5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equally, schmequally......If they're lean they will fail. It's only a matter of when. 1 month or 1 year so it takes dealer/company cooperation to see these things don't happen.

One could look at it this way:

"One could look at it this way:" if they fail its more cheddar for the dealer schmealer.

:yoyo:

"One could look at it this way:" if they fail its more cheddar for the dealer schmealer.

Uh, yea if they're under warranty and that's an entire other thought to ponder. :monkey:

Uh, yea if they're under warranty and that's an entire other thought to ponder. :monkey:

That is why saws do not have hour meters, just an arbritary number of days since purchased. :hmm3grin2orange:

What would you non-dealers feel a fair price for some blown up 5100s would be?

Ballpark it, single saw purchase.

That is why saws do not have hour meters, just an arbritary number of days since purchased. :hmm3grin2orange:

Kind of irrelevant I guess, since none every seem to be available to purchase. ;)

Depends on the dealer & the severity of the "blow up" - i mean you can get a piston set for less than $100, but if you need the cylinder too... There's one guy trying to sell his (that he blew up a few weeks back) for $200 in the Tradin' Post. Considering its blowing 120 compression (which he calls "great" ?!?) and had "minor score marks" (again "?!?!") Id say thats way too much, but perhaps someone will bite. Perhaps if he could confirm the cylinder is ok, then its worth it, but without that, its a big risk.

As Fastcast mentioned though, it seems like Dolmar is quick to just replace them, so im not sure how many, if any, have been available for sale in that condition.

Question is: what are they doing will all of these replacement saws? They obviously cant sell them as new, or reuse the parts, so one would expect that somewhere there are warehouses full of "refurbished" dolmar 5100s - but I sure havent heard of them...

Last edited:
Kind of irrelevant I guess, since none every seem to be available to purchase. ;)

The 5100 seems to MSRP around $500.00? I do not actually know.

People seem to have paid anywhere from $300-550.00 for them? Those are the numbers that I have been offered to purchase a new 5100 so I am guessing that is typical.

These numbers are why some folks are holding on to them after they get burnt. Used ones seem to fetch about $250-300.00 in supposed good running condition. The last ones that I have actually had in my hands were scored and the owners still wanted at least $200.00 each.

So the question remains what should a fellow that paid $450.00 for a 5100 that put minimal use on it before the warranty ran out and then ruined a piston and cylinder expect to get?

I do not know the answer to the question but I know that at least two have sold for $200.00 with burnt P/C but they were near new condition otherwise.

Remove the dealer from the issue entirely. What does/should a homeowner/commercial customer expect as a seller or buyer?

Last edited:
They probably end up being crushed, I would also guess that dolmar probably has their engineers going over them to see what could be improved on, hence the 5105 model, As far as I'm concerned thats the only reason the 5105 exists because of the failure with the 5100 model.

They probably end up being crushed, I would also guess that dolmar probably has their engineers going over them to see what could be improved on, hence the 5105 model, As far as I'm concerned thats the only reason the 5105 exists because of the failure with the 5100 model.

If thats the reason for the 5105 good thing i held out and bought a 5105 instead of a 5100. How much does a muffler mod do for the 5100 and 5105 thats the next thing to be done on the 5105.
The 5105 i bought was 419 plus tax plus a case my wife said if your paying that much it darn well better be stored in the case when not in use. And i said yes deer.
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
So the question remains what should a fellow that paid $450.00 for a 5100 that put minimal use on it before the warranty ran out and then ruined a piston and cylinder expect to get?

I do not know the answer to the question but I know that at least two have sold for $200.00 with burnt P/C but they were near new condition otherwise.

Remove the dealer from the issue entirely. What does/should a homeowner/commercial customer expect as a seller or buyer?

You lost me......:dizzy:

Also has anyone asked these fellas with blown up saws what type of 2 cycle oil their using. When i purchase mine i asked the dealer if the convential 2 cycle stihl oil i use would work he said no. Use only dolmar 2 cycle oil has he had checked the specs and said dolmar oil is full synthetic. Maybe that could be a concern with these fellas buyying any 2 cycle oil and using and not have the lubricating abblity the saws require running the higher rpm. Their a reason lots of high performance engines only run full synthetic oils!!!!!!!!

:monkey:

You lost me......:dizzy:
Hypothetical ? as I do not own a 5100.

I own a 5100. I paid $450.00 for it new a little over 2 1/2 years ago. It looks new, still has 90% paint on original bar 1/2 cutters on original chain.

It is out of warranty.

Dealer wants $200.00 to put new top end on, maybe more to fix actual issues if any other not covered by original $200.00 quote.

If I was to sell this saw to you, person to person, what amount of money should I expect to be able to get for my saw?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No longer a hypothetical ?

I have a base line for newer Stihls, Husqvarnas in all their flavors, Echos and even Makitas products because that is what I see the most of. I do not have a feel for Dolmars under 60cc. What does a Dolmar nut think is a fair price for a good condition torched 5100 person to person?

$200.00 person to person buyer or seller seem fair? That is fairly close to what torched 359s in otherwise fair to good shape fetch.

There is not a lot of them out there does that make them worth more or less $ right now person to person? Dealer #s seem to be quite different.

Last edited:
Hypothetical ? as I do not own a 5100.

I own a 5100. I paid $450.00 for it new a little over 2 1/2 years ago. It looks new, still has 90% paint on original bar 1/2 cutters on original chain.

It is out of warranty.

Dealer wants $200.00 to put new top end on, maybe more to fix actual issues if any other not covered by original $200.00 quote.

If I was to sell this saw to you, person to person, what amount of money should I expect to be able to get for my saw?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No longer a hypothetical ?

I have a base line for newer Stihls, Husqvarnas in all their flavors, Echos and even Makitas products because that is what I see the most of. I do not have a feel for Dolmars under 60cc. What does a Dolmar nut think is a fair price for a good condition torched 5100 person to person?

$200.00 person to person buyer or seller seem fair? That is fairly close to what torched 359s in otherwise fair to good shape fetch.

There is not a lot of them out there does that make them worth more or less $ right now person to person? Dealer #s seem to be quite different.

What would be the going price for a really clean MS 260 with a scored cylinder?

How about a super clean 346XP with a toasted cylinder?

Apples, Apples.

Hopefully someone tells Baileys about these "Hundreds" of fried cylinders so they can tool up a $90 kit.

Also has anyone asked these fellas with blown up saws what type of 2 cycle oil their using. When i purchase mine i asked the dealer if the convential 2 cycle stihl oil i use would work he said no. Use only dolmar 2 cycle oil has he had checked the specs and said dolmar oil is full synthetic. Maybe that could be a concern with these fellas buyying any 2 cycle oil and using and not have the lubricating abblity the saws require running the higher rpm. Their a reason lots of high performance engines only run full synthetic oils!!!!!!!!

:monkey:

My Dolmar Rep said that if genuine Dolmar oil wasnt available, he strongly recommends Echo Power Blend mixed at 40:1. I thought this was odd, since its not fully synthetic, but so far its been pretty solid stuff for me.

I would also guess that dolmar probably has their engineers going over them to see what could be improved on, hence the 5105 model, As far as I'm concerned thats the only reason the 5105 exists because of the failure with the 5100 model.

We keep hearing this as if it's fact, maybe it is but does anyone know for sure:dunno: There's many 5100s out there that have worked hard for several years now and have not failed.....Mine is 4 years old now and still runs strong as ever!

Even Spike said of the ones he sold and tuned "they are all still running" but we still keep hearing about some design flaw in the 5100 that makes it burn up. :dizzy:

As if saw manufactures never update models & numbers to improve upon the original design. If the 5100 had some serious design flaw that made them burn up, they'd all do it.

Seems more like speculation and rumor than anything else.....The flaw of the 5100 is being a hot rod right out of the box, making it unforgiving when not tuned correctly....IMO

The flaw of the 5100 is being a hot rod right out of the box, making it unforgiving when not tuned correctly....IMO

100%

It IS a hot rod, treated with respect it should last ones lifetime.

There's a bunch of 30 year old saws runnin' like new.

Last edited:
What would be the going price for a really clean MS 260 with a scored cylinder? +$250.00

How about a super clean 346XP with a toasted cylinder? $200-250.00

Apples, Apples. Not really, aftermarket kits with multiple choices and OEM availible for the Stihl and Husky, plus a couple decades of used saws to pull from.

Hopefully someone tells Baileys about these "Hundreds" of fried cylinders so they can tool up a $90 kit.

I would think they Dolmar would have to sell a lot more to make it worth the effort.

So I guess that $200.00 for a 5100 with a scored P/C, person to person is good. Good to know.

Last edited:
$200.00 person to person buyer or seller seem fair?

400 for a new one that aint worth a darn, 200 for a toe up one and 200 to fix it or more.

hee,hee,

nope the numbers dont work for me.

P.S. i paid $100 bucks for my 5100 killer on ebay.

:laugh:

400 for a new one that aint worth a darn, 200 for a toe up one and 200 to fix it or more.

hee,hee,

nope the numbers dont work for me.

P.S. i paid $100 bucks for my 5100 killer on ebay.

:laugh:

What is this "5100 killer" you got for $100?

Back