50cc class chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro-mac 10-10s!Pulls a 3/8 chain on an 18" bar just fine.Plenty fast enough and tons of torque and you can find them for under 50$.

My father just texted me, the guy in front of him at the dump was going to toss a 10-10 in the compactor. Even said it runs. That's his second dump saw in 2 years. Found a mint husky 41 last time.

The problem with that is that there really is - 346xp! :biggrin: :big_smile:

I'm not so sure about that :msp_unsure: Have you seen the changes to the AS homepage? I've pasted a screenshot below:

attachment.php

All I see is a red X.....

Anyway, if you just block logs for firewood, the Dolmars are fine, and even the MS261 - but I soon learned that the 5100S isn't really suited in the woods - the handling and rev-up lacks a lot, compared to the 346xp. :msp_wink:

I'd be willing to bet that if the 346xp cost $100 more in the US than the Stihl 261 you'd see a different picture here on AS.

As it is, there are enough Dolmar, Stihl and Echo owners of 50cc saws out there who are all too happy to challenge that assumption of yours. :bringit:

Surely, but they all are wrong! :smile2:

I have had good results from my 5105, changed out the cat muffler for a 5100S muffler. Dropped the heat considerably in the muffler which I believe helps the cylinder remain cooler and saves some weight. Great torque saw and can handle the big rounds for blocking within reason. 18" has a good balance and delivery of power. Stihl RM chain makes this saw one smooth operator.

Congrats on your purchase! Pretty much covers your 50cc needs.

Congrats in the 5105, much better choice than the most over rated saw on AS, the 346xpne, really overhyped, gutless, in stock form. You'll be much happier in the long run with the 5105. It won't need to be modded to run with the better choices in the 50cc class. Now if you were going to be a cookie cutter, cut 3-4" limbs all day and keep it wound tight the 346 might have been the saw for you.
There is a reason Husky is replacing it and bringing out another model to replace it.
Congrats on the new saw.

You guys are killing me with these pissing matches . I feel like i'm @ one of my hunting club meetings :msp_ohmy:
Seriously Indian , there is a reason Husky's re-doing the 346 . It's called : Technology .

Nikko, we have a saying in Australia, 'Horses for courses'. It may be related to horse racing, but the concept is the same for chainsaws. Some horses run better on a muddy track and others on a fast track. Likewise, for the type of wood cutting a person is doing, one saw may do a better job than another.

You get to work with relatively small, clean, green birch trees, whereas some of us cut bigger dirty hardwood. The saw and the chain need to be matched to job. You like a lot of 'over run' in your saws for fast limbing. A big chunk of hardwood will quickly drop that over run down into the actual powerband of the saw where torque will be required to do the cutting. There is no 'one size fits all' in wood cutting.

There are a lot of experienced people on this forum and if someone decides from their cutting that they prefer one saw over another, it is usually because that is what works best for their conditions. Trying to recommend a saw for someone we've never met for wood we will never cut, is a bit of a crap shoot. All we can safely do is give some guidelines about the saws and chains and let the person make their own decisions.

Your not 'wrong' in your opinion, but you can't reasonably say your 'right' either.

By the way mate, you need to get into modding. A modder can tweak a saw to do what he wants it to - it saves a lot time worrying about brands and models.

Well I'm picking up the 5105 on friday, the saw tech is out plowing roads today and couldn't swap the rims over. Thanks for the advice in the thread guys.
I'm hopefully cutting a new path for some sugaring lines monday and I'll give my feedback on the saw.

Congrats on the new saw. I know you will like it. You can always bring it over here to do some cutting if you have nothing to do! LOL :msp_thumbup:

Nikko, we have a saying in Australia, 'Horses for courses'. It may be related to horse racing, but the concept is the same for chainsaws. Some horses run better on a muddy track and others on a fast track. Likewise, for the type of wood cutting a person is doing, one saw may do a better job than another.

You get to work with relatively small, clean, green birch trees, whereas some of us cut bigger dirty hardwood. The saw and the chain need to be matched to job. You like a lot of 'over run' in your saws for fast limbing. A big chunk of hardwood will quickly drop that over run down into the actual powerband of the saw where torque will be required to do the cutting. There is no 'one size fits all' in wood cutting.

There are a lot of experienced people on this forum and if someone decides from their cutting that they prefer one saw over another, it is usually because that is what works best for their conditions. Trying to recommend a saw for someone we've never met for wood we will never cut, is a bit of a crap shoot. All we can safely do is give some guidelines about the saws and chains and let the person make their own decisions.

Your not 'wrong' in your opinion, but you can't reasonably say your 'right' either.

By the way mate, you need to get into modding. A modder can tweak a saw to do what he wants it to - it saves a lot time worrying about brands and models.

Fair enough, but I am far from the only one that prefere the 346xp - even Tommy the Stihl dealer really does, but doesn't admit it any more, as he is back in his Stihl pit by now! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Quoted for truth. Great post.

You guys are killing me with these pissing matches . I feel like i'm @ one of my hunting club meetings :msp_ohmy:
Seriously Indian , there is a reason Husky's re-doing the 346 . It's called : Technology .

And it's been on the market for over 12 years. It's time...

Indian will say the 346xp is a great saw in one post, then rip it in another...:msp_rolleyes::msp_wink:

BTW my dealer was sold out of 346s today, said they are his best seller...Just sayin.

Fair enough, but I am far from the only one that prefere the 346xp - even Tommy the Stihl dealer really does, but doesn't admit it any more, as he is back in his Stihl pit by now! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The problem, ST - and this is not to single you out, a LOT of us do it - is that opinions often come off sounding like fact, which obviously they arent.

Fact: any pro-model 50cc saw built by Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, J-Red, Shindawa etc is well manufactured and will most likely suit someone out there perfectly. (Depending upon their needs, uses and budget).
Opinion: Saw A is better than Saw B because of __________

:)

I'm not taking a shot at you Nikko, we are all different and like somethings that don't even relate to performance. Heck, I've seen some posts where people preferred the extra weight of some saw because, well they liked it (??). I've seen other posts where someone preferred a chain, not because it cut faster (it didn't), but because they liked the way it 'pulled' (??).

You like quick throttle response, that almost invariably relates to proper carburetion off of idle. A poorly responding engine is easily fixed by tweaking the throttle plate and/or changing the pop-off-pressure.

Likewise, you like extra over run for limbing. A muffler mod and increasing the width of the exhaust port will increase the blowdown of the engine. The maximum delivery ratio of the transfer ports will still remain the same, but the saw will rev further after that point. If that is not enough overrun, then increase the blowdown a couple of degrees (you don't even have to raise the exhaust, just take .5mm off the front edge of the piston)

If someone likes the way a certain saw handles, but doesn't like the throttle response - then fix the throttle response. I don't understand why they would turn away from a saw they like just because it has a quirk in stock form that they could easily fix.

Indian will say the 346xp is a great saw in one post, then rip it in another...:msp_rolleyes::msp_wink:

BTW my dealer was sold out of 346s today, said they are his best seller...Just sayin.

Yep, the dealers have had a hard time keeping them in the shop around here as well, despite the high Norwegian Husky xp prices.

Sunfish it is a great saw, the only reason I rip it from time to time is due to Troll's advice based on ........no expierence running other 50cc saws and bashing them based on paper specs. I believe I'm quite safe in saying our cutting conditions will vary greatly from those found in Norway. I'll be the first to recognize there are many other good saws out there other than a 261, the 5105, the Efco 152, the new Echo 500l, but to blindly say the 346 is the only 50cc saw that's worth a damn gets old in hurry. Especially when your making those recommendations based on no expierence, just making them from the arm chair and a computer don't cut it with me. When your saws see 35-40 hours running time in a 6 day week, in hardwoods and you actually run saws daily, I'll take those references to be real, just like mdvalees's post on the 555 it comes from someone that actually puts time on a saw. Just like MCW's reviews they are based on real world use, calls it like it is, not just based on repeated brand bashing. It gets old when you read any thread that references Stihl and one person shows up every time, telling people what a sorry overweight underpowered pos they are when that person more than likely never has run that saw in the wood for a day if ever running or touching one at all. After a year of running a 346 in a commercial setting I am well versed on what it's capabilities are, good saw, it will hold up to commercial use, but it just doesn't fit our needs like the 261 does, imho it just doesn't have near the torque in stock form, we don't like the all on the top end, wind it up and when it starts getting pulled hard it loses it compared to the 261 powering on through. It's and individual preference. I'll run any brand, got the Dolmar 133 out of the shop today. It seems there is a growing crowd that recognizes the shortcomings of the 346, it's a good saw but like with the MS 361 just plain overhyped. My issue isn't with the 346, it's with those that have nothing but blinders on thinking it is the only 50cc saw worth a damn. By unit sales the old 028 in it's various forms has outsold it ten times over, does it make it a better saw? Nope, just says the 028 was a good one. The OP bought himself a good saw, no one needs to make him feel like it isn't as capable as a 346.
He should be congratulated on his purchase. It must have fit his specific needs and personal taste. Quality saw all the way.

An OPE dealer I was at said the PS-510 was his best seller. Just because a particular model is one dealer's best seller doesn't mean much...

Not when it is a cheap model, but it is when it is a particulary expensive one, like the 346xpg is here. :smile2:

Latest posts

Back