50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a cold Sunday evening, way back in November of '99 I remember singing a little song about the Stamps. I was standing with a crowd of a few hundred beer guzzling steel workers in the middle of the street. Actually it was at King and James Street. All traffic had been stopped. Now how did that little diddy go? Oh yes let me see it went something like this

Danny Mac, headin the attack- We're the champs, F*@K the Stamps- We're the champs f...... and on and on till it was time to go back into the pub for more suds

I would bet in '98 you were singing a different tune!!!:poke::ices_rofl:

Yep, you should have waited for the late entry.....
DSCN1703.jpg

Why is that saw so clean? :monkey:

"The PM700 might even contend though...for last place"

Funny, but TRUE!

I only have one sample here of the Carlton chain on the 488 Shindaiwa, and it just doesn't cut as well as the Stihl or Oregon chain, even after it's correctly sharpened with the rakers lowered.

It does OK, but just doesn't seem to "bite" nearly as well, and that saw is slower than my other 50cc saws no matter how sharp the chain is. The 488 seems to have great power, but just doesn't grab and rip thru the wood like the Husqvarna 51 or 55 with the same length bar and Oregon .325 chain. It also got outran my an Echo CS-510, so you know it's SLOW!

I also suspected a "hardening issue" with the cutters, but never really did much testing with that particular saw or experimenting with sharpening the chain at slightly different angles, different size files, etc.......Cliff

I’m just posting this so I can find the numbers again.

Post#- 138
All saws were weighed with full tanks and a 16" B&C.
Would you believe we didn't get a weight on a 346XP? I know you're not going to make me go out and weigh mine right now, lol.

MS260- 14lb 10.8 oz = 234.8 oz = 14.675 lb

5100S- 15lb 1.2 oz = 241.2 oz = 15.075 lb + 6.4 oz more than the 260- .4 oz more than the NE346

NE 346- (MS260-14lb 10.8 oz) + 6 oz = 240.8oz = 15.05 lb per post 188

Post#188
We did get a weight on the 346 not sure why no pic? It was 6oz heavier than the MS260.

Post# 145
MS260. It's stock except for a mild muffler mod.

The NE 346XP was stock except for a muffler mod.

The 5100S was stock.

325 Chain
NE 346XP / 6.8
MS260 / 8.1
3/8 Chain
5100S / 7.4 = .6 second slower than the NE 346

I think the Shindaiwa would come out on top in one or two areas just like the others.
It would probably best the others in weight, and if fast starting was judged from my experience it would definitely win that one IMO. I stihl miss my 488.

Nope not at all, but a noticeable difference than my 5100s, I bet it would be close though. If I remember right and age has been working on me, my old 488 on my scales weighed around 15lbs ready to run. But my 5100s seemed a tad heavier. Bias may come into effect with the 488 though; I shouldn’t have sold that one. The older I get the more I like an first or second pull starting saw.

Nope not at all, but a noticeable difference than my 5100s, I bet it would be close though. If I remember right and age has been working on me, my old 488 on my scales weighed around 15lbs ready to run. But my 5100s seemed a tad heavier. Bias may come into effect with the 488 though; I shouldn’t have sold that one. The older I get the more I like an first or second pull starting saw.

The 260 is only 14 1/2 lbs fuel of fuel and oil with a 16" B&C.

Back