5100S with Decomp Valve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody that had a 346xp that bought a 5100S from me was not disappointed... They rave about the saws power.. My honest opinion I would not recommend narrow curf 95 chain on this saw if you are using .325" use Oregons 20 series Mostly we sell then pulling full 3/8" so they can have a larger tooth that stays sharp longer. Also being able to share chains with larger saws they already own..

Scott

CuttinScott.....When holding a chainsaw at chest height for several hours every day...skimming a pound off by using a lighter laminated bar and low pro chain makes alot of difference. Also the narrow kewrf allows me to cut around corners. I'd like to see some full chisel low pro. to use on those bars.......

Chainsaw Master said:
I been thinking of buying a 5100S with a 16" 95 series, low pro, oregon bar.......
The Oregon 95VP is not a low profile chain, it is a narrow kerf chain - and a very good chain on most 3 cube saws. The 5100s is the most powerful 3 cube saw, and it will most likely cut better with Stihl RS or Oregon LP.

The low profile chains are the 30-series LG and SL chains, which I believe they are discontinuing.
I don't believe many people will miss them, except Skwerl and Grande Dog. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Chainsaw Master said:
I been thinking of buying a 5100S with a 16" 95 series, low pro, oregon bar......called the local dealer he quoted $385...is this a fair price? I've been using a 346 for my main carving saw, and am hoping for a little more power, with the same rpom's with the 5100.

I think that is a fair price. Does that include sales tax? Full retail is $410 with an 18" bar and 1 loop of chain. Large volume dealers buy that saw for about $315, small town shops may pay as much as $350. I broke down and bought one - I won't say what I paid and hurt everyones feelings, but let's say I couldn't pass up the SMOKING hot deal I got. I made the choice to go with an 18" bar and 3/8" .050 chain. Mostly all softwoods out here, so I set the saw up the way I thought it would perform best for my needs. And, to tell you the truth, I doubt I will have the bar buried as I now have a Shindaiwa 757 for the big stuff.

Once I get mine, I will do some testing on cutting times. I know Steve (Freakingstang) could also be convinced to do some testing and post the cutting times. If someone wants to offer up a .325" bar, rim sprocket and 18" bar (for testing only-I would then return it) I'm game. The same likely goes for Steve, although I don't want to speak for him. His saw is broken in and muffler modded, I haven't even got mine yet :help:

I did compete with my 5100 last Saturday using 3/8 7 square chisel. The class was 46 to 65cc, so it gave up a lot of cubes to saws like 6400, 365, Jred630. My time was 8.1 sec 3 cuts in 6" square poplar. There was another 5100 running 325/7 , his time was in the high 7's.The 630 won with a time around 6.8. Only 1 346 beat me, don't recall the time, 7 something. I did experiment with some different chain/sprocket combos. The 325/7 with round chisel was about .2sec slower than 3/8 7 with square filed. 325/8 was at least .5 sec slower than 325/7. All 1 cut in 10" round cottonwood.
Scott

McC said:
I did compete with my 5100 last Saturday using 3/8 7 square chisel. The class was 46 to 65cc.

That seems like a HUGE spread - got any mods done to your saw?

McC said:
My time was 8.1 sec 3 cuts in 6" square poplar. There was another 5100 running 325/7 , his time was in the high 7's.

Do you attribute that time difference to human performance? How do you think round filed chisel chain would perform against the .325 and the square 3/8?

McC said:
I did experiment with some different chain/sprocket combos. The 325/7 with round chisel was about .2sec slower than 3/8 7 with square filed. 325/8 was at least .5 sec slower than 325/7. All 1 cut in 10" round cottonwood. Scott

Some good info. Thanks, Scott! What are your overall thoughts on the saw? What bar length are you running?

-Josh

I do not have an 18" bar, but I do have a 12 and a 16 in .325. I am curious how that saw will perform in smaller hardwood with a .328/8. I run a 12" bar on my 346 in .325. I just put a 8 pin sprocket on, but have not had the opportunity to try it yet. I would be willing to send you a bar and chain for testing. I think I will stay with my 346, but the 5100 is a tempting saw.

Jim

Can't believe I missed this.

Yup, I have a 5100 and love it to death. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

I run 3/8 with a 7 pin on mine. It has a 16" bar. If I need a longer bar, i grab a bigger saw.

This saw will cut hardwood with an 18" bar. IMO, it is THE BEST 50cc saw ever made. You could run it all day and not feel any more stain in your hands and body then searching ebay for hours.

I have ran a couple different test timed cuts with mine. They were all with 16" bars. But I tried .325 with a 7 pin, .325 with an 8 pin and then 3/8 with a 7 pin. I still wish I could find a small spline 3/8- 8pin rim.

I run the 3/8. It is noticably quicker and the saw has the power to carry the 3/8 chain faster than the .325 in most conditions. I will try to post up some vids in the next week or so. I originally did off the real oregon in each chain size, then i tried them all with my hand filed square chain. My chain is consistant enough to see that the 3/8 with the square was a good 1/2 tto 3/4 second faster than the best .325 chain i tried. This was just my experience. I typically use this saw for wood 12-14" and less in dia. I had an 18" on it because I had a bar that fit the saw. It will pull the 18" just fine. I could only imagine what this saw is capable of in softwoods. Oak, Elm, Locust, etc are not the best woods to be comparing a small saw, but that is most of the stuff we cut out here. lol

That is all for now, will try to get some vids up in the next week or so, but bare with me as i am extremly busy with work right now (16-18 hour days)

Steve

The only thing I did to the saw is remove the muffler screen. The 325 chain was the same with the 7 and 8 sprocket on an 18" bar. The 3/8 7 was square filled on a windsor speed tip 16" I also found by timing cuts that the saw is fastest with the high speed mixture right in the middle of the limiters. I love the saw. Sold a 116 and 114 to pay for it. Kept my 120, but do not run it much now. Z4lunch posted the times on the "Washington county saw race Jackson Wi" thread. Here's a video clip of the 5100 at the race.
Scott

Even when my muffler was stock, it pulled 3/8 better. I did do a muffler mod to it. I gutted the cage out of the muffler, and opened the outlet hole from 3/8" to 3/4". I raised the stock outlet scoop slightly. It really woke this saw up. It still only has about 30 tanks threw it. I kept it stock looking, and it is just a tad louder than stock, but has a mean bark to it.

Proud new parent!

Got my saw today - 18" 3/8 .050 bar - isn't she a beauty? Can't wait to put my first tank of fuel through her next week!

1194Dolmar1.jpg

1194Dolmar2.jpg

1194Dolmar3.jpg

sawinredneck said:
It's way too clean!!!!! Boy are you going to catch it for that!!!!
Andy

Nah, not by me. They are good enough saws to keep clean and purty. Mine looks very similar. I was hot when i found a paint chip on the front part of the oil tank on mine.....

It's my baby's baby. lol.

SawTroll said:
Well, yes - but I don't like the metal colored mufflers of the newer Dolmars....:D :blob2:

Can of hi-temp flat black BBQ grill paint will take care of that pretty easy!

Congrats on the saw man, you have been bitten lol, careful now. Please do read the threads on protetive gear and take it to heart, respect the power you are holding and always have an 'out', never run it directly in front of you ect (cut to the side). Keep yer chain sharp, your wits about you, your equipment clean and your work area clear. There are many years of experience here and its well worth listening to. Never be afraid of asking questions if you're not sure, thats just common sense. So cheers and welcome!!

Serge

Got my new 5100, carves real nice, seems to have lots more guts than the 346. When I run her wide open, she really Screams. If it holds up as well as the 346, I'll be real happy
Heres a pic of first carving with it.....
newDolmar.jpg

it was a 45 min. quickie

Back