50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only echo I have come in was the older 5000. Like the 4500 but 50cc. Really liked that saw. After I got done with it guy said it never cut like that since new.

I'd like to find a clean 5000, I have a cs-4600 and I love it.

Closest thing I have to 50cc is an 032, and that thing is a tank.

I generally overlook the 50cc class, my lineup goes 45/60/80cc.

I've had my share of 50cc saws and currently own 6 at last count. I've ported a few I've owned, and a few for friends, some are older saw some newer. I won't say much about the older saws, those are more for the collectors, and parts aren't always plentiful.

When it comes to the more common models here, yes I'll go with the flow on this one, even though I usually goes against it. My favorite 50cc saw, really comes down to a group of saws, 351,353,346OE and NE.

The Stihl 260 is a good saw in its own right, similar in some ways to the old 50cc Poulan saws of the same era. Simple and tough, but not necessarily a powerhouse.

The 5100 Dolmar is by far my least favorite modern 50cc offering for a number of reasons, I'll leave it at that.

The MS261 is a really well built saw that has a lot going for it, especially as a real firewood saw. An underrated saw here, and for no good reason I can come up with, well maybe it's stupid Stihl price tag. The balance and weight group sure have beaten that horse to death.

The verdict is still out on the 550. Fit and finish is lacking, the air filter on mine doesn't fit properly so it sucks in dust like crazy. The transfer seals will be coming off to prevent an inevitable air leak, mine has the older poorly molded seals.

Have yet to run the Echo, no doubt that at $350 it's a serious contender for bang for your buck.

Anyway that's my take on things, for whatever it's worth.

Hmmm 50cc. Lots of great saws. 2 I would like to spend a lot of time with would be an echo 501sx and husqvarna 550.
I would have no problem owning a 5105 either. I have considered a 550 xpg or 5105h but hand warmers are not that expensive . lol

My one and only 50cc saw is a 550xp, it cuts, handles and feels awesome and has been 100% reliable. But on the downside it has an outboard clutch, the air filter is not up to the task with our dry hardwoods and I don't have much confidence in the transfer cover seals standing the test of time.
Some times I think a ported 241 would have been a better option.... the grass is always greener on the other side though.
I'm with Andyshine the jury is still out on the 550xp.

Come on guys, stays serious. Pro saws are for pro use and in pro use the saw is used for 2-4 years and then the next. Who cares about long term reliability.

Come on guys, stays serious. Pro saws are for pro use and in pro use the saw is used for 2-4 years and then the next. Who cares about long term reliability.

2-4 years of use in a pro's hands, is long term durability! So yes I think it matters to most everyone.

2-4 years of use in a pro's hands, is long term durability! So yes I think it matters to most everyone.
Yeah I was assuming that I would be misunderstood. With long term durability I meant the pro saws of yesterdecades. Which many people still use today with only minor service up to today.

I understood. My point is if a saw can last that long in professional use, it will likely be around a long time for the non pro. Plastics and some electrical components to break down with time, so no I doubt some of the newest saws will still be running 30+ years from now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

echo 490. Pull the restrictor out of the muff open the deflector and retune its like a different saw. For a fire wood hack like me its a great saw. @Andyshine77 i believe it was you videos on the 590 that made me decide to open up the muff and retune my 490 and 590. Just wanted to say thanks for the informative videos from a new guy to saws as a hobby.

I own several saws in this category and love most all of them, one Echo not to overlook would be the CS510, 520, 530 series, after nothing more than a good MM and carb re-tune, these saws really rip, my 510 and 520 see plenty of action and many times are the first I grab when I go out to the ole woodsIMG_20160208_095706031.jpg .

Latest posts

Back