exactlly but the 028 just suits ME, and thats all that matters.

I feel the same way about my 30+ year old 48cc Stihl 031AV. It isn't the fastest or lightest saw that I own but it sure does feel nice in my hands.

...The 346 was just a peaky over reving gutless saw for me.
I think the 346 is the most over hyped saw ever made! Sure if want to limb all day and just cut 3" wood with your 13" bar, it's great, I'm sure. But come to KS and load one up with an 18" bar and try cutting some hardwoods with it!
I'll stick with the 5100 thank you!

I used to think the same thing about 346xp's until I used a few that were well broken in. Still hands-down the best 50cc I have ever used. I haven't use a 5100, though. But the 346xp I used kicked a well broken-in MS261's butt into next week. Add in the fact they weigh nothing, are ridiculously slim, and it's a no-brainer.

I used to think the same thing about 346xp's until I used a few that were well broken in. Still hands-down the best 50cc I have ever used. I haven't use a 5100, though. But the 346xp I used kicked a well broken-in MS261's butt into next week. Add in the fact they weigh nothing, are ridiculously slim, and it's a no-brainer.

I agree mam! Some of the negative talk is about the 45cc Old Edition, but isn't mentioned.

The 50cc New Edition 346xp has more guts! But I still really like my old one, a lot.

You sure have that right! There is lots of talk about new saws, but I'd take a well-broken in older model saw any day.

Mine was the OE version, pretty well used from the previous owner, he was disappointed with it as well. I played and played with it, tore it down three times opening it up more each time. Never ran like I thought it should. Finally got drunk one night, sat out in the garage and tore down my 350 to see what it could do. Once I got over the hangover it kicked the 346 into next week!
Sent the 346 to another member here to see what I'd done wrong, he had it three hours and called wanting to buy it, he just loved the damn thing?
It's not my cup of tea!

Mine was the OE version, pretty well used from the previous owner, he was disappointed with it as well. I played and played with it, tore it down three times opening it up more each time. Never ran like I thought it should. Finally got drunk one night, sat out in the garage and tore down my 350 to see what it could do. Once I got over the hangover it kicked the 346 into next week!
Sent the 346 to another member here to see what I'd done wrong, he had it three hours and called wanting to buy it, he just loved the damn thing?
It's not my cup of tea!

I'm talking about the NE. Never ran an OE.

You can't go wrong with the 5105. I've had mine for about two years now and I like it a lot. I heat our house with wood and we burn about 8-10 cords a year. I've cut everything from 48" Red Oaks to 20" Shagbark Hickory to 40" White Elm to 10" Red Elm.

I used to cut firewood with two really sweet saws: a Stihl MS460 for bucking and a Stihl MS361 for limbing. The older I got the less I liked that setup. Too much equipment to drag to the woods and too much weight to slug around with through the timber. Although my arms were a lot bigger when I was doing that.

I am now on the one saw plan and it is serving my needs quite well. I've got 16" and 20" bars in .325 pitch, .050 gauge. Run Oregon 20LPX on those. And I've got 18" and 24" bars in 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge. Run Oregon 72LGX on the 18", and 72JGX (full skip) on the 24". The 24" is a lot of bar, but the full skip makes it doable and actually fast enough for my needs and the limited amount of use I give it. It takes an extra minute or so to swap out rims when I change from one pitch to another, but no big deal.

Lately, I've been running the 16" and look for trees to cut that don't need more bar than that. If I'm feeling pretty run down, I'll throw on the 20" so I get some extra reach without having to bend over so much when limbing out a tree on the ground. 18" 3/8 is a really nice saw/bar combo for the 5105 and I use it quite a bit to quarter the huge rounds before dragging them to the splitter.

I'm not a saw collector; I have a saw for three reasons: My family and I like wood heat, I really like cutting firewood, and I enjoy teaching my sons the value of hard work. For me the one saw plan with multiple bars works well. It simplifies my already complicated life. I've got less maintenance, fewer spare parts to have on hand, and less stuff to take to the timber. I don't care about a few milliseconds saved on cutting a 3" limb. I'm happy with what I have.

Just my two cents -- I realize that not everybody has the same priorities.

Well I'm picking up the 5105 on friday, the saw tech is out plowing roads today and couldn't swap the rims over. Thanks for the advice in the thread guys.
I'm hopefully cutting a new path for some sugaring lines monday and I'll give my feedback on the saw.

Well I'm picking up the 5105 on friday, the saw tech is out plowing roads today and couldn't swap the rims over. Thanks for the advice in the thread guys.
I'm hopefully cutting a new path for some sugaring lines monday and I'll give my feedback on the saw.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. One thing I fogot to mention is the manliest of men have been seen carrying a 5105 through the timber. :biggrin:

I agree mam! Some of the negative talk is about the 45cc Old Edition, but isn't mentioned.

The 50cc New Edition 346xp has more guts! But I still really like my old one, a lot.

I'm talking about the NE. Never ran an OE.

Your fine, I was clearing this up, I have NOT run the NE version yet, but been told I wouldn't be all that happy with it either with my style of cutting.

Congrats Dill! for a one saw plan, I think you will be really happy with it, but as others have said, see about changing out the choked up muffler if you can!

The problem with that is that there really is - 346xp! :biggrin: :big_smile:

I'd be willing to bet that if the 346xp cost $100 more in the US than the Stihl 261 you'd see a different picture here on AS.

As it is, there are enough Dolmar, Stihl and Echo owners of 50cc saws out there who are all too happy to challenge that assumption of yours. :bringit:

Congrats in the 5105, much better choice than the most over rated saw on AS, the 346xpne, really overhyped, gutless, in stock form. You'll be much happier in the long run with the 5105. It won't need to be modded to run with the better choices in the 50cc class. Now if you were going to be a cookie cutter, cut 3-4" limbs all day and keep it wound tight the 346 might have been the saw for you.
There is a reason Husky is replacing it and bringing out another model to replace it.
Congrats on the new saw.

That was pretty much my thought. I want something to write off for this year, so waiting on a 562xp is out. I always think I'll have time to modify or fix a project and I don't.
And the fact it was cheaper with the 3/8 pitch than the other choices pretty much sealed it.

Latest posts

Back