5100S with Decomp Valve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I noticed in a past post that the Dolmar 5100S can also come with a "D" designation which means it would be equipped with a decompression valve.

Has anybody seen one of those?

Anybody know of where to get one?

Thanks!

Last question (hopefully)...

For those who have this saw without the Decomp valve, how hard or easy is this puppy to start?

Sorry for all the questions gang. This may be my first chainsaw purchase, and up to this point, I've been looking pretty hard at the Husky 353, but the Dolmar 5100S seems like a really nice value. Thanks again.

5100 deco

Yea you want a deco for a PS5100 huh? Well I asked for one wayyyyy back when this family of saws was introduced when I mentioned it in this board I was TOLD that if you could not pull the cord you should not be using a saw.. I have many many many customers asking for the deco because the saw has such a snappy, hard pull. I have been told by Dolmar there is a new coil/ starting system being developed hopefully this will solve the snappy pull. Here is the thing though the cylinder has a precast post for a deco but it is not milled.. HMMMM seems like someone was thinking of installing a deco at one time. At this time there is no happy start for this family of saws PS460, PS510, PS5100 If and when they become available I will let this forum know.

Scott

I've seen 5100s listed at 4 hp and some listed at 3.8 hp. Has Dolmar reassessed their hp rating or do those numbers reflect the addition of a decomp valve? Mine, without the decomp, takes a few tugs with the switch up and then a couple with it in the run position. Once hot, it starts on the first pull. I have the bad habit of not using the decomp to start any of my saws, but the 5100 does bite back some.
Pat

I knew I wasn't losing my mind. I read this in a past post from last year, but I just traded PMs with Dolmar_Tech_Mgr to clear things up and you can get a decompression valve on the 5100S if one were to buy from Dolmar the complete cylinder and piston assembly + the decompression valve accessory and have it installed.

It doesn't sound cheap at all though.

Anybody ever get this done?

If the deco P&C were available i would have them in stock BUT the part # is not yet in the system and there is none in the ole USofA..

Terry if there are available let me know...Also would be appreciated as a FACTORY OPTION.. instead of a dealer installed option.

I'm gonna check out the 5100S in the morning and there's a good chance she'll be coming home with me tomorrow. :cheers:

Mucho thanks to this awesome forum! :)

I'll see how hard it really is to turn this puppy over, regardless it may be something I may be interested in you doing for me down the road. Please keep us posted if you find out anything on the decomp valve install.

It is noticable that it pulls hard, but I wouldn't give up the performance if I would loose .3hp. I'm going to run it against some 346's July 29th. My5100 is not modified. I am pretty sure some of the 346's are modified. If they beat me, I'll know they are!
Scott

I heard about them being hard to pull before I purchased too. I don't think it's that bad personally. I just set it on the ground, put my right foot on the bottom of the back handle and my left hand on the top handle and pull with my right hand. On a couple occasions it has jumped back a bit but not normally and I just chalked it up to me not having a good hold of it before pulling. Don't worrrrrrrrry about it, it's not that bad!

Thanks gang for all the reassurances!

I put a 5100S on reserve at a local Dolmar dealer. (The dealer locator from Dolmar's website is great!)

I'm gonna pick it up the early part of next week.

Woohoo! My FIRST chainsaw! :clap:

Hack, Good luck with the new Dolmar I am sure you will be happy with it. Are you getting it with .325" or 3/8" pitch? We sell 90% with the 3/8" either 18" or 20" Well good luck and enjoy your Dolmar:cheers:

Scott

I've got a 5100 with 16" bar and .325 round chisel chain. The saw is running strong now, just needed run awhile. Feels like it could pull a bigger chip than what it is now. Feels like alot of the power is being wasted. I'm thinking about changing to 3/8. Plus that's what my other saws run. How does it handle the 3/8. I bet it really lives up to its potential with 3/8. I know it uses the small husky bar mount, but what about sprocket? Same as husky?

Hey Scott -

The dealer who I'm purchasing from is also a Stihl dealer. He seems to be pretty knowledgable of the saw, at least over the phone, and was pretty excited about it. He never at one time tried to push a Stihl saw on me. He said the saw pulls really well, and can easily handle a 3/8" chain which is what he's giving me. I'm opting for an 18" bar.

He further mentioned that the pros he's sold it to really like 'em and he's yet to see one come back, although I don't know how many he's actually sold - I'll find out when I pick up the saw.

Again, I like to thank this forum and all the members. I've scoured the archives and read every post I could about the Husky 346/350/353/357/359 models and the Stihl 026/026 Pro/361. LOTS of great info! This Dolmar was a late entry, and effectively won out.

And, yeah, I'm stoked! :D A tad intimidated, but stoked nonetheless!

Last edited:
like i said we sell most PS5100's with 3/8" pitch, The small spline 3/8"-7 rim sprocket # is 18720 from oregon The bar is a K095 mount or a CJL mount.

Scott

pallis said:
I've seen 5100s listed at 4 hp and some listed at 3.8 hp. ....
The European PS 5000 are rated at 3.8 kW/3.8 hp.
They are availiable with or without deco valve(H), heated handles (D) and reportedly also the 14500 rpm coil (S).

The 5100S were originally rated at 2.9 kW/4.0 hp, and later 2.9 kW/4.0 bhp.

All this combinations of kW, hp and bhp are possible as we are talking about rounded off numbers - but the chance that 2.9 kW adds up with 4.0 bhp is extremely remote.

All versions share the same bore and stroke.

I been thinking of buying a 5100S with a 16" 95 series, low pro, oregon bar......called the local dealer he quoted $385...is this a fair price? I've been using a 346 for my main carving saw, and am hoping for a little more power, with the same rpom's with the 5100.

Latest posts

Back