50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, but it's been down for a while on the street a couple back from mine (the one the Larosa's pizza is on the corner of). They cleared the brush along that street last week and exposed it. I think it came down early last summer. I'm not sure who's property it's on. I looks to be well over 30" but that's hard to determine from the street. This is where the white pick up and safety vest would come in handy....

"I think it's Carlton that doesn' have as sharp of a corner on the cutter."

Agreed, something holds them back slightly. Last year I did my own 50cc "shootout", and my Shindaiwa 488 was using the Carlton chain, and it seemed to cut slower. I had sharpened it right before the testing, but the Echo CS-510 and Husqvarna 55 easily outran it making 5 timed test cuts in a Cherry log. This surprised me as the 488 is a very powerful little saw with plenty of rpm's in the cut.

I suspected at the time that the chain wasn't as effective, another good reason to use the same chain, bar length, etc, when making comparisons between different saws......Cliff

you'd have to being a Ti-cats fan.... but my beloved Lions didn't fair too good against Hamilton.

I lived in ON for 15 years and I prefer the Ti-cats over the Ugly nots anyday.

NOBODY BLOWS LIKE THE ARGO'S :clap:

Even in their worst seasons, if my Ti-Cats won the Labour Day Classic, it was a winning season!

you prefer them to RSC?

I sure prefere the LP to the RSC in .325, by a slight margin.

The LP cuts a narrower kerf when new (so it cuts faster), and has quite a bit longer cutters, that taper off less abrubtly.

Those differences are not present in 3/8".

Can't waitfor the new test to begin!!! With some great pics, videos & singing.

I believe that the problem with the Carlton is a heat treating issue. That is why I prefer the Stihl chain. Sometimes german manufacturing quality control is simply put just better.

Can't waitfor the new test to begin!!! With some great pics, videos & singing.

I believe that the problem with the Carlton is a heat treating issue. That is why I prefer the Stihl chain. Sometimes german manufacturing quality control is simply put just better.

Both Stihl and Oregon is sharper than the few Carlton chain I have got out of the box - but they all need a stroke or two anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Some Oregons even have needed to have the rakers lowered, right out of the box (but most don't).....

We don't live in a perfect World........:givebeer:

Last edited:
More of a Stamp's fan:clap:

On a cold Sunday evening, way back in November of '99 I remember singing a little song about the Stamps. I was standing with a crowd of a few hundred beer guzzling steel workers in the middle of the street. Actually it was at King and James Street. All traffic had been stopped. Now how did that little diddy go? Oh yes let me see it went something like this

Danny Mac, headin the attack- We're the champs, F*@K the Stamps- We're the champs f...... and on and on till it was time to go back into the pub for more suds

Back